The Student Room Group

Can a builder be an architect ?

Hi There .

i am a 35 year old builder and would love to become an architect !
i have run my own construction company for 12 years now and we are reasonably successfull .
i have always had a flair for design and this is my real passion . i am constantly producing simple drawings for some of my own development projects on google sketch up and before this by hand .
i have a good knowledge of most building practices and a good understanding of the principles of structural engineering .

What are my chances of being accepted by a school

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Personally I would take Richard Branson’s advice and do a course in interior design I think you will It will give you similar skills or interior architecture. Architecture It is one of the longest and most expensive and lowest pay at the end. If you are a builder you skills are highly valuable call you self an architectural designer you may find your self getting more work than with the name architect.
Reply 2
Have you thought about enrolling in university? If it would be your first degree, you are eligible for funding!

If university and heavy studies aren't your style, as DAC123 said you could take a course in interior design and work your way up that way?

I think your chances are as good as any to be honest. Yes, a lot depends on school grades but with mature students I think they look for that spark and you certainly have that! UCAS applications might still be open, get registered on there at least and start looking at what's available to you!

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Hi.

Not sure what you expect to get out of the course would be my question. It is likely you know more about how to build than most of the tutors.

If you are thinking of going to uni as you think you will be taught how to design - you won't. Design is pretty much all self taught. If you want to get into designing more my advice would be to carve two days a week or so out of your workload and just start looking at things like detail magazine, sketching, learning software. That way you keep your successful business going whilst augmenting your skills. Or look at one of the distance courses.

As others have said, its a long slog and the pay at the end is rubbish. It would be a shame to jeopardize your business when you ultimately just need time and good inspiration to improve your design skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jrhartley's comment is hardly a fair one, or perhaps it is for his own experiences. No one can teach you how to design. You are guided, and the smallest guides you are given help you to understand why you might be doing something; designing can't be taught from a book. At my school we have many private conversations or 'crits' every week in order to determine the direction we are taking and of course to ensure that we aren't doing anything terribly wrong. Architecture is a complex profession and there is a lot to learn but you seem to have a strong skill set that will really stand to you. These are skills I would love to possess but unfortunately school doesn't have the appropriate facilities to do so. Well actually we do but they don't use the,.. that's beside the point.

As a mature student it's very important you choose the right school. Don't rush into it. Since you're 35 and possess the skills you do, you will have a very particular way of thinking or what schools often refer to as a 'school of thought'. The worst thing would be to go to a school that didn't allow you to practice the way you would like to or what you believe in. Your chances are as good as anyones - as long as you first demonstrate that you have passion And secondly the ability. I definitely wouldn't show the panel interviewing you in a university any construction drawings, and I'd keep the sketchup models to a minimum. Schools are looking fro students who have good observational skills. If you really want to do this it might be worth your while taking some time out and doing a portfolio course, or if you think you can do it without the help then do - they're looking for obsessive observation. So say you draw an avocado - try and find different ways of representing its texture, draw it many times in many different ways. Find ways of reproducing paintings or beautiful drawings.

This is my advice from Ireland - our 5 schools here are not dissimilar - there maybe universities in the UK who enjoy sketchup models etc. However I would only use them to demonstrate your interest in design and not look what I made isn't it beautiful. Sketch up models usually aren't and we've been told it annoys them. However you're definitely what they'd call an 'interesting candidate' so your chances maybe better than anyone elses. Good luck.
Reply 5
Hi guys . Thanks very much for your responses .
ultimately i would like to work in the domestic extension / new build market and be producing drawings and designs to be proud of .
i already work with a couple of guys which promote themselvs as " architectural services " which do just this , but they are Not architects and is quite clear to me that they are not . the drawings that im given regularly to work with could be drawn by a child .
i dont want to still be running a construction company and working on the tools in my 50s ,
and i dont really want to be one of these architect impersonators doing rubbish work .
i feel that without the credibility of a degree this is what i would end up .
with regard to being taught design , i dont feel that this would be an Achilles heel for me i love design and actually have a kitchen design business aswell , i produce 3d cad drawings and full specifications for the kitchens already . i feel that i would like to push this further .
i know a degree would be pretty intense to do , but i don't know how intense ?
would i cope as a part time student still running a business ?
Reply 6
Thanks paper architect this is very helpful , i,m pretty aware that my sketchup models are not the best entry method : -)
but your tips regarding the observations are a good insight .
Reply 7
Original post by bradshaw04
Hi guys . Thanks very much for your responses .
ultimately i would like to work in the domestic extension / new build market and be producing drawings and designs to be proud of .
i already work with a couple of guys which promote themselvs as " architectural services " which do just this , but they are Not architects and is quite clear to me that they are not . the drawings that im given regularly to work with could be drawn by a child .
i dont want to still be running a construction company and working on the tools in my 50s ,
and i dont really want to be one of these architect impersonators doing rubbish work .
i feel that without the credibility of a degree this is what i would end up .
with regard to being taught design , i dont feel that this would be an Achilles heel for me i love design and actually have a kitchen design business aswell , i produce 3d cad drawings and full specifications for the kitchens already . i feel that i would like to push this further .
i know a degree would be pretty intense to do , but i don't know how intense ?
would i cope as a part time student still running a business ?

Only you can decide that. Uni is a lot of work and architecture is, as I understand it, one of the most intense. It will take a lot of planning to keep everything in your life balanced (maybe get a partner/kids involved in the planning?) but if it's something you really want to do, I firmly believe you will make the time.
Reply 8
Original post by PaperArchitect
designing can't be taught from a book.

And I never said it could be. I said it was self-taught. Learning design at architecture school is probably the most-long winded way of learning to design. And its still self-taught. Huge number of pie in the sky projects, whereas the OP has made it clear the sort of work that he is interested in doing when he's 50. Surely the intelligent approach would be for him to spend the time identifying which designers work he likes, figure out himself what he likes about their work, and then go into detail studying that work - by visiting it, sketching it, by looking at details. You are right, there are crits at uni, but by god - such limited contact time out of your week he would be better off paying a qualified architect for 2 hours a week to sit down with him and go through his work.

I cannot stress enough how hard it will be for the OP to keep his business going if engaged in a traditional archtiecture course - even part time. There are plenty of people who work full time in my office who are trying to do Part 1 and Part 2 part time and it is a killer - and that's with them doing an architctectural job during the day. Even Part 3 is a right chore and that's not doing design, so theoretically should be less onerous. The prospect of committing to a K100 course whilst at the same time keeping your business going will require super-human efforts. I have seen too many mature students start and the realise the workload of K100 and drop out. Far better if you can work out a way to hone your design skills whilst growing your business, I would have thought. Your reputation has been hard won over a long period and can be lost quickly.

FWIW I started architecture at 32 and am a qualified architect. Financially speaking - one of the worst decisions I have ever made.
bradshaw04, be weary about taking advice here, most of the responders on this sub-forum are 20 somethings, including me.

It's likely that you have more designing responsibility now than you will after 10 years of doing the architecture route.
Design degree graduates paradoxically have very low design credibility, it's people in practice and people who build who do. Try to skew your business slowly toward design? Possibly working construction for artists and designers who need your skills. I get what you're saying about trying to move to a desk job, but you've have to push through the 5 years of making silly renders and not being taught much.
Original post by GormlessWonder
bradshaw04, be weary about taking advice here, most of the responders on this sub-forum are 20 somethings, including me.

It's likely that you have more designing responsibility now than you will after 10 years of doing the architecture route.
Design degree graduates paradoxically have very low design credibility, it's people in practice and people who build who do. Try to skew your business slowly toward design? Possibly working construction for artists and designers who need your skills. I get what you're saying about trying to move to a desk job, but you've have to push through the 5 years of making silly renders and not being taught much.

Perhaps this is only valid in the UK. I'm not sure what you mean by "design degree", is that not what all architecture degrees are geared towards? Students from the best schools in the UK are highly sought after, which can be witnessed by the number of job offers left beside their theses at end of year shows. Similarly in Switzerland, graduates are on high demand.

Without going off topic.. I met a man last year who was the same age as yourself and who had worked as an architect for years, by his own standards he professed himself as a good architect, but he knew he couldn't get by without a recognised degree. If you want to improve your business - you may benefit more from just providing architectural services as a degree might not be suitable for you. If however, you want to become an architect then maybe just go for it.

Maybe there are alternative options? In Switzerland, many students fill the role of a 'Hochbauzeichner' for four years, working in a professional studio part time before they commence their studies. Perhaps you could make an arrangement or collaborate with a firm; it could be a mutual collaboration, they provide you with the working environment and you witness first hand how trained architects articulate the design process. In return you work on drawings and models or maybe even provide them with some of your knowledge. This way you can still stay on top of work at your business.
I'd agree with Gorm and jrhartley, I think doing a conventional architecture chartership would be a waste of time if you're not looking to move past small-scale work. I think a measured approach to learning whilst you work would be better, talking to the project architect if there is one, etc etc. Your experience will vastly out-scale degree-level students, so you'd be paying a significant fee to learn relatively little :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending