The Student Room Group

The Boots Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khopemarshall
I've just been offered a Christmas customer assistant Job and my induction is next Sunday!! I'm really nervous!
What happens on the induction? How long until I get my uniform? Does anyone know the pay for an under 18 Christmas temp?

Hey, how did you find out when your induction was!?
Original post by Zotler
I was at a Christmas cascade evening last night, and people got excited that we "gapped 6 times" WTF is gapping? I didn't want to ask at the meeting in front of everyone, haha.

I've not heard of gapping as such but they could mean filling empty shelves with new stock or double facing (filling gaps in the shelves with a product that is next to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2282
Hello all,

I had the interview on Friday and started work the very next day. I have mostly been looking after the Christmas section but for the last 45 minutes of my shift yesterday I was asked to observe someone on the till and learn from then to start serving customers. I didn't really feel particularly prepared but I gave it a go and served about 10 customers. I know it is very new to me and it will take time to get used to what I need to ask for, check offers and the general order of asking for advantage card, payment etc. I just felt a little overwhelmed as it was very busy and the girl showing me went ever so quick to get through the customers. I am a little worried I will be expected to go straight on the till tomorrow when the bell goes without really knowing exactly what I am doing.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a guide to how I should serve customers (and the various things they may ask or I need to do) just so I can feel a bit more prepared tomorrow.

Many thanks for any help :smile:
Original post by Cyclo
Hello all,

I had the interview on Friday and started work the very next day. I have mostly been looking after the Christmas section but for the last 45 minutes of my shift yesterday I was asked to observe someone on the till and learn from then to start serving customers. I didn't really feel particularly prepared but I gave it a go and served about 10 customers. I know it is very new to me and it will take time to get used to what I need to ask for, check offers and the general order of asking for advantage card, payment etc. I just felt a little overwhelmed as it was very busy and the girl showing me went ever so quick to get through the customers. I am a little worried I will be expected to go straight on the till tomorrow when the bell goes without really knowing exactly what I am doing.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a guide to how I should serve customers (and the various things they may ask or I need to do) just so I can feel a bit more prepared tomorrow.

Many thanks for any help :smile:

There's no guide as such. It's just up to you how you do it. I generally ask people if they want a bag before I start scanning things then as I'm scanning ask if they have an advantage card. After that take the money etc, give the change and receipts and remember to give them the card back.

However it depends from customer to customer as some people will just throw everything at you or won't answer your questions so it's hard. Just as long as you get through the people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2284
Does anyone know how Boots work out how much you get paid? There's no clocking system, so how do they know how many hours you've worked?
Original post by vianli
Does anyone know how Boots work out how much you get paid? There's no clocking system, so how do they know how many hours you've worked?

You get paid for what your rota says which is a bit rubbish because I know do an extra few minutes all of the time but that's just how it works. You get paid by hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2286
Original post by vianli

Manager has to enter in hours worked onto a website, which is generally kept like the poster above said on a rota. It's a suckish system since in some if not most stores you'll end up staying a good 10 mins over if you're working at the end of the day and you won't get paid for it.
Also sucks because it's really easy for your hours to get missed off, so you need to ALWAYS write down (I put mine on my phone calendar) what hours you've worked so you can check them against your payslip. I guess you should do this even if you had a clocking system, but its especially important at Boots because it's so easy for some extra hours to get missed off.

I remember someone saying that they were going to trial a clocking system, but there was some sort of issue with how they would deal with people being late or something I don't know, haha.
Reply 2287
hey guys, I have an interview tommorow (Tuesday) I'm not certain about what product to choose to talk about but was thinking about a hair clipper for men. I know about them and therefore could go into some detail. But would it be a wise choice seeing as they may be looking for something more application based such as a cream? Or could it be good as it's different from other applicant choices (at least that's how it seems from reading about other people's experiences here).
Reply 2288
Original post by K-Elyas
hey guys, I have an interview tommorow (Tuesday) I'm not certain about what product to choose to talk about but was thinking about a hair clipper for men. I know about them and therefore could go into some detail. But would it be a wise choice seeing as they may be looking for something more application based such as a cream? Or could it be good as it's different from other applicant choices (at least that's how it seems from reading about other people's experiences here).

No, absolutely go for it. As a male applicant I would definitely go for something that you can sell to males because that's probably one of the things we struggle with, I guess.
Reply 2289
Original post by Zotler
No, absolutely go for it. As a male applicant I would definitely go for something that you can sell to males because that's probably one of the things we struggle with, I guess.

Okay, thanks a lot for the reassurance :biggrin:
Reply 2290
I've got another question :smile:

So I was lucky enough to get the job (very surprised after how the interview went) and now I need to go to an induction on Sunday at Greenwich (which is the store I'm going to be working at) but I'm not sure as to how I should dress as a male. Would casual be acceptable?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by K-Elyas

So I was lucky enough to get the job (very surprised after how the interview went) and now I need to go to an induction on Sunday at Greenwich (which is the store I'm going to be working at) but I'm not sure as to how I should dress as a male. Would casual be acceptable?

No, I would go smart. You'll probably be on the shop floor doing till training so you should wear suit trousers and a shirt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2292
Original post by itsjustsophie
No, I would go smart. You'll probably be on the shop floor doing till training so you should wear suit trousers and a shirt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay, thanks! :smile:
Original post by K-Elyas

No, I wore formal black trousers (don't wear your suit ones if possible, they'll get ruined) and a shirt before I got my uniform.

Also, as a tip when the manager asks what uniform you want don't bother with the shirts, they're horribly baggy and really scratchy, just get a couple from Primark or somewhere and use your tie to mark you out as staff.
Reply 2294
Original post by Le Nombre
No, I wore formal black trousers (don't wear your suit ones if possible, they'll get ruined) and a shirt before I got my uniform.

Also, as a tip when the manager asks what uniform you want don't bother with the shirts, they're horribly baggy and really scratchy, just get a couple from Primark or somewhere and use your tie to mark you out as staff.

Why would they get ruined? lol. Thanks for the extra info, so does that mean that you can buy your own uniform? Cool :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by K-Elyas
Why would they get ruined? lol. Thanks for the extra info, so does that mean that you can buy your own uniform? Cool :biggrin:

Make up, the shop floor's pretty grimy and you'll need to kneel on it, stock room is dusty as etc.

They buy your uniform, but a few people at mine asked to buy their own plain white shirt instead and no one objected.
Hi guys ,did anyone else not get paid for weeks? i am supposed to be paid fortnightly but i haven't been paid yet after a month ..going to ask the manager but i'm nervous haha
Original post by newworker13
Hi guys ,did anyone else not get paid for weeks? i am supposed to be paid fortnightly but i haven't been paid yet after a month ..going to ask the manager but i'm nervous haha

Ask your manager, it's your pay they understand it's important to you. Some people where I worked didn't, think the issue was with start date not being put into the system and it's easy to sort out.
alright will do , thanks for the reply :smile:
Permanent employees ~ do we get paid again before Christmas? I heard we get paid on the 20th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending