The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by MedMed12
not sure what their resit policy is if you are retaking the year, but you could apply to Liverpool, Lancaster :smile:

Sorry I didn't mean to retake the year but only resit chem exams in jan as im still in year 13
Reply 1601
Original post by myyrh
Your chances don't look good I'm afraid. You can try and ask the universities if they would consider your extenuating circumstances but it's possible that they will be reluctant since you didn't disclose them beforehand. If your extenuating circumstances are expected you really must be predicted at least AAA if not higher in order to stand a chance. Anything lower will just not be good enough unfortunately.
If you receive AAA after resitting then you could always take another gap year and apply provided the universities you contact, agree to accept an application from you. It's pretty much next to impossible for you to ring up on results day and ask for an offer.
If you have your heart still set on medicine you could always go down the graduate entry route.

Ah I see :smile: Thank you, I think i'll opt for the graduate entry route and see if I still want to do it in due time haha. :biggrin:
Okay, I need some good honest advice.

Last year I underachieved massively in my AS levels getting BBBC. I was extremely disappointed and although I had a good UKCAT score of 663, decided that applying with AAB predictions would be futile.

Since then I went on to achieve A*AB, with the B in chemistry.
My plans for this year are to resit one module in chem to get the marks up (i was only about 10 marks off overall), continue my work as a dispenser at Lloyds Pharmacy where I have been for 3 years as well as Bank HCA work which I am waiting for a post after being successful at interview. In the meantime my local GPs have offered me a job doing admin and I volunteer at a care home.

I am applying to Keele because they offer A*AB, BSMS which is where I have always wanted to go, and have changed my other two options to Exeter and Liverpool as they accept resits. My UKCAT is on Thursday.

I have a strong PS due to a cadet background, having achieved an RAF scholarship to study medicine as well as a flying scholarship and high rank etcetc.

I need advice on whether Exeter is the right fourth option, whether I am honestly a strong enough candidate and where my application could be improved.

Thanks!
Reply 1603
Hello Guys, did my UKCAT today and got a bittersweet score really:

VR: 540
QR: 750
AR: 510 (got 620 in this last year :angry:)
DA: 810
Overall: 652.5

Any advice on where I should apply to? I was going to apply to plymouth or exeter but I doubt the 510 would meet the cut-off

thanks
Original post by Ray..
To all who completed/ are completing A-levels in 3years..
I just sent an email to the top 20 medical schools in the UK regarding their resit policie (also mentioning that I have aspergers syndrome ); I got a reply from Manchester saying they would consider a offer from me, so long as I provided a letter from my doctor or school explaining how my condition affected my grade. So all I have to do now is call my psychologist and have her write a letter and it'll pass as 'extenuating circumstances'.
Note to all : Most medical schools consider resit applicants( even the likes of oxford and Cambridge!) as long as their circumstances are extenuating and they achieve A*AAc

Hi I was just wondering did you tell the exam board about your extenuating circumstances, because I saw on the website they don't take them into account if the exam board knew and I have applied and told the exam board about my circumstances at the time.
Thank you!
Reply 1605
If you have extenuating circumstances and the examination board give you an extra 5%, would you get an extra 5% of the mark you got or 5% of the total marks availiable?...if you get what i mean. basically if you got 50/100, would you get given 5 additional marks, or 2.5? thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by sarah :)
Okay, I need some good honest advice.

Last year I underachieved massively in my AS levels getting BBBC. I was extremely disappointed and although I had a good UKCAT score of 663, decided that applying with AAB predictions would be futile.

Since then I went on to achieve A*AB, with the B in chemistry.
My plans for this year are to resit one module in chem to get the marks up (i was only about 10 marks off overall), continue my work as a dispenser at Lloyds Pharmacy where I have been for 3 years as well as Bank HCA work which I am waiting for a post after being successful at interview. In the meantime my local GPs have offered me a job doing admin and I volunteer at a care home.

I am applying to Keele because they offer A*AB, BSMS which is where I have always wanted to go, and have changed my other two options to Exeter and Liverpool as they accept resits. My UKCAT is on Thursday.

I have a strong PS due to a cadet background, having achieved an RAF scholarship to study medicine as well as a flying scholarship and high rank etcetc.

I need advice on whether Exeter is the right fourth option, whether I am honestly a strong enough candidate and where my application could be improved.

Thanks!

Bumping this to include my more recent UCKAT score of 720 average. :smile:

Advice please!
Bumping this to include my more recent UCKAT score of 720 average. :smile:

Advice please!

Because you got A*AB, You are eligible to apply to plymouth and Southampton I think.
Maybe try for those?

I'm applying to exeter too! haha I hope I can get into medicine this year!
Reply 1608
UCAS finally sent, just waiting game now
Reading through it seems that most people who got in had AAB or ABB first sitting... :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1610
Don't worry, you'll be fine. On the side note, I have a questions for some of the resitters currently at lpool, when did you hear back from them?
Reply 1611
Original post by Setsuna
Don't worry, you'll be fine. On the side note, I have a questions for some of the resitters currently at lpool, when did you hear back from them?

December 22ndish I got the interview invite.
Original post by Maryb_101
Do the ukcat because what if you dont get into them unis? You need a backup plan.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

congratulations firstly and secondly, Id like to talk to you in private If that's ok regarding medicine
Original post by hazratkhan
congratulations firstly and secondly, Id like to talk to you in private If that's ok regarding medicine

Maryb_101 posted that in 2012, if you look at the top of the post it says she's been banned- I doubt you're going to get a reply!
Just following up from my previous post I now have a conditional offer AAA for exeter and an unconditional offer from keele. It can be done!
Reply 1615
Just following up from my previous post I now have a conditional offer AAA for exeter and an unconditional offer from keele. It can be done!

Congratulations! Well done. Which one will you firm and what were your stats?
Original post by bukoba
Congratulations! Well done. Which one will you firm and what were your stats?

Exeter firm keele insurance,
gcses 1a* 7as 2bs
as - bbbc
a2 - a*ab
ukcat 720 sjt top band

:smile:
Reply 1617
Exeter firm keele insurance,
gcses 1a* 7as 2bs
as - bbbc
a2 - a*ab
ukcat 720 sjt top band

:smile:

Excellent excellent. Well done for pulling up your grades and not giving up. Good luck at Exeter. Join the freshens facebook
Guys I'm in a really complicated situation.

I am currently doing Maths, Economics, English Language & Literature and History for AS Levels but recently I've found so much interest in medicine after reading my sister's medical books. I know I have the option to do Medicine with foundation year but I don't think I have enough work experience to do it.

Therefore, I am looking into resitting the whole year again and take sciences to do the standard 5 year medical course. What are your opinions about this? I'm also going to take English Literature, Religious Studies, Chemistry and Biology.
Reply 1619
Apply for the foundation year, it is a much better optional route. there is still a lot of competition when applying but unis dont like looking at 3 years

Latest

Trending

Trending