The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Student Bank Accounts

Hi

As OU students are we able to get student bank accounts (the overdraft would come in handy) ?, if so what kind of details would I have to provide as all I have is my letter to confirm I've been accepted onto my degree.

Thanks,
Marcus
Reply 1
Hi Marcus,
I have a student back account with TSB, I just had to take in my acceptance letter confirming what I was studying and how long for and a form of ID. With my account I get a £500 overdraft which can then be extended the second year then further extended to the third year but I've kept mine at £500 and it is handy :smile:

Shop around and see what different banks have to offer but I'm happy with my TSB account :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I'm with Barclays for my student account. They were really helpful, it was quick and they give you a £200 overdraft on the day. You can then just contact the student team to see if you can increase it. But I'm happy with it as it is :smile:
Reply 3
Ok cheers for the info, I popped into Santander a few weeks ago but they said I 'd need to be in the UCAS database, I never applied through them as I applied directly to the OU.
Reply 4
Original post by mug2k
Ok cheers for the info, I popped into Santander a few weeks ago but they said I 'd need to be in the UCAS database, I never applied through them as I applied directly to the OU.

Sorry this is a late reply, but definitely try Lloyds, TSB or Barclay as you only need your acceptance letter from the OU. The only other thing is that I remember from opening my account you need to have money going in regularly, but I think you can work your away around that if you don't have a wage going in by just paying a bit of money in now and then!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Simone.xox
Sorry this is a late reply, but definitely try Lloyds, TSB or Barclay as you only need your acceptance letter from the OU. The only other thing is that I remember from opening my account you need to have money going in regularly, but I think you can work your away around that if you don't have a wage going in by just paying a bit of money in now and then!

With Barclays if your an existing customer they do not require you to have any regular money going in, just the odd bit now and then, and they ask if you get student finance. I just told them I will be getting my grant paid into the account and they were fine. It is also super quick (about 5 mins) if you are an existing customer because your current account becomes the Student Additions Account (same thing just with the overdraft). :
Reply 6
Just checked Barclays conditions and they require full-time study for a student account, that true or OU is a different category?
Reply 7
Original post by Gendo
Just checked Barclays conditions and they require full-time study for a student account, that true or OU is a different category?

You are right, you have to be doing 120 credits. According to some other banks such as Lloyds the same applies, but they might not ask you :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest