The Student Room Group

What have bad relationships taught you?

Two things I've picked up on

1) Physical appearance is merely a base for a relationship. I realized this when I had a girlfriend last year, she was arguably, what most would consider a 10, but she had the most horrendous personality ever. She'd insult others, call them ugly, pick fights with other girls etc.. so why was she my girlfriend? Because I initially liked the way she looked, I dumped her after two days and now no matter how 'hot' she looks, I just see her as SO unattractive and wouldn't go anywhere near her.

2) Confidence is a huge factor. Attraction is a huge ego thing, girls like confident guys, here's why; a guy who lacks confidence would often stay away from those 10's and only go after girls who he thinks are in his league; so It's fair to say that the said guy doesn't think he's very attractive, hence low confidence. Girls will pick up on this and stay away from him, because no girl wants to be 'that' girl who he would consider 'in his league', because that only puts both of them down as this would assume that the guy only sees her as 'mehh.. it's the best I could do' type thing.

Scroll to see replies

To continue to listen to my gut instinct
Reply 2
Bloody wisdom op.

Wisdom.

OP speaks the truth.

I havn't been in anything, but from my own research, i'd say

DON'T BE A BLOODY DOORMAT, BE YOURSELF, GIVE YOUR OPINION, BE NICE BUT NOT TOO NICE.

100% on the confidence. Forget about leagues. You make your own league.

You wana get promoted into the premier league? Then just hop up there brethrins
My first relationship (a bad one in the end) taught me to never again stay with a cheater.

And to trust my instincts more. I know now that if I've been given reason enough to get suspicious about something, it's worth investigation. I'm a very rational person but sometimes when I had suspicions about my exes, I worried I was just being overly paranoid, as a result, second guessed the initial worry and told myself it was fine when I was actually right all along! That's happened in 2 relationships now. :tongue:
Visually stunning girls are normally very dull and unadventurous in the bedroom i.e. **** in bed.
Reply 5
Original post by scapepower
Bloody wisdom op.

Wisdom.

OP speaks the truth.

DON'T BE A BLOODY DOORMAT, BE YOURSELF, GIVE YOUR OPINION, BE NICE BUT NOT TOO NICE.

Amen bro, amen.
Reply 6
Always go with your gut & never judge a book by its cover

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because you're good friends, doesn't mean you'll be good boyfriend/girlfriend.
That you shouldn't for it your all to someone who doesn't treat you right and to learn from your mistakes. Give the good guys a chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Always have your own life, and your own things to do. Don't become too dependent on your partner. Yes, it's nice to have someone, and it's fun to do things together, but you've still got to have your own goals, and your own friends, and have things you enjoy outside of your relationship. You don't want to isolate yourself and have your life revolve around that one person, and your dreams solely revolve around them. It's not healthy.
Reply 10
1) To stand up for myself
2) To speak out when I do not like something
3) Girls that are always in a mood/not speaking to you/being short despite claiming to be okay are not worth the time
4) That my current girlfriend is wonderful!
Reply 11
Bad relationships taught me a lot about myself. How to chill out more, handle rejection, what kinds of girls I went for and why they were toxic/reflecting on myself. Things NOT to say to potential girlfriends.

And confidence.

Confidence to do whatever I like on my own and enjoy being single

And to be able to chat up a girl I like
Don't let anyone constantly put you down.
Learn to love who you are and if someone else doesn't like that then they're not good enough for you.
If they're insecure then they probably can't be trusted to not do something stupid.
Not to get too close too quick or let your true feelings known
If they cheat on you numerous times, it's probably not working out.
Reply 16
Original post by when she was 22
My first relationship (a bad one in the end) taught me to never again stay with a cheater.

And to trust my instincts more. I know now that if I've been given reason enough to get suspicious about something, it's worth investigation. I'm a very rational person but sometimes when I had suspicions about my exes, I worried I was just being overly paranoid, as a result, second guessed the initial worry and told myself it was fine when I was actually right all along! That's happened in 2 relationships now. :tongue:

Exactly this except the last part.
Reply 17
If it all seems too good to be true then is it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1133.jpg
Reply 19
Original post by scapepower
Bloody wisdom op.

Wisdom.

OP speaks the truth.

Preach to the masses brethrin
Preach!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest