The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
I still dont have a little/no drinking buddy, still no-one going to exeter falmouth. Im all alone :frown: lol.
Reply 721
Original post by MrCake001
I still dont have a little/no drinking buddy, still no-one going to exeter falmouth. Im all alone :frown: lol.

ForeverAlone.png
Original post by Cryl
Yeah. It's unfortunate they don't allow mini-fridges in dorm rooms! That'd be great! I'll message you a few days into Freshers Week (If I can remember - I have a bad memory).

I'll see you then :biggrin:

Original post by MattBerry96
Not knocking you guys or anything but I am curious as to why you choose not to drink? I personally find a night out is so much more fun with alcohol

For me it's simply a matter of taste, I just don't rank alcohol that highly I'd much rather have a coke :dontknow:
Reply 723
Original post by Byrks
Don't worry about it too much, really. I know it feels like it a bit now, but it's not like after Freshers, if you didn't go out drinking and clubbing, you'll have a sign on your head saying 'don't talk to this antisocial girl, she's an outsider!'. During the first few weeks, you may see the partygoers having a busier social life than you, but don't worry, you'll most likely catch up eventually, talking to people from your lectures and such, or meeting people at societies.

Having said that, have a look at this. It lists a lot of events going on during Freshers, including quieter ones by societies (Creative Writing, Marrow, Feminist, Anime, GeekSoc, Christian, Shakespeare, Baking, etc.). A few of them seem pretty cool, in case you're interested. :smile:

Thanks a lot :smile:. Some of them look really fun actually. Might go to the quieter ones :biggrin:
Reply 724
Original post by cyndikinz
That's exactly how I feel too!
I belive you can still go out with others even those that drink and still have fun without alcahol.
The only diffrence is that ill remember the experience :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Next morning is more fun too
Reply 725
Original post by ohlittlewolf
Anyone else Cambridge-bound and would like to stay as sober as possible? I suppose Cambridge is probably one of the unis most likely to have a decent proportion of non-drinkers, but I'm still a little worried.
Also going tee-total has been quite a recent life decision for me... it's going to sound awful but I'm not sure how I'm going to make friends / hang out with strangers in an effort to make friends with them without alcohol, how do you do it?! Any advice appreciated :smile:

I'm also going to Cambridge. I'm not a complete non-drinker, but have no plans on "going out drinking".

Which college are you at?
Reply 726
Original post by zazzles94
Hello! Glad I found this forum because it makes me feel a lot more 'ok' with not being interested in going out and drinking all the time :smile: Anyone going to Lancaster?

holla@lancaster!

I'm not a massive drinker (I won't say I don't drink ever because that would be a lie, but by no means do I drink every month!) so not really looking forward to having 'DOWN IT FRESHER' chanted for a full week.

Noticed someone else put about they're worried as they've been put in the 'party' college, think I know which one you mean as I've also been put in it so feel your pain! (or awkwardness?)
Reply 727
Original post by truecolours995
I'm not alone!!!! Sorry, I'm going to York as well and I'm in James college too!!! Which block are you in. I'm nervous about freshers as well. I'm doing English, you? :tongue:

Yey!! Hi! There seems to be quite a few of us going to York in this thread, which is nice to know :smile:. I'm in G - you? Doing Biology :smile:.
Original post by em_cart
Yey!! Hi! There seems to be quite a few of us going to York in this thread, which is nice to know :smile:. I'm in G - you? Doing Biology :smile:.

2 James, 1 Goodricke and 1 Derwent I think! Getting exciting!
Reply 729
Any Birmingham people? (sorry, only just looked at this thread!)
Reply 730
Original post by Zaphod77
Any Birmingham people? (sorry, only just looked at this thread!)

Uni?
Reply 731
Original post by Boqore
Uni?

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear! University of Birmingham :smile:
Anyone else going to Brighton? Of all the universities there are, Brighton seems to be one of the best (or worst) for drinking! :tongue: It's not that I don't drink but I don't feel the need to drink to have a good time and I'm just as content with a coke on a night out and don't see why getting off your face is fun, especially when you will remember hardly anything the next day, not to mention how you must feel the morning after!

So yeah, finding some people going to Brighton who don't really drink would be great, otherwise I'm going to feel really isolated when the inevitability of my flat mates going clubbing every night happens. I don't want to seem antisocial but the thought of being surrounded by a dark, sweaty room of people really doesn't appeal to me at all!
Reply 733
Original post by Zaphod77
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear! University of Birmingham :smile:

It's cool, me too :smile:
Reply 734
Original post by Boqore
It's cool, me too :smile:

Awesome! What subject? :smile:
Original post by em_cart

Yeah it's definitely nice to know :smile: I'm in B block :smile:
Reply 736
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Anyone going to Bristol?

I am! Which course and accommodation are you? :smile:
Reply 737
Original post by GingerShortcake
2 James, 1 Goodricke and 1 Derwent I think! Getting exciting!

I'm guessing no-ones doing the Viking Raid?! I don't want to miss out on a big event, but I expect everyone will have the intention of getting very drunk so it's not my kind of thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 738
Original post by truecolours995
Yeah it's definitely nice to know :smile: I'm in B block :smile:

Cool. Is B catered? :smile: I'm going self-catered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squirb
FINALLY! Been looking for others for ages haha! So I'm going to assume you're not getting a wristband?

I thought I'd get it just in case but I completely forgot! i think they ran out now :/

Quick Reply