The Student Room Group

Choosing an Oxford College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amol_chalis447

x

Thank you so much, that was really useful! I must admit I'm now more inclined towards New, though I also have the same shortlist as the one you gave me.

I only mentioned the Norrington Table for New because it has been so consistently high in the last few years! However the more I think about it I don't really mind because I'd quite like to do well anyway, though getting a first at Oxford, for an essay based subject in particular, sounds astronomically difficult.

I think I've also seen the same statistics as you despite the fact that they haven't provided any in the last few years! I know it won't disadvantage you wherever you apply but it would be nice to know that statistically speaking, you'd be more likely to get in to the college you have chosen. Especially after all the hard work you put in choosing a college! I definitely would not complain at all though if I was reallocated and got an offer though.

Good luck on your application by the way! :smile:
Original post by sophie238
.. I think I've also seen the same statistics as you despite the fact that they haven't provided any in the last few years! I know it won't disadvantage you wherever you apply but it would be nice to know that statistically speaking, you'd be more likely to get in to the college you have chosen.

It's not even statistically straightforward to apply to a college that is less oversubscribed than another one, in the belief that it at least gives you a better chance of being accepted by the college that you have chosen. I know this sounds counter intuitive!

For example, imagine that you could either apply to a less oversubscribed college which in recent years had not given a single offer to anyone who applied to it for your subject (preferring candidates who had been sent there during the interview period from other colleges), or to one that was more oversubscribed but did at least give offers to a number of their own applicants for your subject. Which one should you pick in order to maximize your chances of an offer from the chosen college?
Original post by shoshin
It's not even statistically straightforward to apply to a college that is less oversubscribed than another one, in the belief that it at least gives you a better chance of being accepted by the college that you have chosen. I know this sounds counter intuitive!

For example, imagine that you could either apply to a less oversubscribed college which in recent years had not given a single offer to anyone who applied to it for your subject (preferring candidates who had been sent there during the interview period from other colleges), or to one that was more oversubscribed but did at least give offers to a number of their own applicants for your subject. Which one should you pick in order to maximize your chances of an offer from the chosen college?

That's a good point, but as far as I've heard (and I might be mistaken) don't most colleges offering law give out a very similar number of offers each year?
That's a good point, but as far as I've heard (and I might be mistaken) don't most colleges offering law give out a very similar number of offers each year?

I think the point is that they might not make any offers to people who directly applied to that college, instead giving them to people who applied elsewhere.

Law actually makes a useful illustration of the point. If you choose 'Law' and '2012' from the drop down box here:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/offers.html

You will see that Magdalen was pretty oversubscribed: 58 applicants for 7 places. Mansfield (my college) was less oversubscribed: 13 applicants for 4 places. So I presume that you would be reckoning that there is a much better chance of applying to Mansfield and getting an offer from Mansfield than there is in applying to Magdalen and getting an offer from Magdalen? Yet the same table also shows that Mansfield made zero offers to their 13 applicants, because they preferred four candidates from other colleges, while Magdalen made offers to six of their 58.

I'm not arguing that this means that it's actually 'better' to apply to a more oversubscribed college. I just think that the lesson here is that there is next to no point in using statistics to try to second guess the admissions process at Oxford. Just apply to the college that tickles your fancy.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by revelry26
Any Christ church applicants?? I haven't come across any yet :frown: . I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, to be honest :P is christ church good for international applicants??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello!! I am :smile:
Original post by pseudonymegg
Hello!! I am :smile:

That's awesome! Which course ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's awesome! Which course ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

English and French, how about you??
English and French, how about you??

Mathematics :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh right, rather opposite sides of the academic spectrum :smile: good luck!
ahh right, rather opposite sides of the academic spectrum :smile: good luck!

Good luck to you too :smile: are you a home student or an international one ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to you too :smile: are you a home student or an international one ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

home, good Old Blightly
what about you?
home, good Old Blightly
what about you?

International. I'm from India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3733
Original post by la-dauphine
Exonian here :smile: Exeter guarantees accommodation for all three years of your degree - but not all of it will be on the main college site. All first years and about 1/3 of third years live in college; all second years and the majority of third years will either live in privately rented accommodation or one of the College duplexes on Iffley Road, such as Stapledon House (by the time your year comes up the Walton Street rooms, which are lovely and new and central, might be ready though).

I'm an international student. I understand we can not have the rooms on holidays, so where do I keep my luggage on vacation?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3734
Original post by Atkins
I'm an international student. I understand we can not have the rooms on holidays, so where do I keep my luggage on vacation?

All colleges have someplace for you to leave some luggage (some more space / more convenient space than others). You can also check out the possibility of paying for your room through the breaks. In many cases, it is not (in absolute terms) that expensive (given the costs of going to uni internationally).
Reply 3735
Original post by DCDude
All colleges have someplace for you to leave some luggage (some more space / more convenient space than others). You can also check out the possibility of paying for your room through the breaks. In many cases, it is not (in absolute terms) that expensive (given the costs of going to uni internationally).

Thanks a lot!!
Original post by Mr...
Balliol, Brasenose or Univ for Law with a year in France/ Law

Why those, what are you looking for, any must-have requirements etc etc...

Just knowing your subject doesn't tell us anything about what college would be best :wink:
Original post by Mr...
Accomodation for all 3/4 years, friendly and good food

I can only speak for Brasenose, but we have guaranteed accommodation for all undergraduates (all very central - main college site is on Radcliffe Square, the Annexe is next to the Oxford Union just off Cornmarket), very friendly (we have one of the largest intakes for Law, which is nice and makes for a cosy environment) and we have reasonably good food (pay as you go for all meals, formals cost 4.85 and are held three times each week). :smile:
Original post by Mr...
Accomodation for all 3/4 years, friendly and good food

At Balliol accommodation in college is only guaranteed for 2 years, but financial assistance is available for those living out in privately rented accommodation (usually in 2nd year).
Has anyone got any thoughts on University College? I've been allocated there from my open application but I have no idea of its reputation and there's hardly ever any talk of it on here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending