The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable to sleep with your bedroom door open at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hajinator
Are you retarded? Rape is sexual intercourse without consent, regardless of race, sexual orientation or gender. Maybe women are smaller and may not be as strong as most men to be able to rape them, but in Nigeria, there are gangs of women who actually kidnap men, pump them with drugs and rape and beat them. I suppose what is actually going on in reality is "imposable"?

lol at the idiot... I think you need to learn the LAW

RAPE is unwanted penetration with a PENIS anything else is sexual assault
Reply 41
I think it totally depends on where you are living, if its a flat with only a few people in it that you trust then I'm sure it'd be fine, however where I was the rooms kitchens and toilets were all off one big long corridor, and many drunk people would walk past to get upstairs each week, also people tried to get into my room thinking it was the staircase a few times, so it made much more sense to keep it locked all the time..

So yeah it just depends on where you live and your flatmates :smile:
Reply 42
I would advise against it for the following reasons

[video="youtube;VKsVSBhSwJg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKsVSBhSwJg[/video]

So you can run and tell that, run and tell that, HOME, HOME, HOOOOME BOOOOY
Reply 43
I know of exactly one person who did that (whilst very, very drunk), and he only did it once, probably as a result of him, his mattress and his bedframe ending up on the top floors of three different accommodation blocks.
Depends on how the set up is. If it's a normal house then it would be normal, but if it's a student flat where one room is directly opposite another that would be odd
Reply 45
In our halls leaving doors open was forbidden for security and fire safety reasons, apart from moving in day when it's awkward to keep opening and closing doors. It was taken seriously and could have led to disciplinary action.
Reply 46
Original post by Raindrops-
In our halls leaving doors open was forbidden for security and fire safety reasons, apart from moving in day when it's awkward to keep opening and closing doors. It was taken seriously and could have led to disciplinary action.

Good job my flat wasn't at your halls, we kept our flat door open with fire extinguishers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
If you're unlucky you'll end up with someone who doesn't think it unacceptable to pull pranks on you, which may include peeing on you while you sleep, shaving off your eyebrows, drawing on your face with a sharpie, toilet-papering your room, hiding your things, lobbing your things onto a nearby roof, removing your things and setting them up somewhere else, jumping on you, putting your hand in hot water to try to make you wet yourself, etc.

^all things I know happened to people on my halls / friends' halls. Most of it is harmless, friendly pranking, but some people cross the line and have no remorse, and would take the opinion that you brought it upon yourself.
Reply 48
I don't think it's a great idea.

Maybe sleep with the window open? Will that help? You'll soon learn to deal with it anyway, don't worry :smile:
Original post by kumori
Good job my flat wasn't at your halls, we kept our flat door open with fire extinguishers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my halls not only could that be a double fine for tampering with fire equipment (the door and the extinguisher), but our home insurance would also be voided.
Original post by le94
I have this thing where I cannot sleep in a room by myself with the door closed. It makes me feel really scared and uncomfortable. But I'm thinking of going away to university next year, and I was just wondering if that would be acceptable or just seem really odd?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure its alrite :smile:! I've slept plenty of times with my door open in halls :beer:! Party poopers who are way too...nice, and whose idea of student life is never leaving their room, even for breakfast, in a catered hall, when they paid for it, though, will ensure that you will wake up finding your door closed :argh: !
Original post by le94
I have this thing where I cannot sleep in a room by myself with the door closed. It makes me feel really scared and uncomfortable. But I'm thinking of going away to university next year, and I was just wondering if that would be acceptable or just seem really odd?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how viable this is but perhaps you could get someone to close the door for you after you go to sleep, for a week or so.
That way, after getting used to waking up with it closed you might not be bothered by it anymore!
Not unless you want this to happen

[video="youtube;fqyjOc3EpT4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqyjOc3EpT4[/video]
Reply 53
Original post by Dangermoose
Not unless you want this to happen

[video="youtube;fqyjOc3EpT4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqyjOc3EpT4[/video]

haha mint
people don't make this mistake twice

Quick Reply

Latest