The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Valonqar
Hello there. I have a question in regards to enrolment.

This is for my computer science course. I've enrolled for the first semester, but the second semester classes don't have dates or times for the labs or yet. I've been trying to arrange my timetable in a particular way so it would be annoying if I enrolled for one of these and it ended up somewhere inconvenient or clashed with one of my other classes. I was wondering if I ought to wait for times and dates to be put up or just pick one and hope for the best, or maybe change it later. As I say, it's only for the second semester so it's not like I won't have any classes to go to.

This has been updated since I asked it - part of the semester 2 computer science course has been closed, despite not having any dates. Advice?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 341
I have a question. I have stupidly left it too late to enroll to Psychology, my mind has been on other things due to family circumstances, is there any chance I will be able to enroll in psychology this year?
Original post by Valonqar
This has been updated since I asked it - part of the semester 2 computer science course has been closed, despite not having any dates. Advice?

Hi Valonqar,

Sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some problems. Unfortunately I am unable to offer any specific advice via this forum. I would suggest that you go along and speak to an adviser at one of our help desks. I have attached a link showing times and locations for these.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/support/enrolment/

I hope this helps and that you get things sorted out quickly.

Best, Campbell (UK team)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Klutzz
I have a question. I have stupidly left it too late to enroll to Psychology, my mind has been on other things due to family circumstances, is there any chance I will be able to enroll in psychology this year?

Hi Klutzz,

Thanks for your email, but questions on enrolment would need to be dealt with individually by an adviser with access to your student record. Have a look at this link for advice on where to seek help.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/registry/support/enrolment/

Hope this helps?

Best, Campbell (UK Team)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
xx

Hey I've quoted you because I really need an answer ASAP. Today I never got a chance to get my freshers pass or student ID. If I recall correctly, I can buy into an event tonight for £20 then pay the other twenty tomorrow, can you confirm this or will I be stuck in the flat while most of my flatmates go out? Also for the student ID, would I be able to pick that up tomorrow, or should I wait until somepoint next week?
Reply 345
@TheFOMaster, I couldn't tell you about the fresher's pass situation, but in regards to student ID there is actually a timetable for picking one up. I'm not sure what group is getting them today, but I think most of the "Welcome Point"s have a timetable for you to check. But the queue is massive, and I went to my assigned slot yesterday and was actually turned away, because there were just too many people there that afternoon. So if your slot hasn't passed yet, I'd go and have a go, but apparently it will be much quieter next week.

Hope they sort out your freshers pass problem promptly.

Also, I should add, I'm not speaking on behalf of the university, just from my own experience.
Yes I went to get my student ID today as well but the queue was far too long so decided it would be best to wait until it is quieter. Hopefully I can get it next week as I already need to get books out of the library for my seminars for next week!

Does anyone know about accessing journals from websites like Ingenta Connect via Athens? I tried to log in via Athens with my GUID but it wouldn't let me so I'm wondering do I have to have picked up my student ID first before I can do this?
Reply 347
Hi, I have a few questions.

On my mycampus timetable I have 3 lectures scheduled during freshers week. One on wed, one on thu and one of fri. Are these actually lectures I have to attend or are they mistakes made by your client? I thought lectures started next week.

Additionally, I have not received any information on how to get my student card or any timetable for freshers week in general. I didn't apply to a Freshers Pass but there are events such as freshers fair that I would have liked to received information by post instead of having to dig around websites finding a sideways timetable on a pdf. I haven't found any info on picking up student cards.

Also people were able to upload a picture of themselves during enrollment online for their student card, where as because I have attended before I had no option but to use my old picture. I think this is unfair because it was 4 years ago. Why didn't returning students have the choice of uploading a new picture?
Reply 349
Hello!

I'm interested in applying for Psychology. I want to do a BSc but my A-levels are Psychology, Media and English Lit (AAB) would I be better off just applying for the MA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 350
Could anybody tell me if the enrollment meetings this week (specifically junior honours languages) have anything essential I need to catch up on, or is it usually general information? Had to miss both of mine and I'm a bit worried something essential's been missed! Thanks :smile:
Reply 351
Stupidly I made a whole thread for this What's the difference between BA and BSc Mathematics? Do they have the same requirements?
Original post by Piazetta
Stupidly I made a whole thread for this What's the difference between BA and BSc Mathematics? Do they have the same requirements?

Hi there,

Thanks for the question. The answer is 'no' they don't'! I have attached a link to the relevant page on our website. http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/mathematics/#tabs=2

Best, Campbell (UK Recruitment Team)
Original post by Agata
Hello!

I'm interested in applying for Psychology. I want to do a BSc but my A-levels are Psychology, Media and English Lit (AAB) would I be better off just applying for the MA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Agata,

Thanks for the question. yes, you'd have to apply for the MA or MA(SocSci)
as the BSc requires two (ideally) science subjects.

Best,
Campbell (UK Recruitment Team)
Reply 354
I know it's a bit random but I would just like to know if it's possible to join clubs a little later into term? I went to a few taster sessions and I really enjoyed them, however I'd like to check that I have no problems with my courses before I invest time into extra-curricular stuff :smile:.
Hey guys, another question. I chose the 9am Physics lectures, but this really isn't going to work for me, so I went on my glasgow and saw that the 1pm lecture times are still open for registration, so I was wondering could I change my lecture times (not lab times) to this? Would it be possible to do it before Monday if it is? Who do I contact, my advisor?
Original post by BttrLtThnNvr
Hi Rio-GU,
Currently re-doing Highers at Anniesland (now Central Glasgow College). Sitting English, Maths, Physics and Psychology. Have B in Higher Computing from years ago (around 7 years) and also D in Physics from same time period. I wasn't model student when I was younger and therefore grades suffered. Am setting my sights on AAAB this year (I'd like an A in Psycology but realisticly unless lots more clicks I will probably max out with a B), and wonder how this will compare to required qualifications from those listed from 'First Sitting' S5 and 'Second Sitting' S6.

Courses I have an interest in are -
Accounting and statistics - GN34
software engineering - G610
Physics/TheoreticalP - F301
physics/astophysics - F3Fm

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately we won't consider Highers taken at College as these could represent a possible third attempt at the Higher entry qualifications. We certainly will look at HNC/HND and this would be the college route that we would recommend to applicants. For the degree courses that you mention above I would contact our Admissions department and check which HNC/HND course they would recommend for entry to each as this may vary.

Hope this helps?

Original post by Sly Ni
I know it's a bit random but I would just like to know if it's possible to join clubs a little later into term? I went to a few taster sessions and I really enjoyed them, however I'd like to check that I have no problems with my courses before I invest time into extra-curricular stuff :smile:.

Hi Sly Ni,

The Clubs and Societies would be happy to have new members at any time through the term. So get your academic priorities sorted first and then join up!

Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately we won't consider Highers taken at College as these could represent a possible third attempt at the Higher entry qualifications. We certainly will look at HNC/HND and this would be the college route that we would recommend to applicants. For the degree courses that you mention above I would contact our Admissions department and check which HNC/HND course they would recommend for entry to each as this may vary.

Hope this helps?

Is this true? If I had known this I would have have chosen different course for the current academic year. I will discuss with my college tutor when I return to college.
Thanks for letting me know anyway, I suppose it helps me re set my targets for end of current year early on. There is a person in my course aiming to do Medicine at Glasgow next year, and another aiming to get into Genetics, should I inform them of this stipulation too?

Chris
Reply 359
Hello, I am an European student who is looking forward to apply for year 2014/2015.
Currently I am attending the final year at my high school.
I have set my mind on applying for English and Italian at Glasgow University.
I was wondering if there are any access courses for at least one of those two subjects.
The requirements for italian students are quite high, so I am afraid not to be able to make it.
Thanks for your attention.

Edit: Should applications for year 2014/2015 be sent now?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending