The Student Room Group

The Burqa debate. A veiled woman's views.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lady Comstock
Then why not just wear baggy clothing? Do they cover the face because they honestly believe that it's equivalent to wearing undignified hot pants? Or is it the more likely reason that it's a cultural hangover from the Islamic world of male dominance and possession of women?

I wouldn't be able to answer your question as a muslim veiled woman but I believe its a conflation of many things most notably her pride in her faith and to some extent the attraction (to males) from her face and hair.
Reply 21
Original post by Octohedral
Of course they should have a say.

However, the idea of the facial veil being oppressive runs deeper than "let's free the Muslim women because they can't free themselves". It is a barrier between the most crucial parts of human interaction - facial expression. It represents the self-exclusion of a community, and quite frankly it's threatening. Threatening to our culture, to years of hard won freedom and equality, and on a personal level, when you can't see the person you're talking to.

Before people shout 'religious intolerance', I have no objection to people performing their own religious traditions in private, or even in the street. I have nothing against Muslims as people. I have no objection to a veil that covers everything except the face. However, I do not believe in being 'tolerant of the intolerant', as it were. There has to be a line drawn, and I would draw that line at hiding your face in court, at schools, and in other public institutions.

I fully recognise that banning the Burqa outright may drive some women into seclusion, so I don't think that practically it's necessarily the best solution. However, in principle I am all for debate, of which Muslim women should obviously be a large part, but think that this has wider implications than perhaps suggested in the article.

I agree, the facial veil is a traditional thing. It's not compulsory.
Reply 22
What would happen if I went into a bank with a balaclava because I wanted to conceal my identity, or cover up my facial modesty. I'd be arrested.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tsr1269
And how would you know that they are "oppressed"?

Who was it that told you that persons who wear the Niqaab are "oppressed"?

If you're being told that, without wearing a certain item, you're taunting men with your sexuality and thusly, inviting rape, that's oppression. So the Quran told me so.
Original post by saliha16
It's a piece of clothing. Get over it. You've got women being paid to take their clothes off and in France you have to pay in order to wear the burqa. The world is screwed up in too many ways and the fact that banning the burqa is even in discussion is wrong on so many levels. It's a freedom of choice, and it's also a religious act. For God's sake, what harm does it do to you to see a woman covered up?

It's more the harm to womankind and equality that I'm worried about.
Original post by Opts
What would happen if I went into a bank with a balaclava because I wanted to conceal my identity, or cover up my facial modesty. I'd be arrested.

Does that extend to facial makeup? Tinted shades? Dyed hair?
Reply 26
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
If you're being told that, without wearing a certain item, you're taunting men with your sexuality and thusly, inviting rape, that's oppression. So the Quran told me so.

Could you reference that for me please?

I await your explicit reference from the Quran...
Reply 27
Original post by Person1001
Islam respects the right for others to practice their religion and to identify themselves proudly with a religion (by wearing a cross etc.)

Many Muslims in this country feel privileged to live in the UK because of the freedom and our laws and you re right it is not fair that many 'muslim' countries do not offer the right freedom to people of different beliefs. Many muslims will prefer to stay in the UK over some other muslim countries because they believe in the values and the rights of UK democracy.

Ha! Ha aha haa!

So your saying I won't get beheaded, shot to death, stoned, chased out of the village etc? And what of the fate of my children? Rape? Tortured?

The Islamic world is full of barbarians and savages.

And many Muslims in the UK do not respect the democracy and law here. Sex rings, trying to enforce the Shariah law, disrespecting our country and army, revenge killings etc.

You Muslims can't even get along with each other as well! Due to different beliefs about Islam yet you still kill each other.

Even the Imams get threatened if they try to support peace and co-operative behaviour! Corruption is rife in Islam.

Explain to me, how is Islam a religion of peace and respect? Bombings, shootings, raping, killing, butchering, eating hearts. The list goes on.

If you go to a foreign country, you respect the law of such country. You do not bring in religion to suit your needs, don't like it? Jog on to the next country.

Islam itself is a crime against humanity, Islam is used as an excuse to commit horrific acts all in the name of some dude in the skies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Opts

Banks and security in Banks have the right to turn away veiled women if they feel there is an issue with security but they don't because they don't feel there is an issue.

Veiled women are still required to show their face for identification in security at Banks and airports.
Reply 29
Original post by Savvy Sage
Does that extend to facial makeup? Tinted shades? Dyed hair?

For all I care, I could have cold cheeks. If whatever I was doing was deemed a security risk, whether I was wearing tinted shades etc, subject to common sense, I'd be expected to comply and would have no problem in doing so.
Original post by Opts
For all I care, I could have cold cheeks. If whatever I was doing was deemed a security risk, whether I was wearing tinted shades etc, subject to common sense, I'd be expected to comply and would have no problem in doing so.

For security reasons, that's fine but what about in public? Or at schools? In restaurants?
Reply 31
Banks and security in Banks have the right to turn away veiled women if they feel there is an issue with security but they don't because they don't feel there is an issue.<br />
<br />
Veiled women are still required to show their face for identification in security at Banks and airports.
<br />
<br />
what about in schools n colleges. And what about the issues raised about non verbal communication n facial expression. And did U no that Between 60% and 75% of all of your communication is nonverbal. Being able to see someone ones face is much more important than we relise. If covering ur face isn't a must, then y do it when it make Islam look bad n causes so much problems between non Muslims
Reply 32
Banks and security in Banks have the right to turn away veiled women if they feel there is an issue with security but they don't because they don't feel there is an issue.

What about shopping centres? People are expected and forced to remove their hoods in shops / a lot of public spaces.
I don't agree with the burqua at all, I don't understand the reason some Muslim women wear one, though they say it's justified. :redface:
But if that's what they want to wear then hey, it shouldn't really be our problem unless it's a threat to security.
Reply 34
Original post by Opts
What about shopping centres? People are expected and forced to remove their hoods in shops / a lot of public spaces.

Sorry, you might upset the minority. Can't have that.
Reply 35
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/i-wear-the-niqab-let-me-speak-on-my-own-behalf-8824243.html

A very interesting and perhaps foreign viewpoint for those who really haven't listened to what veiled women themselves have to say.

A more interesting point is that religion (all) is a load of codswallop and no one ever has ever produced any meaningful evidence that it exists. So we should ban it and any other symbols of religious practice in public.
Reply 36
Original post by Opts

Shopping centres and security in shopping centres can also turn away veiled women for security reasons and many don't turn away veiled women.
Reply 37
Original post by dondon123
<br />
<br />
what about in schools n colleges. And what about the issues raised about non verbal communication n facial expression. And did U no that Between 60% and 75% of all of your communication is nonverbal. Being able to see someone ones face is much more important than we relise. If covering ur face isn't a must, then y do it when it make Islam look bad n causes so much problems between non Muslims

I respect that point. I would be interested to hear how a veiled woman has coped in her school life.
Why are we so close minded surely if we live in a society where people should wear what they feel comfortable in they should? We don't complain when people are close to naked on beaches but when its niqab its suddenly a huge issue. Yes there are some security concerns which is debatable. But people who compare veil to a balaclava are stupid how is a balaclava meant to be used for religious reasons?
Original post by tsr1269
Could you reference that for me please?

I await your explicit reference from the Quran...

Okay, this is the first one I found in my Qur'an.

"59. O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed."

So women are meant to make themselves into pirates so they won't be "annoyed." Sure.

That's from Surah 33 by the way. From my copy of the Qur'an.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending