The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3920
Original post by Choo.choo
Honestly, are you serious? How are they thieving robbers? How do you think?
I am sorry, but that is a really silly question to ask.
Thatcher stole the money from the oil and gas to close industries in Scotland.
It is spent, spent and spent some more, but do we have anything to show for the money they spent? Eh, not really. I would vote to stay in the Union if they did not fritter the money.

Not just in Scotland! Across the whole of the UK! That woman should have been done for treason.
Original post by Tigers
Nazis,crazy,unstable.It seems you don't want to do anything for your nation.A common position but don't claim at the same time you care about your nation.At least people with this opinion admit they really don't care about their nation

I do care about Scotland. That's why I don't want it to go down the path of self destruction the SNP are advocating. You may want to read Good blokes earlier post highlighting the many flaws in your argument.
Original post by wrangled
Not just in Scotland! Across the whole of the UK! That woman should have been done for treason.

Which woman? Thatcher? If you're talking about Thatcher you may be interested to discover that more Scots voted for her than Salmond.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Which woman? Thatcher? If you're talking about Thatcher you may be interested to discover that more Scots voted for her than Salmond.

Did they really? It was Margaret Thatcher who destroyed the Tory Government in Scotland.
Excellent, classic post. Love it.
Will you jump on my bandwagon? I need another pro-independence member.

I think he may be talking about the SNP lying. Remember the legal advice that they said they had on Europe, that they didn't. Remember the claim that we'd be the Saudi Arabia of Renewables that has been proven to be not the case. Remember the claim that we'd have a second oil boom that has been found out to be the case. Remember the claim that we'd have automatic entry into NATO that has been found out to incorrect.
Interesting article on the future of the Scottish currency, in the event of independence:
http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/referendum/5230-currency-wars
Interesting article on the future of the Scottish currency, in the event of independence:

That seems to be a talking shop for pro-independence idiots who think the UK will benefit from acting as the last resort for any failure in Scottish banks. They must be dreaming!
I've just learned that Scottish exports to the UK are about £36 billion, while those to the rest of the EU are £9.2 billion and those to the rest of the world are £10.3 billion.

This would be an economy rather heavily dependent on a single foreign market, wouldn't it? The UK market would be worth almost two-thirds of all its foreign exports. That demonstrates rather a high level of economic integration with and dependence on the UK.

http://www.policyforumscotland.com/include/publications/Whitecurrency08.pdf
Reply 3928
Original post by Good bloke
I've just learned that Scottish exports to the UK are about £36 billion, while those to the rest of the EU are £9.2 billion and those to the rest of the world are £10.3 billion.

This would be an economy rather heavily dependent on a single foreign market, wouldn't it? The UK market would be worth almost two-thirds of all its foreign exports. That demonstrates rather a high level of economic integration with and dependence on the UK.

http://www.policyforumscotland.com/include/publications/Whitecurrency08.pdf

Canada exports more to the USA than Scotland does to the UK. Scotlands high level of export dependence on the UK which is about 70% of Scotland exports also parallels Canada which sends 80% of its exports to the US. The USA's population is also 10 times larger than Canada. Like Scotland and the UK.Why doesn't Canada feel the need to form a political union with the USA and send all its taxes and resources to the US government to increase its strength and have more influence in the world stage?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kj91
Canada exports more to the USA than Scotland does to the UK. Scotlands high level of export dependence on the UK which is about 70% of Scotland exports also parallels Canada which sends 80% of its exports to the US. The USA's population is also 10 times larger than Canada. Like Scotland and the UK.Why doesn't Canada feel the need to form a political union with the USA and send all its taxes and resources to the US government to increase its strength and have more influence in the world stage?

Another good counter argument.
Did they really? It was Margaret Thatcher who destroyed the Tory Government in Scotland.

We may see the same with the SnP.
Original post by Kj91

probably because Canada and America have fought wars over ideological differences over the past. You may also want to read up on NAFTA. Not too dissimilar to the EU.

Although talking of Canada, why has nobody mentioned Quebec.

theres a difference between arguing why two separate countries don't have a political union and one that is in a political union.
(edited 10 years ago)
More people voted against them than for them. They got 45.5% of the constituency vote ( 54.5% voted against them) and 44% of the list vote ( 56% voted non SNP)

Original post by Maths Tutor
In the 2011 Scottish election, the SNP got 8.8% more seats in parliament than their share of the vote.

In the 2010 UK election, in Scotland, Labour got 25.7% more seats in parliament than their share of the vote.

If we were using the Westminster 'first past the post' system in Scotland, the SNP's 46% share of the constituency vote would have given it 73% of the seats in parliament.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-home-of-democracy/

(This is a pro Independence website biased towards independence - but it does not publish lies. If you find any lie in the article quoted, point it out.)

In the UK Westminster parliament, which is elected solely on the constituency vote, the Tories got 35% of the constituency vote (65% voted against them).

Don't mention the Liberal Democrats, their MPs got elected on false pretences like no tuition fees and a referendum on Proportional Representation, NOT the AV referendum we got which Clegg himself described as a "miserable little compromise."

What we have is effectively a Tory government with 35% of the vote.

Tell us MatureStudent36, is the Westminster parliament, whose rule over Scotland you support, more representative than the Scottish parliament?

I personally would prefer a system where 46% of the vote gave exactly 46% of the seats in parliament.

But to me, a 46% SNP government is much more representative than a 35% Tory government.

A lot of the information in your post is not relevant in this thread.
Post a request in the 'ask a moderator' forum, and they will point you to the right thread for your debate.

If you had read my post carefully, you would have noticed that I was RESPONDING to a post made by MatureStudent36:

"More people voted against them than for them."
I would like to remind everyone that this thread is about independence for Scotland, and if it is a good or a bad thing for Scotland; it is not about the amount of votes gained by the SNP in the last election.

Could you care to write to Johann Lamont to remind her that:

it is not "Alex Salmond's referendum"

Could you also ask 'Better Together' why they are demanding the SNP's position on every aspect of independence.

Didn't you know that Scottish Independence, the SNP and Alex Salmond mean one and the same thing to 'Better Together' 'UK OK'?

The point about the amount of votes gained by the SNP in the last election was raised by MatureStudent36, not by me, so if you have any problem with it refer it to him/her, not to me.
I do care about Scotland. That's why I don't want it to go down the path of self destruction the SNP are advocating. You may want to read Good blokes earlier post highlighting the many flaws in your argument.

The ONLY thing the likes of yourself care about is your own self interest.

The ONLY argument the likes of yourself have is 'We are better together'.

And the 'We' certainly does not refer to the vast majority of the people of Scotland.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10214954/Labour-for-Independence-a-Scottish-Nationalist-front.html

The Telegraph is an anti-Independence newspaper biased against independence.

Are you saying that ALL Labour party members and voters are against independence, I mean separation?

Readers can decide for themselves if the following 'Labour for Independence' members are SNP front people:

Kevin Mulholland, LFI member and Labour Party member

Deborah Waters, LFI member and Labour Party member

Scott Abel, LFI member and Labour Party member

Celia Fitzgerald, LFI Treasurer and Labour Party member

Paul Patterson, LFI member and Labour Party member

Paul Leinster, LFI member and Labour Party member

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-dangerously-radical-idea/

(This is a pro Independence website biased towards independence - but it does not publish lies. If you find any lie in the article quoted, point it out.)

News net Scotland is financed by the YeSnP campaign. That what Salmond would like, not what he can get. You don't just get to pick and choose which currency you use and then get a third party to back you.
Original post by Maths Tutor
The Telegraph is an anti-Independence newspaper biased against independence.

Are you saying that ALL Labour party members and voters are against independence, I mean separation?

Readers can decide for themselves if the following 'Labour for Independence' members are SNP front people:

Kevin Mulholland, LFI member and Labour Party member

Deborah Waters, LFI member and Labour Party member

Scott Abel, LFI member and Labour Party member

Celia Fitzgerald, LFI Treasurer and Labour Party member

Paul Patterson, LFI member and Labour Party member

Paul Leinster, LFI member and Labour Party member

http://wingsoverscotland.com/a-dangerously-radical-idea/

I'M saying more people who voted for the SNP are against separation that labour supporters. Remember that there's only 30ish % support.

The I'm was made that Labour Party MSPs were supporting it, which is untrue. I'm not bothers about a hhandful of small fry. Labour has some ex BNP supporters in it.

I don't doubt for one minute that there are some labour supporters that will vote yes, as there will be some conservatives and lib dems. But when a party that hit 50% of the seats in the Scottish election can only muster 30 to 35% support for its core aim. The question is why are so many SNP supporters not supporting the YeSNP campaign.
I don't doubt for one minute that there are some labour supporters that will vote yes, as there will be some conservatives and lib dems. But when a party that hit 50% of the seats in the Scottish election can only muster 30 to 35% support for its core aim. The question is why are so many SNP supporters not supporting the YeSNP campaign.
But you're contradicting yourself. 30-35% support from the SNP's voters would amount to 15% of the electorate who voted in 2011 being in favour of independence. Most polls at the moment show the Yes vote anywhere between 25-45%, meaning that 40-66% of people planning to vote Yes are not affiliated with the SNP. If that's true you can hardly brush off the Yes Campaign as being merely the work of the 'YeSNP'

Latest

Trending

Trending