The Student Room Group

How to get in to banking or be a broker without a degree ?

Is it possible to get a job in the city of London without a degree in investment banking or being a broker and working your way up as I am very good with networking ? Thanks Bruce
It's almost impossible. i looked into it as this is what i want to do myself so i am now studying for a degree in economics and finance
Reply 2
Have a look at interdealer broking, ICAP, GFI, Tulletts, Tradition, BGC...Loads of guys there both new and old have no degrees. There are tons of neiche broking and small agency trading houses in the City which you can work for without a degree. If you wanted to work in the city with no degree, going into interdealer broking is the most lucrative given that you can get lines (contacts) fairly quickly.
Reply 3
I have looked in to ICAP but going to look in to a few more companies, any advice or tips on creating the perfect CV or cover letter for this industry?
Reply 4
Original post by brucecrabbe
I have looked in to ICAP but going to look in to a few more companies, any advice or tips on creating the perfect CV or cover letter for this industry?

There isn't really, alot of the people I have spoken to who work at these places got in through a large degree of luck, you said yourself you are good at networing. Ask any of friends if they have friends themselves, cousings, dads, etc. anything and then send them an email saying who are XY's friend and looking to get into broking. You have to husstle hard but there are opportunites out there. I think Tradition run a formal trainee broker programe where they state a degree is not neccessary.
Reply 5
Thank you for the advice but I am really interested in working for ICAP or city index after looking on the internet, is it worth me taking a level French ?
Reply 6
Thank you for the advice but I am really interested in working for ICAP or city index after looking on the internet, is it worth me taking a level French ?

I wouldn't advise working for somewhere like CityIndex. It's more retail catered and you are never going to make any serious money. ICAP is quite fun, I did some work exp there once I know guys who finished school worked in the london office for 2 years and now work in Hong Kong and Singapore, It's possible. RE: Alevels, it doesn't matter.
Reply 7
Okay thanks.
Okay thanks.

What was the upshot of this OP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending