The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You don't need Latin for Ancient History. Just talk about your interest in it in your personal statement, any extra reading you might have done, a topic or whatever. I do Classical Civilisation so it would have been quite easy for me to apply because I wrote about my Class Civ coursework on Ancient Athenian democracy.

Sussex's website also says that their typical offer range is now AAB-BBB so they may not give out all their offers at AAB. They can still be an insurance though because they accept General Studies and want a B in History.
Reply 21
Sorry for the confusion, Queen Mary is BBB!
As for good "lower" offers, I'm not so sure. I thought Edinburgh was BBB but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be easy to get in. Most candidates have AAA!

Leicester is ABB & that's a fairly reputable, not-so-bad course!
Think Reading is ABB/BBB?
Reply 22
Leicester is good, Reading is BBB but I'd rather go to Kent than Reading with the same entrance grades. Oxford Brookes are also good and want BBB.
Reply 23
KerriT
You don't need Latin for Ancient History. Just talk about your interest in it in your personal statement, any extra reading you might have done, a topic or whatever. I do Classical Civilisation so it would have been quite easy for me to apply because I wrote about my Class Civ coursework on Ancient Athenian democracy.

Sussex's website also says that their typical offer range is now AAB-BBB so they may not give out all their offers at AAB. They can still be an insurance though because they accept General Studies and want a B in History.

oo didn't know that! thank you!
Reply 24
I would recomend applying to SOAS with their typical offer being BBC, and their really highly rated - 11th for history by the times
Reply 25
my advice, as someone who has just been through the UCAS applications system, is to have 2 insurance choices!mine were Edinburgh and Queen Mary. Edinburgh is so competitive (i got an offer from Cambridge but not Ediburgh) dont be fooled by their entrance requirements of BBB, you only stand a chance if you are predicted AAA with a good GCSE background (History is so bloody competitive!) The same goes for UCL, where i was also rejected without interview. DON'T APPLY TO DURHAM UNLESS YOU HAVE 6A*S AT GCSE AND ALL A'S ELSEWHERE! i got really good modular marks and i thought that would get me into Durham even though i only have 4A*s at GCSE but it didnt help! I now wish id applied to York instead. Basically History is so much more competitive than you first think so make sure you make room for rejection. even if your grades are perfect you need a safety net. Then again if you are totally determined to go to one particular uni e.g you really want to go to kings,you should maybe consider applying not only for straight History but also for a joint course there e.g History and Politics which is much less competitive!
Reply 26
I'm applying for History and Politics or History and International Relations (hopefully I can get them both onto the same statement) at Oxford, LSE, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and then I'm not sure about the last one... either Durham, St Andrews, Warwick or Exeter!!! I have to visit them during summer...
Which is more competitive to get into- UCL or KCL?
blone_bomb
I would recomend applying to SOAS with their typical offer being BBC, and their really highly rated - 11th for history by the times

Are u sure? From what I've heard they usually give out ABB offers. BBC is their lowest offer.
Reply 29
jeffreyweingard
Which is more competitive to get into- UCL or KCL?

For History Kings has a 12:1 application to places ratio and UCl's is 10:1

A wee bit competitive...
jeffreyweingard
Are u sure? From what I've heard they usually give out ABB offers. BBC is their lowest offer.

I received an offer from SOAS asking for only BBC, and so did most (if not all) other people that applied on TSR. I'm pretty sure that BBC is the norm for them, although I wouldn't be surprised if it increases to ABB for 2007.
Reply 31
EamonnHF
For History Kings has a 12:1 application to places ratio and UCl's is 10:1

A wee bit competitive...

If it makes you feel any better Eamonn History (in particular Modern History) at St Andrews has an 18 or 20:1 ratio.
Reply 32
KerriT
If it makes you feel any better Eamonn History (in particular Modern History) at St Andrews has an 18 or 20:1 ratio.

Who needs St Andrews eh?!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :p: St Andrews is officially on the evil universities list!
Reply 33
I have to re-apply, and do some A levels so I'm going for UCL, KCL SOAS, and Warwick/Royal Holloway/Bristol and am gona try to defer my offers for York and Sheffield. Can any recommend any ideas for a History related gap year?
Reply 34
jeffreyweingard
So which unis do you think are good insurance unis (ie. give out ABB/BBB offers)?

My two ABB offers were Lancaster and Liverpool (other offers were AAB)
Planning on applying 07, but possibly for defferred entry..Oxford, York, Edinburgh, Warwick (?), Durham (?), St Andrews, Exeter
Reply 36
confuddled101
Planning on applying 07, but possibly for defferred entry..Oxford, York, Edinburgh, Warwick (?), Durham (?), St Andrews, Exeter

Excellent choices as long as you have fantastic GCSEs and ASs, plus good predicted grades and a strong PS and references. They are all desperately competitive for history, and you could be in the unenviable position of 6 rejections if you are not the creme de la creme.
My advice would be to go for at least one slightly lesser uni.
Reply 37
good advice lizj...dont be fooled by edinburgh's low requirements! it is unbelievably competitive!
Reply 38
God, I really really want to study History at Uni but I got pretty average GCSE results think if Im lucky I could get an A in history at AS more likely a B though. And BCC for the other subjects well its what I suppose to be getting anyway.
I love History as a subject but I don't know if that is going to be good enough and what chances I stand with getting into a half decent Uni. :frown:
Reply 39
Paula
God, I really really want to study History at Uni but I got pretty average GCSE results think if Im lucky I could get an A in history at AS more likely a B though. And BCC for the other subjects well its what I suppose to be getting anyway.
I love History as a subject but I don't know if that is going to be good enough and what chances I stand with getting into a half decent Uni. :frown:

You should do it if you love history! It doesn't really matter what uni you go to as long as you enjoy the course and what your studying. Sometimes it helps though to combine History with a subject that's not as popular if your dead set on a certain uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending