The Student Room Group

Imperial Surgery&Anaesthesia BSc

Hello everyone

I'm considering applying EXTERNALLY for the surgery&anaesthesia BSc at Imperial. Was wondering how is the course? (structure, workload, assessment etc)

And also anyone who has been successful with an EXTERNAL application...what's the application process like? Anyone I can do for the year to come that can increase my chances of getting a place?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

(I know they have given a great deal of information online on the website, but hearing first-hand from those who have been through the experience is more important to me than Imperial trying to "sell" on their website.)
Reply 1
Original post by NotoriousMas
Hello everyone

I'm considering applying EXTERNALLY for the surgery&anaesthesia BSc at Imperial. Was wondering how is the course? (structure, workload, assessment etc)

And also anyone who has been successful with an EXTERNAL application...what's the application process like? Anyone I can do for the year to come that can increase my chances of getting a place?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

(I know they have given a great deal of information online on the website, but hearing first-hand from those who have been through the experience is more important to me than Imperial trying to "sell" on their website.)

Hi I did the BSc as an external last year. It was a really nice year. I met so many lovely people and learnt tonnes of new things.

First, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. They say 5 places but there were 14 externals! The application process is literally just the personal statement and references, no interview. In terms of the personal statement, just highlight why you want to do the COURSE not the CAREER. Talk about the elements of the course that you find interesting and how you developed an interest in them or any relevant extracurricular activities that fed into that interest.

It was a tough BSc but all of the Imperial ones are.

Negatives: I was also lured in by the fact that you do the exams in Feb and then start your project after thinking that I wouldn't cope revising and writing a dissertation in May but I found that with the early exams I was in uni Mon-Fri with 9-5 everyday and so not as easy as BScing elsewhere and not a lot of time for revision. Also in each module (3 in total) there are two in-course assessment pieces which make revising even harder!

Positives: you get taught by people who are world renowned, you can get involved in projects that are quite clinical in their nature so you don't have to sit in the lab all day growing cells (unless you want to). Saying that I did choose a lab-ish project! And all the projects have good potential for getting presented at conferences or published.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by malaz_197
Hi I did the BSc as an external last year. It was a really nice year. I met so many lovely people and learnt tonnes of new things.

First, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. They say 5 places but there were 14 externals! The application process is literally just the personal statement and references, no interview. In terms of the personal statement, just highlight why you want to do the COURSE not the CAREER. Talk about the elements of the course that you find interesting and how you developed an interest in them or any relevant extracurricular activities that fed into that interest.

It was a tough BSc but all of the Imperial ones are.

Negatives: I was also lured in by the fact that you do the exams in Feb and then start your project after thinking that I wouldn't cope revising and writing a dissertation in May but I found that with the early exams I was in uni Mon-Fri with 9-5 everyday and so not as easy as BScing elsewhere and not a lot of time for revision. Also in each module (3 in total) there are two in-course assessment pieces which make revising even harder!

Positives: you get taught by people who are world renowned, you can get involved in projects that are quite clinical in their nature so you don't have to sit in the lab all day growing cells (unless you want to). Saying that I did choose a lab-ish project! And all the projects have good potential for getting presented at conferences or published.

Hope this helps :smile:

I remember reading that imperial do not guarantee accommodation for those who are external -- How many external entry people get halls and what do those people who dont get halls do?
Reply 3
Original post by themedicalgeek
I remember reading that imperial do not guarantee accommodation for those who are external -- How many external entry people get halls and what do those people who dont get halls do?

I lived at home so not entirely sure about that one Im afraid. Only 2 of the externals on my course lived in halls and one lived in a rented flat with other students. Perhaps email and ask them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending