The Student Room Group

Getting a dog at uni?

I'm in my second year at uni and I've been desperate for a dog for years. I've fallen in love with a 2 and a half year old poodle who needs rehoming. The only problem is that for 6 months of each year for the next couple of years (during my termtime) he would have to live with some close friends and I wouldn't see him very often during those periods, because no pets are allowed in my room at uni. I'm also aware that I would probably end up spending about £1300 over a year on his upkeep (excluding vets' bills for routine illnesses not covered by pet insurance). I'm going to be working and earning £5000 over summer so I know I can afford it. However, in the worst case scenario (if I ended up racking up a vets' bill of £300+ for illnesses not covered by pet insurance), I know I would struggle.

When I would be able to look after him I would be at home or out on walks for most of the day, so he'd get plenty of attention. I don't go out clubbing much. My parents think it's a stupid idea and say they won't take responsibility for his upkeep, although if push came to shove and he had nowhere else to go I am pretty certain they wouldn't turn him away. I know that dogs are generally very good for health and stress levels, and if he didn't live with me during term time I wouldn't have to worry about his day-to-day upkeep when I was in the middle of work.

I have a trusted friend who is absolutely lovely and who has said straight out that next year after he graduates he would be more than happy to look for a dog for me for half a year. After I graduate in June 2015 I'd be able to look after him full time. It's unlikely that my landlord would agree to a pet poodle, and one of my housemates is staunchly against the possibility anyway. I have two animal loving friends who already have a menagerie of small animals and experience with dogs; they are considering taking him in for the rest of this academic year during term times. Ultimately though, I don't want to do anything that will endanger his wellbeing.

I know a lot of people here will probably say "Why not just wait until after graduation?" That's a very sensible question, and I guess the three main reasons why I don't want to are:

-I've fallen in love with this particular poodle

-Although I wouldn't see him for half of the year, when I was around him my student lifestyle means I'd be able to give him the attention he needs - if I got a dog when I was working full time I would be leaving him for much longer periods of time, which I don't think is a good idea for a new dog

-I'm finding uni quite stressful and I often get lonely, especially in the holidays, and I know dogs make great companions and can be a good source of stress relief (although funding one would obviously come with its own level of stress)

I guess the main question is this: providing there is always someone responsible to look after him, would it be an okay idea to get a dog? Does anyone actually have any experience with this kind of thing?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by la-dauphine
I've fallen in love with a 2 and a half year old poodle who needs rehoming. The only problem is that for 6 months of each year for the next couple of years (during my termtime) he would have to live with some close friends and I wouldn't see him very often during those periods, because no pets are allowed in my room at uni.

Poodles are clever dogs, and require lots of stimulation and attention. They also form close bonds with their owners and hence it would be incredibly unfair on him to keep shifting homes and owners.

And what if your friends pull out? What if they change their mind? After all, it is not their dog and they can say no at any time. What if this poodle suffers from separation anxiety and/or destroys your friends house - they may refuse to take him again and may expect you to foot the bill. Even well behaved dogs can, on occasion, cause damage either to a house or items (e.g. my dog has chewed through quite a few shoes when we go out, our previous dog scratched the wall paper when jumping at the door and he would get excited for his family coming home). I've known other rescue dogs to cause even more damage - and which required professional behavioural treatment as they did not want to return the dog to the rescue centre (but if I was your friend I would simply return the dog to you if it was destroying my house)

I'm also aware that I would probably end up spending about £1300 over a year on his upkeep (excluding vets' bills for routine illnesses not covered by pet insurance). I'm going to be working and earning £5000 over summer so I know I can afford it. However, in the worst case scenario (if I ended up racking up a vets' bill of £300+ for illnesses not covered by pet insurance), I know I would struggle.

Sometimes people have to rehome their dogs or euthanise them if they cannot afford treatment. It is easy to say that the 'worst case scenario' might not happen, but what if it does? Depending what insurance policy you take out, it may only cover conditions for up to 12months rather than life time, and will have a limit per condition. I've had a friend who maxed out their £5000 insurance to save their dog's legs after she was involved in an accident, and had to pay another £1000 from their own pocket. Other conditions require ongoing medication for the rest of the dogs life, and chronic conditions are quite common; this can soon add up. I would feel incredibly guilty if I had to euthanasia my own dog due to lack of money, but this does happen and as a vet student I have seen this more than once (even if surgery/treatment would have given a complete cure).

And what about grooming? It's really difficult to do on your own but poodles require a lot of car for their fur which gets easily matted if not cared for. It cost around £30-£40 for a poodle cut depending on it's size. You could probably get away with getting it cut every 8 weeks, but any longer than that and your poodle might get painful matts.

When I would be able to look after him I would be at home or out on walks for most of the day, so he'd get plenty of attention. I don't go out clubbing much. My parents think it's a stupid idea and say they won't take responsibility for his upkeep, although if push came to shove and he had nowhere else to go I am pretty certain they wouldn't turn him away. I know that dogs are generally very good for health and stress levels, and if he didn't live with me during term time I wouldn't have to worry about his day-to-day upkeep when I was in the middle of work.

People work full time and, even if they are tired, have to walk their dogs and take care of them; they can't stop looking after their dog just because they are 'busy'.

Your parents have stated they won't take responsibility for him. If that is the case, he may well end up going back to a re homing centre.

I have a trusted friend who is absolutely lovely and who has said straight out that next year after he graduates he would be more than happy to look for a dog for me for half a year. After I graduate in June 2015 I'd be able to look after him full time.

Your friend might change her mind - what will you do then? As I said before, it is unfair for a dog to keep changing homes.

It's unlikely that my landlord would agree to a pet poodle, and one of my housemates is staunchly against the possibility anyway. I have two animal loving friends who already have a menagerie of small animals and experience with dogs; they are considering taking him in for the rest of this academic year during term times. Ultimately though, I don't want to do anything that will endanger his wellbeing.

You are endangering this poodles well being. Because:

1) You are relying on other people to look after your dog who may change their minds at any time. If you cannot look after a dog full time, then you shouldn't get one.

2) You do not have sufficient funds if something goes wrong. You are replying on a part time job, which may not be a stable job.

3) Changing homes and owners all the time can be traumatic for a dog. Imagine if you, as a child, were taken away from your family to live in a new place you have never been to with complete strangers for 6 months of the year. A dog is like a child in that it need consistency if it is to remain trained and well behaved. Dogs without consistency become destructive.

4) When you leave uni, what if you need to rent to move closer to your job - what if your new landlord doesn't allow dogs?

I can guarantee you that there are lots of other dogs out there who you could equally fall in love with in future.

-Although I wouldn't see him for half of the year, when I was around him my student lifestyle means I'd be able to give him the attention he needs - if I got a dog when I was working full time I would be leaving him for much longer periods of time, which I don't think is a good idea for a new dog

Being left for long periods of time is not a good idea for neither a new or old dog. Dogs can live for up to 15 years. If you don't feel you can give him enough attention when you are working in future, don't get a dog.

Poodles are extremely intelligent and need lots of attention.

-I'm finding uni quite stressful and I often get lonely, especially in the holidays, and I know dogs make great companions and can be a good source of stress relief (although funding one would obviously come with its own level of stress)

WHat about volunteering at a boarding kennels? What about getting a hamster/gerbil/rat who can be loving pets too but need less work than dogs are do not live 15 years.

Someone can provide this rescue poodle with full time care in a loving home. Unfortunately you can only take care of the dog part time, with no guarantees that your friends would look after it, which is unethical for the dog. Leaving a dog after it has become used to you can break their heart and be damaging to them psychologically. They are not just a friend - they are dependent on your like a child it to its parents. They don't understand why you cannot see it for 6 months of the year. Dogs are a full time commitment.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm in my second year at uni and I've been desperate for a dog for years. I've fallen in love with a 2 and a half year old poodle who needs rehoming. The only problem is that for 6 months of each year for the next couple of years (during my termtime) he would have to live with some close friends and I wouldn't see him very often during those periods, because no pets are allowed in my room at uni. I'm also aware that I would probably end up spending about £1300 over a year on his upkeep (excluding vets' bills for routine illnesses not covered by pet insurance). I'm going to be working and earning £5000 over summer so I know I can afford it. However, in the worst case scenario (if I ended up racking up a vets' bill of £300+ for illnesses not covered by pet insurance), I know I would struggle.

I have a trusted friend who is absolutely lovely and who has said straight out that next year after he graduates he would be more than happy to look for a dog for me for half a year. After I graduate in June 2015 I'd be able to look after him full time. It's unlikely that my landlord would agree to a pet poodle, and one of my housemates is staunchly against the possibility anyway. I have two animal loving friends who already have a menagerie of small animals and experience with dogs; they are considering taking him in for the rest of this academic year during term times. Ultimately though, I don't want to do anything that will endanger his wellbeing.

I know a lot of people here will probably say "Why not just wait until after graduation?" That's a very sensible question, and I guess the three main reasons why I don't want to are:

I guess the main question is this: providing there is always someone responsible to look after him, would it be an okay idea to get a dog? Does anyone actually have any experience with this kind of thing?

I know you say your friends and lovely and responsible and everything but I would not get a dog and rely on other people to take it into their homes. Their circumstances could change at any moment: he might get a girlfriend who doesn't like dogs, he might have to move for a job, anything could happen. And then you'll be left with a dog that you're massively attached to and will probably have to put it back in a rehoming centre.

I feel for you, I'm in second year now and would love my own dog. But it's just not practical. When you get a dog you need to be able to commit to it 12 months out of the year, not just 6 months.
Reply 3
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Poodles are clever dogs, and require lots of stimulation and attention. They also form close bonds with their owners and hence it would be incredibly unfair on him to keep shifting homes and owners.

And what if your friends pull out? What if they change their mind? After all, it is not their dog and they can say no at any time.

I've spoken to my parents and they're okay about looking after him if they have to during term time which means I don't have to rely on friends. That's changed things quite a bit from my viewpoint and I know that he wouldn't go homeless.

Sometimes people have to rehome their dogs or euthanise them if they cannot afford treatment. It is easy to say that the 'worst case scenario' might not happen, but what if it does? Depending what insurance policy you take out, it may only cover conditions for up to 12months rather than life time, and will have a limit per condition. I've had a friend who maxed out their £5000 insurance to save their dog's legs after she was involved in an accident, and had to pay another £1000 from their own pocket.

Surely this is something which any dog owner could find difficult though? You could be on £30k per year but after tax, rent, bills and food you'd still struggle to pay £6k, but far fewer people would question someone on £30k per year getting a dog than a student.

And what about grooming? It's really difficult to do on your own but poodles require a lot of car for their fur which gets easily matted if not cared for. It cost around £30-£40 for a poodle cut depending on it's size. You could probably get away with getting it cut every 8 weeks, but any longer than that and your poodle might get painful matts.

I factored grooming into the estimated annual cost which comes out at £1200 for food, booster vaccinations, de-fleaing/de-worming, grooming, and clothes/accessories.

People work full time and, even if they are tired, have to walk their dogs and take care of them; they can't stop looking after their dog just because they are 'busy'.

I know that? When did I say that I would stop looking after him if I was busy?

2) You do not have sufficient funds if something goes wrong. You are replying on a part time job, which may not be a stable job.

I don't have a part time job, I just have lots of uni bursaries, and I'm completing a 10 week internship over summer which I'll get £5k out of (and free accommodation) so I know that the funds are there.

When you leave uni, what if you need to rent to move closer to your job - what if your new landlord doesn't allow dogs?

I would obviously never move to a house that doesn't allow dogs and I would explicitly say to the landlord when enquiring about a property that I have a dog - if necessary I would bring him to meet them, offer to pay a larger deposit, and factor in carpet cleaning costs into my end of the tenancy agreement. The majority of people own a pet so landlords are having to be a bit more conscientious about who they say yes and no to.

Being left for long periods of time is not a good idea for neither a new or old dog. Dogs can live for up to 15 years. If you don't feel you can give him enough attention when you are working in future, don't get a dog. Poodles are extremely intelligent and need lots of attention.

To suggest that it's impossible to have a dog if you work full time is a little unfair though. There are dog walkers and dog daycare centres specifically for that reason. It's like leaving your child with a childminder or a nanny.
Reply 4
Also, on the small animals side: I've had hamsters and gerbils before and I just don't get the same level of emotional fulfilment from them. I'm looking for a lifelong companion.
What will happen when you graduate and get a full time job? It's not really fair to leave it alone all day then.
Reply 6
As I said before, there are trusted, reliable dog walkers and dog daycare centres specifically for that reason. It's like leaving your child with a childminder or a nanny.
Reply 7
Ultimately it's unfair on a dog. There are certain breeds (although this is still a sweeping generalisation of the breed) that can put up with what your intending - a poodle is not one of them. Poodles tend to be 'velcro dogs' as well so it won't do well constantly going between different groups of people.
Reply 8
I've just made it clear that my parents have agreed to looking after a poodle so he would live at my family home 100% of the time. That's not exactly swapping him between different groups of people.
Reply 9
I've just made it clear that my parents have agreed to looking after a poodle so he would live at my family home 100% of the time. That's not exactly swapping him between different groups of people.

Fair enough. It'd be fine provided your parents are willing to put in the work and attention a poodle needs for the half a year you're not there.
Reply 10
I personally think students lives aren't stable enough to get a dog. You don't know what kind of situation you'll be in post graduation, you could struggle finding a job and so have financial problems, there are issues with landlords allowing pets. If you get a full time job the dog may have to be alone all day (I know you said that there are doggy day cares etc but these can be really expensive).

Also would you really want to only have him for half of the year? My family have 2 dogs and when I'm at uni I miss them so much it's horrible. Plus it sounds horrible to say but seeing as he would be living in the family home all the time chances are he will develop a closer bond with your parents than you.

I do sympathise with you, but as much as you've fallen in love with this dog you need to remember someone else will rehome him and they might be a better option. I'd really recommend not getting a dog until you've graduated and are in a more stable position. In the meantime check out the Cinnamon Trust, it's a fantastic charity that helps elderly people in caring for their pets and they're always looking for dog walkers.
White people be crazy...
For Gods sake, don't you have enough student debt???
Reply 12
You don't seem to be listening to what other people suggest because you have your mind set on getting the dog.

If it's going to be at your parents house 100% of the time, then it will create a closer bond with them than you, and ultimately this won't be fair on the dog when you move out after university as you will be uprooting it from its stable environment.

I can assure you that dog food/injections/accessories AND grooming could end up well over £1200 a year.

If you really have thought about this is completely feel you are doing the right thing, then do it. I just think you're acting very impulsively and maybe it would be fairer for you and your dog if you waited a few years before making such a large decision.
I've spoken to my parents and they're okay about looking after him if they have to during term time which means I don't have to rely on friends. That's changed things quite a bit from my viewpoint and I know that he wouldn't go homeless.

As others have said, if it is living with your parents full time, it will form a closer bond with them. We used to have a dog who preferred mum over me because she spent more time with it, and would not leave her side. I loved him dearly, but he would hardly ever sit on my lap if both me and mum were both sat down. Are you OK with this happening to your own dog?

Surely this is something which any dog owner could find difficult though? You could be on £30k per year but after tax, rent, bills and food you'd still struggle to pay £6k, but far fewer people would question someone on £30k per year getting a dog than a student.

The amount you earn as a student is not £30k, however. After you finish uni, if you can't find a job, you will struggle to keep a dog on JSA. Of course if your parents are willing to chip in then this is less of a problem assume they have a stable income. I would personally recommend lifetime pet insurance with the maximum cover to make sure you are not out of pocket ( we pay around £25/month for lifetime cover up to £9k, but this will depend on the dogs breed & age & company).

The majority of people own a pet so landlords are having to be a bit more conscientious about who they say yes and no to.

No they don't have to by any means. I know some landlords who have allowed pets in the past, and who have meant whole carpets have had to been replaced - they said never again would they allow pets.

To suggest that it's impossible to have a dog if you work full time is a little unfair though. There are dog walkers and dog daycare centres specifically for that reason. It's like leaving your child with a childminder or a nanny.

It's not unfair - some dogs with certain histories need someone around most of the time. You will find a lot of rescues who will not rehome dogs to families who work full time. My mum works full time, but can walk our dog at lunch time. However, we specifically got and older dog (5 years), and a breed that was not as much of a velcro dog as a poodle (we got a greyhound). Poodles require lots of attention/affection and are very much people dogs, some of them might be prone to separation anxiety as a result. For dogs that do suffer from this, they will be under intense stress every time you leave and this is a difficult problem to deal with. I've known some dogs who have suffered so badly when being left alone they have destroyed houses due to their own frustration. We are not talking about cleaning costs of carpets, we can be talking £1000s worth of damage due to doors being chewed through, walls scratched etc. . Other dogs are noisy (howling) and if your neighbours complain you be forced to return the dog.

Dog walkers fulfil the need of toileting, but aren't a substitute for their owners looking after them and may not fulfil the dogs emotional needs. They can work for some dogs but not others.

As for day care centres, I've seen some cost around £25/day for some good ones = £6500/year. Other I've seen that are cheaper, but consist of putting your dog outside in a concrete cage with multiple other dogs (only suitable for socialised dogs), and no interaction with people nor walks, and which required picking up before 5.30pm (not suitable for those who work other than 9-5 or work outside the local area).

You situation as a student is unstable. You are far better off waiting a few years, graduating, and getting a dog. However, if you parents are willing to take on a rescue dog as a family pet and you all assume joint responsibility and have researched whether this is the right dog for you, then sure, it might work out well.
Reply 14
I don't see the point in getting a dog if you're going to pay someone else to walk it. Surely going for walks is one of the key reasons people get dogs? Playing with them in the park is one of the main interactions you can have with a dog. I wouldn't get a dog because I don't have the time to invest in one, our house is too small for one too. While I've seen dogs that I'd love to have it would be incredibly unfair to get one purely because I wanted one.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Such an old post but can confirm it can be done. I was fresh into my second year and moved in to a student flat with my partner, one month in we adopted a 13 month old lurcher from dogs trust. When we are at home during summer she lives with his parents and other dog, she seems to love it as if it's vacation. She's high drive and takes a lot of time and training which isn't ideal when you have a lot of work to do, but I wouldn't go back. My only advice would be to have a solid plan if something goes wrong, e.g. both my partner and I have parents with other dogs that are always willing to take her if we go away etc and she's happy with that. Since then we have fostered 2 more dogs, which has been great and very rewarding, but equally challenging. If you have the mind set for it then do it, but know that it's a commitment for the rest of the dogs life.
Honestly , I got a 4 month old pug while I was at uni and it was the best / worst decision I ever made. Best decision is because when i was lonely I could take him out sit with him etc but worst because he takes a lot of looking after. He was basically running around my flat peeing and pooing contantly until he was toilet trained. He also follows me all over which put me off doing work as he was walking over it and everything😂just make sure you get a dog and not a puppy 😂

Quick Reply

Latest