The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2014 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 360master
LOL Steffy boy what happened? TKO Round 1!? Was this Oxford James Watson fella even skinner than you?

Stef.jpg

Lol as I've said I already admitted this. I went unbeaten for 4 years, a period in which I fought 18 times (had a year out due to injury) so I'm 17-1. Not bad really. Everyone loses eventually, and in the amateurs often by tko because of how amateur refs are trained. Massive fail. What's your experience in sport lmao?

P.S. I'm happy to know that I've riled you guys up so much that you're searching for articles about me!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by stefl14
Lol as I've said I already admitted this. I went unbeaten for 4 years, a period in which I fought 18 times (had a year out due to injury) so I'm 17-1. Not bad really. Everyone loses eventually, and in the amateurs often by tko because of how amateur refs are trained. Massive fail. What's your experience in sport lmao?

Rather have no experience in sport than get knocked out by someone from Oxford, must really pain you that someone that goes to a uni that is better than yours knocked you out in the first round. You could use that as an example for a competency question on how you overcame a difficult situation. You got knocked out in first round and the way you overcame your hardship was by developing inferiority complex to show off on a student forum.
Reply 1462
Original post by stefl14
haha hilarious. I've already admitted that I've been stopped once, by a more experienced boxer you might note. The hilarious thing is that it says "the previously unbeaten..." - something else I've already noted (note that that meant I was unbeaten for 4 years as I had my first competitive bout at 15 - something else I can prove if you wish). There is no shame in a loss my friend. Roy Jones got stopped more than once as an amateur. I've no reason to lie here - unless you can prove you've competed at a high level in athletics you can go away.

I am an international chess and backgammon champ. So sit down shut up Stephy boy
Reply 1463
Original post by stefl14

P.S. I'm happy to know that I've riled you guys up so much that you're searching for articles about me!

You are the one who is getting riled up here Stefan. You argued with me about whether a clearly legit boxing match was a hoax or not. Pot kettle black?
Reply 1464
Who the hell is Stefan? Can he make markets and provide liquidity better than me? No, didn't think so.
Reply 1465
Original post by exam freak
cool :smile:, ye I start in September,i had an offer for UCL Chemistry but it was just going to be so expensive so i had to turn them down, anyway aren't you a Chemical Engineer? Ye my Uni isn't the stongest for getting people into banking but, i do a **** load of extra curriculars, as well running my own business since i've been 12, my parents got ill then had to take over there business. county cricket, used to teach kids extreme sports. member of student union etc. so i may have a chance but i'll probably end up in Big Four accountancy which i still think would be cool.

Interesting I go to UCL lol yeah Chemical Engineer. Not many in banking since they're well paid in industry (oil and that). The uni plays a part but not such a big part that it's a difference between getting an offer and not getting one. Everything else seems really good so you have as good a chance as any one:smile:
Original post by Tara_99
Who the hell is Stefan? Can he make markets and provide liquidity better than me? No, didn't think so.

Probably. Being as I've been playing forex and crude oil futures profitably since 16 :smile:.
Original post by Tara_99

Stefan Lavelle, the second coming of Patrick Bateman
Original post by hugsy
I am an international chess and backgammon champ. So sit down shut up Stephy boy

Good for you. Well done. And I'm the boring book nerd on this forum apparently.
Reply 1469
Original post by exam freak
also i don't have any A* so my chances are slim to start with :P, but i do know the head of recruitment at JP Morgan which is always a plus :P, and he went to same uni as me for Maths instead of Chem i think aha

A*'s don't matter. Haha you're sorted then!
Reply 1470
Original post by stefl14
Good for you. Well done. And I'm the boring book nerd on this forum apparently.

The playing of chess and backgammon has nothing to do with books you tool.
Reply 1471
Original post by stefl14
Probably. Being as I've been playing forex and crude oil futures profitably since 16 :smile:.

You've been "playing", while I have have been "trading". That's the difference between you and me, Stefan.

Please give me your view on EM Currencies. A short - term outlook would be appreciated. Impress me.
Original post by 360master
Rather have no experience in sport than get knocked out by someone from Oxford, must really pain you that someone that goes to a uni that is better than yours knocked you out in the first round. You could use that as an example for a competency question on how you overcame a difficult situation. You got knocked out in first round and the way you overcame your hardship was by developing inferiority complex to show off on a student forum.

Oxford better than Cambridge? haha you must be from Oxford or delusional.
Trolling to the max.
Reply 1474
So to important things. The following are open:

Barclays
CS
GS
DB
Nomura
RBS
BAML
UBS

What have I missed? Thought this would be helpful for newcomers
Original post by Tara_99
You've been "playing", while I have have been "trading". That's the difference between you and me, Stefan.

Please give me your view on EM Currencies. A short - term outlook would be appreciated. Impress me.

Although I mainly trade majors I'll give it a shot. Which EM are we talking about? If you're looking for a general answer, I think the short term impact of Fed tapering is already priced in, as evidenced by places like India where the Rupee suffered its worst fall in almost 2 decades. In the longer term, however, the Rupee could lose value as Rajan's reforms might not be able to counteract the effects of populist policies ahead of Indian elections, which will worsen the fiscal deficit and hence the current account deficit. Other currencies such as the rupiah, however, are probably oversold. Indonesia is nowhere near as reliant on hot money (flows associated with liquid assets such as stocks and bonds) to finance its current account deficit as India, with most of its finance coming from FDI. More generally (short term), the taper is priced in and some EM currencies have rallied a little in recent days as a result. I think this has created opportunities in places like Brazil (where depreciation is likely to fuel growth and Brazil has ample reserves to stem any serious loss anyway) and Indonesia but I'm a cautious FX bear in places like India, whose populist policies and over-reliance on hot money could spell even further falls despite the hero Rajan.
Original post by user1111
So to important things. The following are open:

Barclays
CS
GS
DB
Nomura
RBS
BAML
UBS

What have I missed? Thought this would be helpful for newcomers

Elite boutiques like Lazard etc.
Reply 1477
Original post by stefl14
Although I mainly trade majors I'll give it a shot. Which EM are we talking about? If you're looking for a general answer, I think the short term impact of Fed tapering is already priced in, as evidenced by places like India where the Rupee suffered its worst fall in almost 2 decades. In the longer term, however, the Rupee could lose value as Rajan's reforms might not be able to counteract the effects of populist policies ahead of Indian elections, which will worsen the fiscal deficit and hence the current account deficit. Other currencies such as the rupiah, however, are probably oversold. Indonesia is nowhere near as reliant on hot money (flows associated with liquid assets such as stocks and bonds) to finance its current account deficit as India, with most of its finance coming from FDI. More generally (short term), the taper is priced in and some EM currencies have rallied a little in recent days as a result. I think this has created opportunities in places like Brazil (where depreciation is likely to fuel growth and Brazil has ample reserves to stem any serious loss anyway) and Indonesia but I'm a cautious FX bear in places like India, whose populist policies and over-reliance on hot money could spell even further falls despite the hero Rajan.

Your view on populist policies is the same notion that I share. Long - term, something has to give and that is Current and budget account deficets in EM. Have you heard about the FX Swap deal the Central Bank of India as imposed? Lending USD and reborrowing on a forward basis from the market.

if this measure works and the INR appreciates, the USD loan against RBI could be repaid at a profit. But if the INR depreciates, the central bank would need to keep rolling these swaps or the government would have to take a fiscal hit. However, India has remained the weakest EM currency and that could buy some time at least.

This tells me the CB are willing to take pretty damn big risks, something has to give somewhere.

If the exchange rate moves in favour of the domestic currency the strategy can pay off considerably for the EM central bank. If it doesn’t, the outstanding dollar-denominated funding mismatch must eventually be plugged with real reserves or in the event that these are drained entirely, by tapping the Fed’s own FX swap window to plug the dollar shortage.

Interesting times ahead for sure.
Original post by Tara_99
Your view on populist policies is the same notion that I share. Long - term, something has to give and that is Current and budget account deficets in EM. Have you heard about the FX Swap deal the Central Bank of India as imposed? Lending USD and reborrowing on a forward basis from the market.

if this measure works and the INR appreciates, the USD loan against RBI could be repaid at a profit. But if the INR depreciates, the central bank would need to keep rolling these swaps or the government would have to take a fiscal hit. However, India has remained the weakest EM currency and that could buy some time at least.

This tells me the CB are willing to take pretty damn big risks, something has to give somewhere.

If the exchange rate moves in favour of the domestic currency the strategy can pay off considerably for the EM central bank. If it doesn’t, the outstanding dollar-denominated funding mismatch must eventually be plugged with real reserves or in the event that these are drained entirely, by tapping the Fed’s own FX swap window to plug the dollar shortage.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

Yes I've been reading about this today in the FT. The fall of the INR really makes you think "if only I took a short position in May with 400 leverage and closed last week" (obviously I'd never take a risk that big lol). Hindsight is a wonderful thing. With regards to your points, I'm largely in agreement. The RBIs policy is pretty alarming given the direction of structural change in India - a depreciation with such a hot money funded CA deficit is by no means off the cards. Obviously Rajan's policies have stemmed short term losses as evidenced by the recent rise in the Rupee. The question of course is how long will this last? To put it simply, if I wasn't a mere day trader I wouldn't be taking long positions in INR USD.
I berieve Greenhill is open too user1111 unless you looking only for big bank

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending