The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE from an American University

Hey guys, I'm currently enrolled in the first year of an American University. It says on LSE's website that I can apply with my first year grades from an undergraduate university with a GPA of 3.2 and above. Obviously, 3.2 is a bit low for a top drawer university such as LSE so I was wondering what I would realistically need to get out of 4 to stand a chance? Cheers.
Where did you get this info? From what I can find, you need 3.5
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by thinkthings
I think OP got the information from here.

I *think* maybe at least a 3.5, since that's what they ask for for graduate entry. I also think it would depend on what your high school grades are. Weaker high school grades would probably need to be compensated by a stronger first year GPA.

I'm a little confused though - you say you're a first year student. Does that mean you just started university, say a few weeks ago? I'm not sure you are eligible as a student "offering the first year of an undergraduate degree" since you haven't even completed your first semester. Even if your professors were to predict your grades so that you could estimate your end-of-semester GPA (though how they would make an accurate prediction based on a couple of weeks of knowing you, I'm not sure,) they would only be predicting your first semester grades, not your first year grades, which is what LSE is asking for. My understanding of the American system is you'll be taking a set of different classes next semester and LSE will want to know those grades as well.

*Unless you're asking for next year's application cycle! Then ignore what I said :smile:

Thanks for the reply mate! Hoping 3.6 or 3.7 will do the trick as that's what I'm on course to get. My high school grades were well below par (32 in IB, 6s in HL econs and business though). Yes, I just got to my university on August 24th so it's been 2 months here (American Universities start a bit earlier) also a large chunk of the grades here are based on coursework so the professors have all been able to provide predicted grades. I spoke to LSE and they were encouraging an application. Obviously, as you say I'll probably have to stay here a year. One thing I was wondering though: if I submit my application by tomorrow, can I expect to get a reply before the end of January? Would love it if I got a conditional offer and knew exactly what I needed to achieve.
Bump, got a predicted 3.9 GPA and a pretty good personal statement, what do you guys reckon my chances are? My high school grades were poor as stated above but 3.9 is well above their required 3.2
Reply 4
Original post by cassiusclaymore
Bump, got a predicted 3.9 GPA and a pretty good personal statement, what do you guys reckon my chances are? My high school grades were poor as stated above but 3.9 is well above their required 3.2

Very improved.

Did you do any APs, SATs or ACT?

What university are you currently at?
Original post by LutherVan
Very improved.

Did you do any APs, SATs or ACT?

What university are you currently at?

I did do SATs but LSE stated on their website that they don't welcome SAT scores. Kind of a blessing actually cause my score wasn't that great, I didn't focus half as much as I should have in High School but got my **** together now. I'm currently at Rutgers University New Brunswick.

Anyone else think I've got a good chance? Really hoping the predicted grades good enough to get a conditional offer.
Reply 6
Original post by cassiusclaymore
I did do SATs but LSE stated on their website that they don't welcome SAT scores. Kind of a blessing actually cause my score wasn't that great, I didn't focus half as much as I should have in High School but got my **** together now. I'm currently at Rutgers University New Brunswick.

Anyone else think I've got a good chance? Really hoping the predicted grades good enough to get a conditional offer.

It would be an uphill task considering you have no APs, your IB is 32 and your university, while a good one, is not elite.

The only upside I have seen so far is your 3.9 GPA prediction.

LSE has a lot of applicants, many of who have strong academics, because of its reputation (one second only to Oxbridge in the UK) but yet it is quite a small university, so their pickings are rich.

You should still apply, what is the worst that could happen?
Original post by LutherVan
It would be an uphill task considering you have no APs, your IB is 32 and your university, while a good one, is not elite.

The only upside I have seen so far is your 3.9 GPA prediction.

LSE has a lot of applicants, many of who have strong academics, because of its reputation (one second only to Oxbridge in the UK) but yet it is quite a small university, so their pickings are rich.

You should still apply, what is the worst that could happen?

Yeah I never had the opportunity to do the AP exams unfortunately, was IB then college! Hopefully my personal statement can make the difference, apparently that's of huge significance to LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending