The Student Room Group

Can you change courses whilst at Uni?

Hi. I am asking this on behalf of a friend who is applying to university.

How interchangeable are subjects? He is applying for Natural Sciences but would like to know if it is possible to change to just doing Physics, Chemistry or Biology (or any of the other sciences like biomed etc) after starting the course.

I didn't really know what to say to him. I have heard of people swapping Law for History for example, but didn't know if it was the same with Science subjects.

Cheers.
It depends where you go and how related the courses are. At Bradford, we received an email at the end of first year telling us all of the possible transfers. Basically we could transfer between the life sciences department (so bio, chem, engineering, pharmacy, optometry related courses). Some of the courses have an average which you must meet, others require a personal statement and interview, and then they give a conditional offer, dependent upon your first year results.

You'll have to ask the uni, and let them know as soon as possible that you want to switch as there'll be paperwork involved. I think my transfer was started in June officially (when first year results came out) but I had told my tutor in December.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending