The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2200
Original post by LRA
thanks I am slowly coming to terms with the fact it was really bad luck but I think he may have failed me if I had gone 'stfu before I nearly crash' haha

Many people on this thread have complained their examiner didn't chat to them. Clearly, they can't win.

If you have such strong preferences you should tell them - if you can't do that, you should practice saying "im sorry, i crashed because my passengers were chatting" as you'll probably need it in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2201
Original post by Juno
Many people on this thread have complained their examiner didn't chat to them. Clearly, they can't win.

If you have such strong preferences you should tell them - if you can't do that, you should practice saying "im sorry, i crashed because my passengers were chatting" as you'll probably need it in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked him talking when it was just simple roads but when I am tackling a roundabout, traffic lights and a car stuck in the middle of the road I would rather concentrate than have to tell him what subjects I do at college!
I've had nearly 11 months worth of lessons ( lack of confidence )

Had my first test early last month, it was at 9.37, and surprised i didn't feel that nervous... i was pretty calm, i new i wouldn't pass first time, anyway, was doing well until the end, i indicated to go over to the right lane, the **** in the car wouldn't let me... so when i did get a chance to go over, the car behind was right up my ass, got back to the test centre, and failed because when i indicated to go over, the examiner said, you couldn't really go over, so should of just gone straight on, when you moved over you made the car behind slow down, was a bit upset just for the fact other than that, i would of only had 3 minors, i had to do a Parallel Park plus we went a route i new, so for my first test i thought i was lucky and bloody new my next one wouldn't be as good

and i was right.....

was not meant to take my second test until end of this month, but he got a cancellation and said do i want it, so i took it, test was yesterday, and boy did the nerves show, was a bloody mess, to start with the test was at 2.32, i new i would be in the middle of school run traffic, i had a grumpy woman examiner who made me feel even more nervous, she took me on a route id never been on, plus i got the dreaded reverse around the corner, i paused and went blank, and ****ed it up by steering the wrong way, ended up on the other side of the round, and couldn't start it again as cars were behind me, got 6 minors aswell, couldn't believe i did worse 2nd time and my nervous was sooo bad,

still got a test booked for 31st of this month at 9.32, so hoping the early time will help, 3rd time lucky i hope, spend so much on driving lessons, an intense course, and tests!
Why the hell was I negged for saying my mom took five tests to pass and there was a girl at school who has had four, in response to a question somebody asked?
Original post by lauraaaaa
Why the hell was I negged for saying my mom took five tests to pass and there was a girl at school who has had four, in response to a question somebody asked?

It might've been the way you said 'still hasn't passed' after four. There's people on this thread who are have taken more tests than that and you made it sound like it's a negative thing. :dontknow:
Original post by Shorty94
It might've been the way you said 'still hasn't passed' after four. There's people on this thread who are have taken more tests than that and you made it sound like it's a negative thing. :dontknow:

I didn't mean it like that. I meant that she's had four and hasn't passed so will be having a fifth. People are far too uptight and quick to insinuate things on here.
Reply 2206
Original post by Anonymousgirll
Whats the most number of driving tests someones had just out of curiosity?

Apparently some 40 year old guy from stoke failed 38 times. :http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/39th-time-lucky-Stoke-Trent-driving-test-figures/story-18265926-detail/story.html#axzz2gfUOvyzx

And apparently the more tests you do, the chances of passing are reduced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8978411/Driving-test-repeat-candidates-more-likely-to-fail.html

Oh right that explains a lot thanks.
Reply 2208
Original post by Beautywithin
I've had nearly 11 months worth of lessons ( lack of confidence )

Had my first test early last month, it was at 9.37, and surprised i didn't feel that nervous... i was pretty calm, i new i wouldn't pass first time, anyway, was doing well until the end, i indicated to go over to the right lane, the **** in the car wouldn't let me... so when i did get a chance to go over, the car behind was right up my ass, got back to the test centre, and failed because when i indicated to go over, the examiner said, you couldn't really go over, so should of just gone straight on, when you moved over you made the car behind slow down, was a bit upset just for the fact other than that, i would of only had 3 minors, i had to do a Parallel Park plus we went a route i new, so for my first test i thought i was lucky and bloody new my next one wouldn't be as good

and i was right.....

was not meant to take my second test until end of this month, but he got a cancellation and said do i want it, so i took it, test was yesterday, and boy did the nerves show, was a bloody mess, to start with the test was at 2.32, i new i would be in the middle of school run traffic, i had a grumpy woman examiner who made me feel even more nervous, she took me on a route id never been on, plus i got the dreaded reverse around the corner, i paused and went blank, and ****ed it up by steering the wrong way, ended up on the other side of the round, and couldn't start it again as cars were behind me, got 6 minors aswell, couldn't believe i did worse 2nd time and my nervous was sooo bad,

still got a test booked for 31st of this month at 9.32, so hoping the early time will help, 3rd time lucky i hope, spend so much on driving lessons, an intense course, and tests!

I would have failed had I got reverse round corner too. It just falls down to luck on the day, and one day you will get lucky!
I've never posted on this forum before, but I have my first test at the end of November and I'm really scared! I think I'm okay with all the manoeuvres but I sometimes do really silly things when driving.

What would happen if you indicated too early? Like you were on a road and were indicating to turn left but it may have looked like you were pulling in to park. Would you get a minor for that? I meant to ask my teacher but I forgot haha

Also, what would happen if there was a car waiting to come into the main road from a side road and you didn't let them out and kept going would that count as a minor too? Like I know that we technically have right of way but if you did it a certain number of times would it count towards anything or am I just worrying over nothing.

Good luck to everyone with their tests! :smile:
Reply 2210
Original post by Soufflegirl
I've never posted on this forum before, but I have my first test at the end of November and I'm really scared! I think I'm okay with all the manoeuvres but I sometimes do really silly things when driving.

What would happen if you indicated too early? Like you were on a road and were indicating to turn left but it may have looked like you were pulling in to park. Would you get a minor for that? I meant to ask my teacher but I forgot haha

Also, what would happen if there was a car waiting to come into the main road from a side road and you didn't let them out and kept going would that count as a minor too? Like I know that we technically have right of way but if you did it a certain number of times would it count towards anything or am I just worrying over nothing.

If you indicate far too early you might get a minor, but if it's only a bit too early it might not be an issue.

You don't stop to let cars out. If you do you'll probably get a minor (maybe even a major if it's unsafe). Your instructor is clearly rubbish if you think you need to let them out.

Don't indicate too early, it confuses cars behind you and could well get you a minor. As for giving way to cars from side roads, you will not get a minor for not giving them way however, if you carry on driving and end up in traffic (blocking that car on the side road) then you've got problems. Always look ahead and judge the traffic, if there's a lot of traffic and your car will just block the road if you were to proceed, then it's best to hold back and let other cars out/in to that side road. Hope that makes sense.
Original post by Juno
If you indicate far too early you might get a minor, but if it's only a bit too early it might not be an issue.

You don't stop to let cars out. If you do you'll probably get a minor (maybe even a major if it's unsafe). Your instructor is clearly rubbish if you think you need to let them out.

Thank you! I was just wondering because I indicated slightly early today but I don't think it was really early.

I know I don't need to let cars out, I was just worried about it because my instructor tells me not to, but then when I go driving with my dad he criticises me for not giving way sometimes. Thank you for your help though!
Original post by pinda.college
Don't indicate too early, it confuses cars behind you and could well get you a minor. As for giving way to cars from side roads, you will not get a minor for not giving them way however, if you carry on driving and end up in traffic (blocking that car on the side road) then you've got problems. Always look ahead and judge the traffic, if there's a lot of traffic and your car will just block the road if you were to proceed, then it's best to hold back and let other cars out/in to that side road. Hope that makes sense.

Thank you, it does make sense :smile: If there's a queue of traffic I was taught to leave access to the side road clear anyway :smile:
Reply 2214
Thank you! I was just wondering because I indicated slightly early today but I don't think it was really early.

I know I don't need to let cars out, I was just worried about it because my instructor tells me not to, but then when I go driving with my dad he criticises me for not giving way sometimes. Thank you for your help though!

If you're driving along making good progress then you don't stop to let others out.

If it's rush hour and you're not going quickly, and someone looks like they've been waiting for a while and will be waiting for a while longer, then it can be nice to let them out. But only do this if it's not going to significantly affect people behind you - if you have to slow drastically, for example, the people behind won't be expecting it.

But if you do let someone out, you do not flash your lights to say you're doing it.

Listen to your instructor, not your dad. You pay a professional to teach you. A few weeks back there was someone whose dad was telling them never to check their blind spot when joining the motorway, and to always look forward instead. That sort of advice causes accidents.
F**K F**K F**K. I failed for the second time. F**K. I wanna bang my head against my desk for the remainder of my life.
Original post by ThatLTUguy
F**K F**K F**K. I failed for the second time. F**K. I wanna bang my head against my desk for the remainder of my life.

Bad luck. What did you fail on?

And chin up, it's not like it was your 100th test :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know it's not the end of the world, but I had like 5 minutes of driving left on a straight road with very light traffic before I messed up, so it's pretty disappointing. I did everything almost perfectly until I decided to change lanes almost at the end of my route. The instructor had to grab the wheel because I was about to cut someone off and I would have probably hit the car behind me. It's a big and dangerous mistake, but if this wasn't a test I would just have stayed in the lane I was in and everything would have been fine. Instead, I almost caused an accident. It was my second time taking the test and no one knows how many more of these dumb mistakes I'm gonna make.
Reply 2219
Signals should be given wherever they could be of benefit to other road users. Indicating should be timed so as not to cause confusion.

Usually, when deciding when to apply an indicator, the mirrors have the answer. If you are being closely followed, it stands to reason that more notice should be given of your impending speed / directional change, so an early signal could be beneficial to that driver. If there is nobody around for miles, then ask yourself if you need a signal at all.

Of course, events happen mid-flow (such as a car arriving at a side road) and that is when you can change your plan and either add or cancel a signal at that point. It can be dangerous to have a left signal on when passing a side road on your left that you do not intend to turn into.

Also, what would happen if there was a car waiting to come into the main road from a side road and you didn't let them out and kept going would that count as a minor too?
Generally speaking, if you have priority, take it. You must keep up with the flow of traffic whenever that traffic is in motion. Stationary queues, on the other hand, require different judgement and this is where rule 151 of the highway code comes into effect.
hc_rule_151_do_not_block_access_to_a_side_road.jpg
Note the brake lights on the cars. These cars are obviously stationary. Was this the situation that occurred when your Dad criticised you?

Latest

Trending

Trending