The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Basil Brush
Hi, do you know if the free bus service runs between Fallowfield and the campus?

The only free bus runs between main campus and north campus. To get to uni from Fallowfield you'll need to either cycle, or buy a bus pass, which was £200 last year for annual unlimited bus travel across all of greater Manchester on all Stagecoach and Magic buses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1861
Does Victoria Halls contain a TV in the lounge with either an Xbox 360 or PS3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Oboist.
Whitworth Park people! Which building are you in?
I'm in Aberdeen :smile:

Pretty sure I'm in Dilworth, but I have no idea what that means! :P
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm really glad that the person you met had a good experience in private halls, and I hope that you have an equally good experience.

However, private halls do have problems other than sociability that may not be immediately obvious. For instance, what happens if you drop out? Never say never - some people do. If you're in uni halls then you don't have to continue paying rent, but in private halls you have to pay for the rest of the year. Some companies, eg Unite, have developed a reputation for poor maintenance. Following Opal going bust, the residents of Wilmslow Park found themselves facing an illegal eviction earlier this summer, and had to get the Union involved to stop it. The list goes on.

I'm not saying that uni halls are always perfect, but they do offer significant advantages in some respects, and for most people they are the best option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I had the choice I would stay in university halls no questions asked but unfortunately I won't be able to this year for reasons beyond my control. It's just abit unnerving to have to keep reading all the negative comments about private halls when I'm already anxious about staying in them and quite literally have no other choice :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harriet6250
If I had the choice I would stay in university halls no questions asked but unfortunately I won't be able to this year for reasons beyond my control. It's just abit unnerving to have to keep reading all the negative comments about private halls when I'm already anxious about staying in them and quite literally have no other choice :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I do get that, but at the same time I do my best on these forums to tell it how it is, and so I didn't want you to come away with the impression that I am in some way irrationally attached to the idea of uni halls above all else.

Perhaps you could come back here in a few months and write a review of your halls, so that future students can know what they're like? If you do, I'll put it on the foray page of this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RebeccaMarie
Ancient History and Archaeology! What about you? Im in AC.02.12 so might be close to you!

Politics and International Relations. I'm AC01.11.76
Reply 1866
This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you know what your address is at the accommodation? I'd like my mail to be directed there :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ext
This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you know what your address is at the accommodation? I'd like my mail to be directed there :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send me a pm with your room number and hall and I'll tell you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey! Cool I'll probably see you around sometime then!
Original post by RebeccaMarie
I'm at Whitworth too but in Acomb!

Original post by UzairAhmadje
I'm in Dilworth:ahee:

Original post by Amberlabambs
Pretty sure I'm in Dilworth, but I have no idea what that means! :P

Aw man - Aberdeen is where it's at! :P

I'm still flatmate-less... They'll turn up!

Hope to see you all around in September :biggrin:
Reply 1870
Heyy, I'm in Owens Park.....can anyone decipher what T5.11.02 means? I'm assuming it means tower block, floor 5, flat 11 and room 2 but unsure, thanks! :smile:
Hi everyone!

I need you help QUICKLY. I should apply for accommodation till the 31st of August and I have just started to study this question. So I know nothing about accommodation, but I need to make a decision, correct decision quickly. SO, PLEASE, HELP.

I am an international (non UK/EU) postgraduate student. My priorities are:

1. Closest to the place of study. I don’t want waste time on the road. Do you know where the study facilities are situated? On the program description it is written: University Hospital South Manchester (UHSM) Wythenshawe site and some units are here Stopford Building on Oxford Road. How this are of Manchester is called? What hall is closest to this buildings?

2. I want a quiet place where I can go to sleep early and my sleep will not be interrupted by parties, music, etc. I train martial arts, so I get tired after my workout and need extra sleep hours.

3. By the way, I am not interested in clubs, night life and going out. So entertainment, pubs, nights clubs and “wild nights” is NOT my priority.

4. I am a Muslim. Do you know are there any Jami (Mosque) close to the any of the halls? Maybe there any analogous of Kosher halls for Muslims? Are there groups of Muslims in any halls? If there any Muslims let’s get connected.

Please give me your advice URGENTLY. I need submit my application in some hours.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I do get that, but at the same time I do my best on these forums to tell it how it is, and so I didn't want you to come away with the impression that I am in some way irrationally attached to the idea of uni halls above all else.

Perhaps you could come back here in a few months and write a review of your halls, so that future students can know what they're like? If you do, I'll put it on the foray page of this thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do appreciate that and you have even a great help answering all our questions etc so thanks for that. I will definitely write a review in a few months. It's not been an easy decision for me to stay in private halls, I even tried to defer my entry until next year so I could live in university residences. I just hope it all works out okay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1873
Send me a pm with your room number and hall and I'll tell you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Origami, I was wondering if you knew anything about Burgess in Canterbury court? I am apparently flat 11, but there are only 7? One of my flat mates is also female, and I've been told that flats are usually unisex? I'm rather confused and was wondering if you had any insight?
Original post by MMA_Fighter
Hi everyone!

I need you help QUICKLY. I should apply for accommodation till the 31st of August and I have just started to study this question. So I know nothing about accommodation, but I need to make a decision, correct decision quickly. SO, PLEASE, HELP.

I am an international (non UK/EU) postgraduate student. My priorities are:

1. Closest to the place of study. I don’t want waste time on the road. Do you know where the study facilities are situated? On the program description it is written: University Hospital South Manchester (UHSM) Wythenshawe site and some units are here Stopford Building on Oxford Road. How this are of Manchester is called? What hall is closest to this buildings?

2. I want a quiet place where I can go to sleep early and my sleep will not be interrupted by parties, music, etc. I train martial arts, so I get tired after my workout and need extra sleep hours.

3. By the way, I am not interested in clubs, night life and going out. So entertainment, pubs, nights clubs and “wild nights” is NOT my priority.

4. I am a Muslim. Do you know are there any Jami (Mosque) close to the any of the halls? Maybe there any analogous of Kosher halls for Muslims? Are there groups of Muslims in any halls? If there any Muslims let’s get connected.

Please give me your advice URGENTLY. I need submit my application in some hours.

Thanks in advance.

First off, calm down. There's some useful info here - whilst it's aimed at undergrads, much of it applies to postgrads too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

1. I would suggest having a look on google maps. Stopford Building is on the south side of the main campus, and so I would suggest halls that are on City Campus. Wythenshawe is miles out, a long way from halls of residence and generally not a very nice area, so you'll need to get a bus down there.
2 & 3. Most postgrads are quite quiet anyway. Again, I would suggest City Campus halls.

4. There are no halls specifically for Muslim students that are owned by the university. Hartley Hall is owned privately and enforces a Muslim lifestyle, but it's in Whalley Range which is a significant distance away.

There are several local mosques as many of the locals are Muslim. You might like to join the Islamic Soc though, details of which can be found on the UMSU website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rimmy
Origami, I was wondering if you knew anything about Burgess in Canterbury court? I am apparently flat 11, but there are only 7? One of my flat mates is also female, and I've been told that flats are usually unisex? I'm rather confused and was wondering if you had any insight?

I have more limited knowledge of Victoria Park than Fallowfield tbh, and I just don't know enough about Canterbury to be able to talk authoritatively about such specifics.
However, what I will say is that if they've given you a room allocation then I'm sure it exists. Is being in a single sex flat very important to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1876
I have more limited knowledge of Victoria Park than Fallowfield tbh, and I just don't know enough about Canterbury to be able to talk authoritatively about such specifics.
However, what I will say is that if they've given you a room allocation then I'm sure it exists. Is being in a single sex flat very important to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok, no worries, I may drop the accom office an email! Oh no quite the opposite in fact, would prefer to be mixed gender, I think thats far more fun! I was just confused as to what the layout was and why I had such a random flat number ha! Cheers :smile:
Original post by Adi321
Anyone in Weston Hall? Bu.05.11? Can't find anyone!

I'm in Weston! I couldn't find anyone either. I'm in RE.03.26 though :smile:
Reply 1878
I got offered St Gabriel's hall, total opposite of what I wanted so is there anyone who wants to swap? Preferably a room with an en suite, self-catered or mixed gender! Let me know x
Original post by flowerpower29
Hi I just got an offer to stay in Weston Hall. To be honest I really like the room, but when I searched about it, most of the comments are negative comments saying that its not good and it is filled with international students, please tell me that its a good place to live in

anyways, are there any bus station nearby that will allow me to go directly to the uni?

please tell me if any of you are going to stay at WESTON HALL, please please please, I need friends I'll tell you my room number and etc etc etc

Hey! Sorry this is really late but I'm staying at Weston Hall too :smile: I'm in RE.03.26.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending