The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
Does anyone on here watch the youtubers DaveyWaveey or Tyler Oakley?

I do. I also went with friends to met them in Sydney in September. :tongue:
Original post by ForgetMe
The Perks of Being a Wallflower :sexface:

that's like one of my favourite films ever

cried so hard at the ending :cry2:
Reply 8622
The question is - Why did the chicken cross the road?
Reply 8623
Original post by wengeo
The question is - Why did the chicken cross the road?

Did you know that this joke is actually about how people who commit suicide were thought to be cowards. So the chicken crossing the road is a person trying to kill themselves by walking into traffic. And 'to get to the other side' is about them trying to reach the afterlife.

*mind blown*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8624
Original post by Sawwah
Did you know that this joke is actually about how people who commit suicide were thought to be cowards. So the chicken crossing the road is a person trying to kill themselves by walking into traffic. And 'to get to the other side' is about them trying to reach the afterlife.

*mind blown*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, that is true. But after all, I think that the joke is mainly ironical.

Nowadays, most people are trying to come with some kind of complex answear. Thats why the simplicity of "Because it want to get to the other side" seem kinda ironic and lovely to me.
Reply 8625
Original post by wengeo

Nowadays, most people are trying to come with some kind of complex answear. Thats why the simplicity of "Because it want to get to the other side" seem kinda ironic and lovely to me.

I completely agree :-)

I just like that sort of stuff, finding out the odd origins of seemingly normal stuff. Like the 'ring a ring a Rosie' song about the plague.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good 'chicken cross the road' joke :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dad bought me some salmon steaks and I had no idea what to do with them. After about 20-25 minutes I managed to improvise something really tasty!
Reply 8627
So mother can't have respite care or move to a bungalow because she won't agree to it. Social worker has said we need space, so I might just find a cheap furnished flat and move out for a few months :frown:
Watching a movie and cannot keep my eyes off this main actor :love: The whole movie is nice :coma:

Haha, I get this so often :^_^:
Original post by Crisps
So mother can't have respite care or move to a bungalow because she won't agree to it. Social worker has said we need space, so I might just find a cheap furnished flat and move out for a few months :frown:

Oh no :hugs: does she not want to leave due to her leaving from a familiar environment? So sorry it's so hard :hugs:
Original post by Sawwah

*mind blown*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by wengeo

Actually, that interpretation is most likely not the original but an afterthought.

One of the the earliest recordings of the joke phrases it quite clearly as it's most commonly accepted purpose: an anti-joke, or nonsensical humour. It's unlikely that in 1847 (the time of the earliest recording of the joke) that walking into traffic was a particularly common method of suicide.

Original post by fretter778
Dad bought me some salmon steaks and I had no idea what to do with them. After about 20-25 minutes I managed to improvise something really tasty!

Best thing (imho) to do with salmon steak is keep it simple. A little olive oil, some sea salt and pepper, some garlic and a squeeze of lemon. Grill or BBQ. Delicious <3 Alternatively, teriyaki is an excellent classic.
Original post by Revd. Mike

Best thing (imho) to do with salmon steak is keep it simple. A little olive oil, some sea salt and pepper, some garlic and a squeeze of lemon. Grill or BBQ. Delicious <3 Alternatively, teriyaki is an excellent classic.

That's more or less what I did! I added some butter and a few chilli flakes to the sauce for a bit of extra flavour and it worked really well!
Original post by Sawwah

*mind blown*

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek:
At work, on evening male locker room can often be so hot :fan:
I hate incompetent people. :colonhash:
Original post by incipientT
I have :tongue:

I haven't noticed many perks :sad:

And? :rolleyes: Did you find those videos hilarious? :teehee:
And? :rolleyes: Did you find those videos hilarious? :teehee:

I can't remember :lol: Too long ago :tongue:
Reply 8637
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
:eek:

Actually according to Wikipedia I'm wrong :-( but it's still a cool idea :-)

*puts your mind back together*
Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sawwah
Actually according to Wikipedia I'm wrong :-( but it's still a cool idea :-)

*puts your mind back together*
Sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I'm going to go around telling people it's a fact anyway :smile:
Reply 8639
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
Well, I'm going to go around telling people it's a fact anyway :smile:

It sounds good enough that it really should be to be honest :-)

:mmhhmm: sounds like a plan (and if that wasn't the nodding smiley I apologise, I'm on my ipad so I can only guess at the emoticons)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest