The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HK786
What do u guys think?

I think those are great results, it just depends which uni you want to go to as well as the course. If you have the same grades as what the course is asking for, you're all good. If they're above, even better! :smile:
Original post by beefchief
get it together bruh

maybe in a couple of particularly hard a levels, but in most getting a C is piss easy in reality

Maybe to you yes. You can't just assume everyone finds something easy.

It depends on a lot of factors. Other people can disagree with this but this is what I think. Exams test your memory and exam technique. You can know everything about a subject but without exam technique you won't pass. It annoys me when people think that something is easy.

Yes to you it may well be easy. To me its not. People on here seem to think anything below AAA is bad. It annoys me that when people like make such comments making other people feel bad.

A-levels are hard. ABB are good results. Not going to Oxbridge is okay. Not getting a degree doesn't mean you won't be successful.

Getting an A doesn't mean your intelligent. Yes academically you are intelligent - it depends on how people define intelligence.

Its not 'piss easy' because if it was everyone would be getting As. People work hard, do they get As? People work hard in their job, do they earn £50,000? The answer is no. If something was easy everyone would be doing it.
Original post by HK786
What do u guys think?

Dont worry about that! ABB is a solid set of results, you'll get in. If you get called into an interview just be very confident.
Original post by Arieisit
As Cambridge website says, most applicants have an average of 2.5 A*s. Well thats for the courses I looked at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The successful applicants that get made offers end up with an average of 2.5 A*s at A2. The average applicant certainly would not go on to achieve that.

Source - Gonville and Caius, Cambridge, via a friend who got an offer for History
I personally think it depends on what uni and what course you're applying to. But ABB in general sounds pretty good imho.
Reply 225
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
No. The successful applicants that get made offers end up with an average of 2.5 A*s at A2. The average applicant certainly would not go on to achieve that.

Source - Gonville and Caius, Cambridge, via a friend who got an offer for History

Ok, I missed a word. Way to nitpick :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
Ok, I missed a word. Way to nitpick :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quite a big difference though :colonhash:
Reply 227
Original post by Surrey Bubble15
Quite a big difference though :colonhash:

I guess :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by contrapositive
He's a disillusioned 17 year old who thinks that Oxbridge is the be all and end all of life. For some it may be, but for those who live in the real world, it's not. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Oxbridge, all I'm saying is that you don't have to kill yourself if you don't go there.)

1) I'm a she

2) It's hilarious that you say that because I'm actually in total agreement with you. In fact, amongst most people I know, I'm the only person who thinks that Oxbridge isn't the end all and be all. (I often get insulted for that, and told that I'm just "stupid" for not wanting to apply.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sigh. This has all basically boiled down to:

1) condescending posts of "ABB is what lazy and/or stupid people get lol" / "that's not good enough for Oxbridge therefore it's terrible"

2) the rest who are saying that it's all fine (aka the "normal" people who aren't obsessed with exam certificates)

What a frustrating thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yes. But be prepared to be lambasted by supervirgins who think anything except A***** and Oxford means you're a failure.

Spoiler

Perfect post tbh.
No. Terrible. You should be ashamed. Did you even revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
Original post by Olympiad
No. Terrible. You should be ashamed. Did you even revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perfect post tbh
Original post by TSR Fan
Yes, it is. If anyone is wondering why I don't type paragraphs and paragraphs, it's because what I say is fairly basic. It is just as simple as that. ABB at A Level is typically awarded to those who slack off, are generally dumb, picked the wrong subjects, etc.

Wow, let me just go break the news to all my fellow class mates who got ABB or below...
Reply 234
Only ABB? Are you retarded? Were you drunk? Did you do the exam blindfolded? With your wrong hand? What happened?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Robbie242
Perfect post tbh

In the sense that it perfectly summed up the classic TSR-bigot point of view, yes.

Seriously, I don't understand you. I've never felt the need to put down those who got "worse" grades than me, ever; sure, there were times when I wanted to boast about "look at me I'm so clever", but never did that actually give me the idea of going on a forum and bleating on about how ABB is "bad".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 236
Original post by Катя
In the sense that it perfectly summed up the classic TSR-bigot point of view, yes.

Seriously, I don't understand you. I've never felt the need to put down those who got "worse" grades than me, ever; sure, there were times when I wanted to boast about "look at me I'm so clever", but never did that actually give me the idea of going on a forum and bleating on about how ABB is "bad".

Posted from TSR Mobile

[scroll]:troll:[/scroll]
Original post by Robbie242
[scroll]:troll:[/scroll]

How bored are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 238
Original post by Катя
How bored are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

[scroll]\infty +:troll: [/scroll]
Original post by Катя
Sigh. This has all basically boiled down to:

1) condescending posts of "ABB is what lazy and/or stupid people get lol" / "that's not good enough for Oxbridge therefore it's terrible"

2) the rest who are saying that it's all fine (aka the "normal" people who aren't obsessed with exam certificates)

What a frustrating thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it has. It does every time someone makes an 'are my grades good?' thread.

(Though you missed out (3): 'jeeze of course they're amazing you supervirgin losers god get a life you couldn't get those results yourself anyway jeeze' etc)

People have different standards. 'Are my grades good?' is a pointless question. Better questions would be 'what proportion of students nationally achieved ABB or better?', or 'how did I do relative to other people in my school?'. What's the point in asking whether randoms on the internet have higher or lower standards than you?
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest