The Student Room Group

To what extent is parliament an effective check on the power of government?

I have a rough idea on what to write however i just want to know what is the best way i can structure it out as an argument and a few points i can talk about on each side of the argument .
Please and urgent.
Much appreciated. :smile:
If we're talking in the notion of the separation of powers, parliament have the power to legislate and push bills through as necessary and the Government (Ie the cabinet) are not allowed to make legislation and simply propose it. In addition we live in a "Democracy" where our views are represented to prevent tyranny. That is it in it's simple sense in saying that there is an adequate separation of powers, although some would argue that the arms still greatly overlap.
Original post by und3niable_
If we're talking in the notion of the separation of powers, parliament have the power to legislate and push bills through as necessary and the Government (Ie the cabinet) are not allowed to make legislation and simply propose it. In addition we live in a "Democracy" where our views are represented to prevent tyranny. That is it in it's simple sense in saying that there is an adequate separation of powers, although some would argue that the arms still greatly overlap.

So would you say Government is just the cabinet. And parliament is made up of elected MPs from elected parties?.
What book which you recommend for a complete beginner?:smile:
Original post by Jasmine1992
So would you say Government is just the cabinet. And parliament is made up of elected MPs from elected parties?.
What book which you recommend for a complete beginner?:smile:

The Government = Cabinet. Parliament = HoC (Cabinet sit in there) <- Who are elected yes<, HoL and the Queen. Hmm it depends what level of study you're at, because it's something I learnt and picked during common general knowledge, A-Level and currently during my degree.

Here is literally the simplest stuff (Cheap too!). It explains everything! But may be quite subjective as they're written by Ex Politicians. If you want a more in depth explanation then you're better off buying a law/politics textbook (Depending on what you study of course)

I'll inbox them so no spam :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending