The Student Room Group

UCL new course bsc Management?

Hey,

So UCL have a new undergrad course, Bsc management. I know management usually places well from the targets, LSE and Warwick, whats your take on UCL bsc management for FO IB? Also WBS have a new undergrad course, bsc information systems management and innovation, sounds like a joke of a degree, but would it benefit from the warwick name?

I cant imagine UCL's course will be overly competitive for its first year, which would be better for investment banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Just be a ****ing man and stick with LSE/Oxbridge Econ
Reply 2
Not really answering the question, my GCSE's aren't good enough for OXBRIDGE/LSE econ.
Reply 3
Original post by WishfulBanker
Hey,

So UCL have a new undergrad course, Bsc management. I know management usually places well from the targets, LSE and Warwick, whats your take on UCL bsc management for FO IB? Also WBS have a new undergrad course, bsc information systems management and innovation, sounds like a joke of a degree, but would it benefit from the warwick name?

I cant imagine UCL's course will be overly competitive for its first year, which would be better for investment banking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Degree doesnt really matter, uni brand is what's important, so I dont think it being a new course will matter w.r.t the UCL degree. That being said though there is a slight bias to your more traditional degrees (maths, chemistry, geography, physics, history, etc) and would try to avoid anything that sounds new-fangled (like this Warwick degree sounds to an extent), though UCL have an equivalent course (IMB) and from what I've seen there the course name/rep hasnt really mattered too much since the overall UCL rep is more important.
Reply 4
Original post by MAINE.
Degree doesnt really matter, uni brand is what's important, so I dont think it being a new course will matter w.r.t the UCL degree. That being said though there is a slight bias to your more traditional degrees (maths, chemistry, geography, physics, history, etc) and would try to avoid anything that sounds new-fangled (like this Warwick degree sounds to an extent), though UCL have an equivalent course (IMB) and from what I've seen there the course name/rep hasnt really mattered too much since the overall UCL rep is more important.

Thanks, I will be applying to

Lse management (optimistic)
Warwick management
UCL management
UCL IMB
Not sure about the last choice

Do you have any suggestions for my final choice?

I have already achieved AAA, so UCL should accept me for at least one of the courses, on the IMB page one of the grad destinations was analyst at goldmans so youre right about uni brand being more important.

Also on the IMB page one of the destinations is London B.school msc management, this place is a top target right...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks, I will be applying to

Lse management (optimistic)
Warwick management
UCL management
UCL IMB
Not sure about the last choice

Do you have any suggestions for my final choice?

I have already achieved AAA, so UCL should accept me for at least one of the courses, on the IMB page one of the grad destinations was analyst at goldmans so youre right about uni brand being more important.

Also on the IMB page one of the destinations is London B.school msc management, this place is a top target right...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are correct, no one cares what you do only the university name. Goldman, Morgan Stanley, Citi and Credit Suisse all FO from my year IMB alone.
Reply 6
May I ask what grades you got? With AAA will I have decent shot at UCL IMB, or their new management bachelors? LSE is a long shot, but worth the punt
Reply 7
May I ask what grades you got? With AAA will I have decent shot at UCL IMB, or their new management bachelors? LSE is a long shot, but worth the punt

I got in 4 years ago when the requirements were only ABB and it was less competitive. Yeah LSE is always worth a punt, I didn't get in but worth applying. AAA should put you in a good position for IMB with a good PS. Afraid I don't know much about the new management one, I think its quite mathsy though so I imagine your maths grade counts for a fair bit.
Reply 8
Ok, I like the math aspect of the management course.

Im thinking of staying with econ right now as im not sure if management is mathematical enough for trading.

Do you know anyone from IMB at FO S&T?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Im thinking of staying with econ right now as im not sure if management is mathematical enough for trading.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah at least 3 or 4 I know personally and I'm sure there are others.
Reply 10

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to be great in maths for trading. Just competent enough.
Reply 11
What about economics and business with east european studies at ucl?
Does it sound like a dodgy course for IB, better than management?
I m thinking about make a choice between Accounting and Finance(Warwick University) and Management Science(ucl).Which one should I chose.I think ucl is better in overall ranking.But Warwick seems to be more competitive in Business courses.

I m very struggling!
Reply 13
Having taken Accounting with the UCL Management dept (as my optional module). I would 100% recommend them. They are so efficient, helpful, and honestly push you to get a FIRST. I was so impressed by the dept, I applied for MSc Management. They cover things like Corporate Finance, which helps for IB!
Reply 14
If it's part of the management for science & innovation department, then take it and don't look bad. The staff & students on that course are so on it!
Original post by Sugar Zhuxin
I m thinking about make a choice between Accounting and Finance(Warwick University) and Management Science(ucl).Which one should I chose.I think ucl is better in overall ranking.But Warwick seems to be more competitive in Business courses.

I m very struggling!

Hey, want to know about your choice !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending