The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
What's demotivating you?

The modules are boring. I really can't be bothered going over biochem :frown:
Original post by Hippokrates
The modules are boring. I really can't be bothered going over biochem :frown:

That sort of demotivation - yeah, at the moment I feel like that about three times a week, though tbh it's renal physiology which is killing me currently, I can just about handle biochem. At any rate, here are some things which help me get through it, hopefully they'll be of some help to you:

1) Talk about it with your mates - I guarantee you quite a lot of people will be feeling similarly pissed off and stressed out, and there's nothing like a good rant. It's very cathartic. This is a long and demanding course and you're going to have a lot of moments like this - don't keep it all to yourself.

2) If you're feeling really overwhelmed at this exact moment, take the rest of the night off and do something totally different. Go to a mate's flat, watch a couple of films, whatever. Just don't do any work. A single night off won't affect your performance/grades and it'll recharge your batteries.

3) Get drunk - self explanatory, although admittedly, not that fun to do on a Sunday night.

4) Keep your eye on the prize. Just keep telling yourself that once you pass the pre-clinical exams, you'll never have to give a **** about the ins and outs of the fluid mosaic model or the intricacies of the replication fork ever again (hopefully).

5) Finally, accept that despite doing all of the above, you'll still have days which feel totally boring and samey and that it's okay to be pissed off about that.

6) Listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ApvdxdRt8
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
That sort of demotivation - yeah, at the moment I feel like that about three times a week, though tbh it's renal physiology which is killing me currently, I can just about handle biochem. At any rate, here are some things which help me get through it, hopefully they'll be of some help to you:

1) Talk about it with your mates - I guarantee you quite a lot of people will be feeling similarly pissed off and stressed out, and there's nothing like a good rant. It's very cathartic. This is a long and demanding course and you're going to have a lot of moments like this - don't keep it all to yourself.

2) If you're feeling really overwhelmed at this exact moment, take the rest of the night off and do something totally different. Go to a mate's flat, watch a couple of films, whatever. Just don't do any work. A single night off won't affect your performance/grades and it'll recharge your batteries.

3) Get drunk - self explanatory, although admittedly, not that fun to do on a Sunday night.

4) Keep your eye on the prize. Just keep telling yourself that once you pass the pre-clinical exams, you'll never have to give a **** about the ins and outs of the fluid mosaic model or the intricacies of the replication fork ever again (hopefully).

5) Finally, accept that despite doing all of the above, you'll still have days which feel totally boring and samey and that it's okay to be pissed off about that.

6) Listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8ApvdxdRt8

I like 3 :wink:
Original post by KiranG
This is a serious question lol... Is it possible to find a job where medicine and music mix? Like a doctor for a band on tour, or a doctor during concerts? Or is that more of a volunteering/non-permanent job?

This would be my absolute dream job, would love to work at Download or something. Pretty sure my career inclinations towards anaesthetics won't help though!
Reply 8604
Original post by Mushi_master
This would be my absolute dream job, would love to work at Download or something. Pretty sure my career inclinations towards anaesthetics won't help though!

I know right... half my year are so motivated and want to volunteer for MSF and whatnot, and I'm just here trying to find ways to use my degree to stalk Tremonti and all my favourite bands haha. :tongue:
Reply 8605
Original post by Hippokrates
I'm so unmotivated, I keep shopping, somebody help me?

I'm afraid there's no way of getting around the mind-numbing crap that is first semester at UoN. ALL the first years I've spoken to are finding it boring (as we did). You just have to grit your teeth and get through it (and pass, because you don't want to go back to revising BHS/PH1/MBM (who am I kidding? All the modules) come summer). Second semester is MUCH better :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8606
Hi! I'm a 1st year GKT medic! Does anyone have any tips for how to revise or make notes specifically for phase 1? :smile:
My first exam's over, I'm freeeee :woo:

Until my workshop at 2pm..
Original post by KiranG
Thanks! That would definitely be the best case scenario, but it does seem as though it's a rare opportunity. I'm only in year 3 so I have no idea what speciality I'd like to go into but a job like what you described would actually keep me going through this degree... -_-

This isn't supposed to come across aggressively (I'm just curious) but I'm struggling to find a nice way of putting it in text without a tone of voice. Why did you originally want to do medicine and has anything changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jasqur
Hi! I'm a 1st year GKT medic! Does anyone have any tips for how to revise or make notes specifically for phase 1? :smile:

Find out how you learn...
Fr the phase one stuff its just memorising a lot of it and answering the questions in tutorials - i personally use youtube videos (specifically khan academy) the most useful. I find the phase 1 stuff harder than the phase 2 stuff im going at the same time (grad entry) because it isnt really clinical so for my youtube and working with a few other people is usually the best
Reply 8610
Original post by RollerBall
This isn't supposed to come across aggressively (I'm just curious) but I'm struggling to find a nice way of putting it in text without a tone of voice. Why did you originally want to do medicine and has anything changed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well after 2 years of just lectures, you can't blame me for getting sick of medicine! I'm enjoying it a lot more now as I'm on the wards for the whole of this year, so I wouldn't say it was a completely wrong choice for me as the enthusiasm is still there.

And as for what changed... I think I just got lazier in medschool. :tongue:
Reply 8611
Original post by Kinkerz
What do you do in your CBL sessions?

Here, we do PBL for years 1 and 2, CBL for year 3 and CIL (case-illustrated learning) in year 4.

As far as I can tell the only real difference between PBL and CBL is the types of questions we end up asking after the case: they're less sciency and more about pragmatic clinical stuff. The difference between CBL and CIL is, to all intents and purposes, nil. CBL is essentially PBL for clinical years.

Ahh I see, cheers for the help! =D

Well, for us, we haven't actually started the CBL sessions yet (they're to come in Jan), but from what I've gathered, it's presenting a certain medical case to us in small groups, we'll attend some lectures and practicals to learn about the associated science behind it in a "system" way (e.g. if the case is about a heart disease, apparantly we'll learn all about the cardiovascular sys, then it's up to us to apply/further our knowledge to the case), but when investigating the scenario, each of us will have to split the research areas/roles amongst ourselves like in PBL. Then after 2 weeks, we'll come together at the end of the case to share (?) a summary of what we've learnt. We'll have a facilitator per group and I'm guessing we'll have mini tutes here and there as well. Like you said, it really depends on the content right, so who knows what it'll be like. :dontknow:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Welcome to the forum! How are you enjoying med school so far? :biggrin:

IMO, just make your own flash cards! If you've got an Android device - Anki is a great, free flashcard program. Can sync it up with your computer and can be web-based, too. Hence you can access it from literally wherever. Flash card sets (like Netter's) are incredibly expensive. If you've got money dripping out of your pockets, then there's no harm in buying them, but if you're on a student budget then they're definitely not worth the cash, IMO.

Sorry, did you say you've already bought essential clinical anatomy and student Gray's?

There's a big difference, apparently. One of our med ed faculty is massive about all these sorts of learning and the differences between them and their efficacy. There's a difference in the aim and methodology of both, but I don't really know what it is. He does comment, though, that the line between them is often blurred because schools implement them in all sorts of different ways, so what they call the teaching, and how it actually plays out can be two different things. :tongue:

Heey~! Thanks and I'm enjoying it so far :smile: I'm really enjoying the variety of things we're learning and doing (e.g. never thought I'd say this (as I'm kinda squeamish) but I really enjoy dissection!)

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I don't think I'll buy the flashcards. I've bought both the essential clinical anatomy and Gray's anatomy for students books, so I thought I'd try and learn the anatomy from there. =P We've got tonnes of the McMinn's atlases in the libraries so I'll just keep renewing I think, for now anyway. xD
Oh the flashcard program sounds great, I'll check it out thanks!

Yeah, I think I'll definitely not judge and see for myself what it's like first. I feel sometimes what my med school claims to do, they actually do it differently as well (I guess it depends on the leader/lecturer, but we had a small group tute the other day, meant to involve the lecturer going through the reasoning and answers for the questions but it turned out to just be us huddled in a group doing the questions ourselves and leave when we're done. xD).

Original post by hslakaal
I find them useful - especially during long commutes on buses to+fro work and whatnot. Not appropriate at all for detailed learning, but good to make sure you know where things are. They come in separate sections - i.e. thorax, neck etc. - so a lot more portable than carrying an entire atlas! And they usually have some explanation of things, like insertions/attachments, so slightly more useful than an atlas imo.

Really depends how you are taught. Do you still get large lectures where they effectively tell you what's going on, or are you just told, for example, that the stomach has this and this, and you are left to figure out what the pathology would be?

Flashcards are seriously so tempting, but I don't think I'll personally really gain a lot out of them so I think I'm gonna give them a miss. =/ But glad to know they're very helpful though. =D

I haven't started CBL learning it, but judging from what I've gathered and the current structure of the sessions, I've a hunch that they'll just teach us the basic sciences and leave the rest of the work to ourselves, so yeah, probably like the latter you've described. =S Sometimes it's been so frustrating 'cos you really don't know what you've gathered is right or wrong, wish I could just kidnap one of the lecturers and have them as my personal tutor...:ninja: :p:
Reply 8612
Kumar and Clark actually is really **** and the lack of organisation is making my definitely-a-touch-of-OCD brain hurt.

Title of 'degenerative neuronal diseases', subheading motor neurone disease. OK, fine. But I want to read about dementias. Hmm, no heading pops out, so I scan more. There, a subtitle of 'dementia' under MND? But it's in big font, so maybe it's another title just in a different style. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I want to read about DLB. This is found under the subheading of Alzheimer Disease, under the subheading aetiology of Alzheimer disease. How is DLB related at all to the aetiology of Alzheimer disease? Apparently all causes of dementia (vascular, frontotemporal, etc.) are part of the pathophys of AD. This makes my brain hurt.

:rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8613
I'm a first year, what physiology textbook would people recommend? I've heard a lot of people talking about Vanders?

Original post by Beska
Kumar and Clark actually is really **** and the lack of organisation is making my definitely-a-touch-of-OCD brain hurt.

Title of 'degenerative neuronal diseases', subheading motor neurone disease. OK, fine. But I want to read about dementias. Hmm, no heading pops out, so I scan more. There, a subtitle of 'dementia' under MND? But it's in big font, so maybe it's another title just in a different style. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. I want to read about DLB. This is found under the subheading of Alzheimer Disease, under the subheading aetiology of Alzheimer disease. How is DLB related at all to the aetiology of Alzheimer disease? Apparently all causes of dementia (vascular, frontotemporal, etc.) are part of the pathophys of AD. This makes my brain hurt.

:rolleyes:

mate, this is exactly what does my head in about kumar and clark. The organisation of topics makes no sense to me.

It's great for pathophys, but for a "clinical medicine" book, it's useless to me clinically - I pretty much used the OHCM exclusively in 3rd year.
Original post by fletchdd02
I'm a first year, what physiology textbook would people recommend? I've heard a lot of people talking about Vanders?

I have Vanders... It makes an excellent stand for my computer monitor. It's kind of overly complex otherwise.

Just go to the library and see what takes your fancy. The At A Glance books can be quite useful for the basics of each system.
Original post by Nimbus

Heey~! Thanks and I'm enjoying it so far :smile: I'm really enjoying the variety of things we're learning and doing (e.g. never thought I'd say this (as I'm kinda squeamish) but I really enjoy dissection!)

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I don't think I'll buy the flashcards. I've bought both the essential clinical anatomy and Gray's anatomy for students books, so I thought I'd try and learn the anatomy from there. =P We've got tonnes of the McMinn's atlases in the libraries so I'll just keep renewing I think, for now anyway. xD
Oh the flashcard program sounds great, I'll check it out thanks!

Glad you're enjoying it; where did you end up going in the end??

There's really no need for you to have two anatomy textbooks...did you bog them off cheap or something?

Yeah, definitely do give it a look. There are loads of flashcard programmes, but Anki is my favourite, and it's free for anyone who doesn't want to use it on mobile Apple products.
Cool little blogpost on how to use it here.

I haven't started CBL learning it, but judging from what I've gathered and the current structure of the sessions, I've a hunch that they'll just teach us the basic sciences and leave the rest of the work to ourselves, so yeah, probably like the latter you've described. =S Sometimes it's been so frustrating 'cos you really don't know what you've gathered is right or wrong, wish I could just kidnap one of the lecturers and have them as my personal tutor...:ninja: :p:

This is the part where you develop your critical appraisal skills. :wink:
You learn very quickly to know what sources of information you can trust, or to spot discrepancies in anything. Don't worry about it! You'll learn.

There's no universal best, unfortunately. Like Becca said, the best thing you can do is just try out the different ones you've got in your library and see what you like. Personally, I love Guyton and Hall's because the level of detail and the wordiness makes it easier for me to imagine what's actually going on. Other people hate it for that exact same reason (and because the diagrams suck!). Best you can do is pick whatever looks good and see how you like them! :smile:

Pocock and Richards for me.

This is the point where it's very useful to badger people in the year above you - you might be able to get some very good tips as to which books are best suited to your course/exams :biggrin:

(Medical Sciences by Naish et al is a great all round basic sciences textbook imho and a bit more easy going since Pocock can go a bit overboard sometimes...worth looking at imho)
3 Hours of Carbohydrates today :colonhash:

Spoiler

I'm a Berne and Levy fan.

Latest

Trending

Trending