The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LifeIsGood
I'm a resit student and honestly it worked out fine. I've applied for Biomed though so it is a bit different, however IF you do retake the year - let me know. I can give lots of tips.

Hey, has retaking the year affected your offers? I was interested in Biomedical science and got BBDD in my a/s levels, thinking of retaking the year. And advice? Thanks :biggrin:
I got a C in chemistry at AS today and I'm just wondering whether I will get offers from universities?? I'm going to resist and plan on getting a B at A2 but I'm worried I'll get no offers based on these results, I'm really interested in sunderland uni and would really appreciate some advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
That's nonsense, my friend screwed up there first year of AS then retook, and got into Oxford. Do what you need to, but don't waste it. A-Levels are only free till ur 20, then u have to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelpmepleaseSOS
I got a C in chemistry at AS today and I'm just wondering whether I will get offers from universities?? I'm going to resist and plan on getting a B at A2 but I'm worried I'll get no offers based on these results, I'm really interested in sunderland uni and would really appreciate some advice :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A C is not terrible, so of course you will get offers from universities! However, perhaps you need to think realistically about the courses you will apply for and such, but a B will be well within your reach if you revise and perhaps improve on your exam technique :smile:
hello, I got my results yesterdaii, I got A in psychology , C in chem, bio and maths... I want to apply for diagnostic radiography, and I want to acheieve really good grades in AS level as well as A level, in my first unit exams I got ABBB but the second year cuz of sum family issues I wasn't able to work that hard and all, I want to resit my AS levels, I am not even sure if my college will let me do that, can anyone gimme sum advice please??
Hi all, just got my AS results to find I got CDDD. Got a C in biology and Ds in maths chemistry and economics. Overall I need to gain 14 marks for my biology AS exams to bump that up to an A. That's 35/60 in unit 1 and 53/85 in unit 2.

In maths i got a B in unit 1 (4 marks off an A) a U in unit 2 (33 marks off an A) and a C in stats (10 marks off an A). Thats 55/75 C1, 28/75 C2, 46/75 Stats.
Not sure if I should retake both C2 and stats or just C2?

For economics I was 16 marks off an A in unit 1 and 21 marks off an A in unit 2...thats 45 marks in the first paper and 39 marks in the second. The paper is out of 80 so should I only retake one of them and aim for full marks?

Should I retake these all and continue with A2 year? I've dropped chemistry which gives me more space or should I just redo the year completely and change chemistry to computing?

Looking to apply for computer science at unis such as loughborough, kings, birmingham city which require ABB-AAB for entry.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Reply 26
can anyone tell me if your allowed not to mention that you re-sat your exams or will the uni find out anyway? also does it count that you 'repeated' if it is another similar qualification?
Reply 27
Original post by AlexKay99
can anyone tell me if your allowed not to mention that you re-sat your exams or will the uni find out anyway? also does it count that you 'repeated' if it is another similar qualification?

You must declare all exams sat and your results. Universities can and will withdraw their offer if you don't and they find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Paralove
You must declare all exams sat and your results. Universities can and will withdraw their offer if you don't and they find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, what if you sat another qualification and made the entry requirements, will they view that as sort of a resit or will they see it as OK regardless of the grades of the other qualification?
Reply 29
As far as I'm concerned, your UCAS application asks you for your qualifications, not how long it took to complete or how many times you tried.

If you're really concerned that it will affect your application, speak to the Universities you want to apply to and find out.

As I said previously, I had a friend who messed up her first year of college, did another two years and got accepted into Oxford where she completed a degree in Theology (i think she got a first). Seriously if you need to repeat, do it. Getting better grades is never going to hurt.
Reply 30
Original post by AlexKay99
Alright, what if you sat another qualification and made the entry requirements, will they view that as sort of a resit or will they see it as OK regardless of the grades of the other qualification?

If its a completely different subject then it doesn't matter but you still have to declare everything even if you drop it after AS or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by abbiemac
Hey, has retaking the year affected your offers? I was interested in Biomedical science and got BBDD in my a/s levels, thinking of retaking the year. And advice? Thanks :biggrin:

Absolutely not, it doesn't effect your offers.

Retook the year after getting EEU in my first year. Second year I managed AAB at AS and got offers from Nottingham, UCL, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool. Third year (two weeks ago) I opened up my envelope to find AAA being my final A2 results. Also got offers from Durham and Warwick through adjustment.

Not one mention of the fact I was a third-year from any of those seven universities. I can't speak for Oxbridge, but for the rest, they really didn't seem to care. I would recommended to resit the year if you think you can wait for one year. It really is worth it, and you mature so much.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dpdr
Absolutely not, it doesn't effect your offers.

Retook the year after getting EEU in my first year. Second year I managed AAB at AS and got offers from Nottingham, UCL, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool. Third year (two weeks ago) I opened up my envelope to find AAA being my final A2 results. Also got offers from Durham and Warwick through adjustment.

Not one mention of the fact I was a third-year from any of those seven universities. I can't speak for Oxbridge, but for the rest, they really didn't seem to care. I would recommended to resit the year if you think you can wait for one year. It really is worth it, and you mature so much.

Congrats :smile: So how exactly do you declare you've retaken the year on your UCAS form?
Reply 33
Original post by Milkshake178
Congrats :smile: So how exactly do you declare you've retaken the year on your UCAS form?

I didn't - never mentioned it. I assumed they could tell due to my time at sixth form being from 2010 - 2013.
Original post by Dpdr
I didn't - never mentioned it. I assumed they could tell due to my time at sixth form being from 2010 - 2013.

Oh! So how did you enter that year's AS grades on the UCAS form? Did you list each subject twice in the AS section, once with your old grade and once with the new?
Original post by Paralove
If its a completely different subject then it doesn't matter but you still have to declare everything even if you drop it after AS or whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How exactly do you declare everything, anyone? :/ I did an AS in socio, and a module of history and a module of economics - because I moved countries. I didn't do as well as I hoped I would, so re did the year, switching boards for everything, except economics, and picking up a fourth subject.

How do I fill in everything on my UCAS form? They say enter the re sit as pending, but what do you do if you already have your result? And should I enter the grade for the module in history or does that not count because it's a new subject? Is it still a ''resit" if it's the same subject but a different board? Thanks guys x
Reply 36
I'm a resit student and honestly it worked out fine. I've applied for Biomed though so it is a bit different, however IF you do retake the year - let me know. I can give lots of tips.

Hey,

I'm repeating a year, do you think I can get into a good uni. Even though we don't have jan exams anymore,I've stated revision from September. Can you tell me how you coped with repeating your AS because I feel really stressed. Cheers
I am actually a resit student myself. I am currently retaking AS because of my poor grades. Having asked many universities on open days and via email , many are fine with one resit of AS but if you can get higher grades the next time , they are fine with that.

Yes do work hard in your first year and be sure to make decent note , do the work set in class . Do some wider reading and plenty of wider reading and you should be fine.
Reply 38
You sound like me 2 years ago, you're going to end up with bad results.

I ended up going from CCDE first time to AAAC and predicted A*A*A so it's not all doom and gloom!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39

Hey, I just saw your message, I've just finished year 12 and absolutely hate my college atm because of old friends still picking on me, I want to move to another college where no one knows me and possibly re-do year 12 so I can have a complete fresh start. I think I want to do psychology at uni. Could you give me any tips? :smile:

Latest