The Student Room Group

2014 Pharmacy applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by propagation
It's a group interview.
We had the more stupid interviewers.

The town itself is nice but it's let down by the people-this is a massive concern of mine. As a friend described "Home-town of the EDL" haha.

The Lecturer for Chemistry seems to know nothing about what he is talking about and if he doesn't know the answer to a question he will try and dodge it by walking around the subject.
The University seems to be more directed towards the Arts rather than Science which is a deep concern and it can be seen by some of the students which study there. The uni is rather small and there seems to be not much available in terms of facilities for sports for example.
The only good thing I can say is the Head of the School is very good and he knows what he is doing but is let down by a few of his staff.

tbh I think nottingham is more racist and is the main home of edl, apart from when they do the demonstations every once in a blue moon, I never even notice them
Reply 4041
anyone got interiew on 28jan ljmu?
Could someone please tell me why you chose to study pharmacy and what options you think it will give you career?

i'm interested in this field but have read online that the market is saturated and can be boring. I'm thinking of studying pharmacy because I enjoy chemistry and hope it will be interesting knowing what can treat what. This is my opinion though.

i'm hoping to prove these facts I read online wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by EmRice
Sorry to interupt but I've applied to 4 out of the 5 same unis as you - Nottingham, UEA, Reading and Bath, but I also applied to Brighton, not Manchester. Where are you thinking of firming and insuring?

Thinking of insuring reading, and if I get an offer from bath I will either firm them, UEA or notts, but I'm undecided! What are you thinking of doing?
Original post by gunther
Yeah I've been put on hold, grim because of the long wait but I'm just glad I haven't been rejected :P
I've applied to UEA, Manchester, Reading and Cardiff.... almost all the same! Have you heard back from the others?

Yeah atleast its not a rejection! I've got offers from reading and UEA, interviews coming up at bath and Manchester. What about you?
Reply 4045
Original post by kiyubi
if you mean uclan, i have an interview with them:biggrin:

Hi, I've applied to UCLAN too but only in December. When did you apply when is your interview pls? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous 14
Could someone please tell me why you chose to study pharmacy and what options you think it will give you career?

i'm interested in this field but have read online that the market is saturated and can be boring. I'm thinking of studying pharmacy because I enjoy chemistry and hope it will be interesting knowing what can treat what. This is my opinion though.

Lol I thought the same and yeh I'm interested in organic chemistry so am really interested in how drugs are actually synthesised. Hopefully I'll do a phd and if you're interested in chemistry part of it then you'll probably find pharmaceutical industry interesting, which is what I want to go into eventually. There's also hospital pharmacy and community pharmacy. I think community is the one people find boring, and to be honest I don't agree. Speaking to people every day, and seeing them get better won't be a boring job for me, and you're kept busy anyway as far as I remember from my work experience. Anyway I guess that is only my opinion though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4047
Original post by savs
Hi, I've applied to UCLAN too but only in December. When did you apply when is your interview pls? :smile:

i applied on 2nd of november and they first gave me an interview on cant quite remember but i think 15th of jan or something, but i changed the day since i had another interview, i changed it to 5th of feb:smile:
Reply 4048

Its true that there are far too many pharmacy graduates today due to the opening of new pharmacy schools. I believe that they are planning to limit the numbers they accept onto the course in the future, so it levels out again.

However pharmacy is an area that is changing a lot, and I believe their role is expanding. You'll notice that universities have changed their courses to be more clinical, and a lot of money has been invested in their departments. The way they are teaching us is changing because the job is changing. Only recently have pharmacists been able to independently prescribe, and things like smoking health clinics are more often lead by pharmacists than GPs these days. There has been some talk of somehow lightening the load of the doctors surguries and hospitals by sending patients with minor issues to pharmacies, however I think this will come sometime in the future as its only just been mentioned.
I find pharmacy an exciting prospect with plenty of career opportunities and development. I love chemistry and biology so the mix of the two sciences suits me well. I just think that being involved in the changing environment and role of a pharmacist is something that excites me.
Reply 4049
Original post by v1k2a3t4
I'll hopefully see you there then :biggrin:

Haha yeah that would be cool :biggrin:
Reply 4050

There has been a lot of talk about the over supply of pharmacy graduates, but there are three different options currently being considered by the regulatory and educational bodies that will be decided upon later this year that will target this problem. So it has become an increasing problem recently which is why it's been noticed, however this won't be continuing.

I absolutely love chemistry and the organic chemistry modules of the A level course! Combined with my love of chemistry, what really helped me to decide was undertaking work experience. I'd thought about it and was interested, but it wasn't until I did some work experience in a community and hospital pharmacy that I knew it was definitely what I wanted to do. I'd definitely recommend doing the same if you're interested in pharmacy! Plus if you do decide that it is what you want to do, you'll already have some work experience under your belt which will help your application hugely! :smile:

There are so many careers you can go into as well. If you go on the GPhC (General Pharmaceutical Council) website, you'll be able to find a lot of information regarding different careers; whether it be community, hospital, industry - or something completely different.

In Pharmacy you're working with patients and talking to people. It's different from a Pharmacology degree, because Pharmacy teaches you the law, and is the only way that you can become a Pharmacist.

Good luck and I'm willing to answer any questions!
Reply 4051
Original post by Agent006
I've got one on that date and I'm really nervous for it. Do you think it going to be a group interview or not?

I have absolutely no idea! I had a group interview at Herts which I preferred to a one to one!
Reply 4052
Original post by charj09
Its true that there are far too many pharmacy graduates today due to the opening of new pharmacy schools. I believe that they are planning to limit the numbers they accept onto the course in the future, so it levels out again.

However pharmacy is an area that is changing a lot, and I believe their role is expanding. You'll notice that universities have changed their courses to be more clinical, and a lot of money has been invested in their departments. The way they are teaching us is changing because the job is changing. Only recently have pharmacists been able to independently prescribe, and things like smoking health clinics are more often lead by pharmacists than GPs these days. There has been some talk of somehow lightening the load of the doctors surguries and hospitals by sending patients with minor issues to pharmacies, however I think this will come sometime in the future as its only just been mentioned.
I find pharmacy an exciting prospect with plenty of career opportunities and development. I love chemistry and biology so the mix of the two sciences suits me well. I just think that being involved in the changing environment and role of a pharmacist is something that excites me.

AHHH someone said about too many pharmacy grads in my Herts interview and the interviewer got quite annoyed!! It was quite amusing and painful at the same time!
Hi, I'm wanting to be a pharmacist and I am currently in year 12 studying physics, chemistry and psychology. However I have looked on some universities and they say I need biology so I was thinking of doing an AS in it next year but I don't know if I would be able to cope with the work load, so would it be better to have 3 a levels and 1 AS which maybe aren't that good or 2 a levels and 2 AS levels which might be of a higher standard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harriet122
Hi, I'm wanting to be a pharmacist and I am currently in year 12 studying physics, chemistry and psychology. However I have looked on some universities and they say I need biology so I was thinking of doing an AS in it next year but I don't know if I would be able to cope with the work load, so would it be better to have 3 a levels and 1 AS which maybe aren't that good or 2 a levels and 2 AS levels which might be of a higher standard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a few unis that don't require Biology but I can't tell you exactly which, you'll have to look through all the pharmacy school websites and see, but if you're interested in any other uni's best thing to do is email them and ask for advice on if they would take someone who'll do AS Biology in the second year. All of the pharmacy school sites I've looked at say they don't accept two AS subjects in place of a full A Level so I don't think you'll have much look there
Reply 4055

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a friend who got into Bath uni without biology but I think she was lucky. They just gave her a pack to look through before she started to learn the basics
Reply 4056
Its just that its my first interview and I am really panicking and need advice.

I chose to study Pharmacy because I thought it would be a more flexible career in the long-term. pharmacy is soooooo much harder than I expected...my uni focuses quite a lot on bio and maths (obviously chem too), so there is a lot that you need to feel confident in. the fact that you have an interest in pharm is great...don't let the future job prospects deter you. yes there is a saturation in jobs but not in industrial pharmacy and other routes you can go down. if you get into a good uni and are an approachable person, then hopefully things will work out well.

pharmacists are very very underrated....the amount of things they need to learn is crazy! we have no reading week when everyone else does, and start at 9am everyday and can finish as late as 5.50pm. one of my friends at another uni even has lectures starting at 7pm! be prepared for a lot of hard work but at the end of it, if you do well, imagine the satisfaction :u:

I hope my little rant helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

biology is not a requirement for most uni's but it will help more than I can express.
my advice on what to do in yr 13 is either 3 full a-levels and IF you can cope then an extra AS. it is of a higher standard to have more completed a-levels than as-levels.
anyone else firming or firmed university of reading or university of sunderland? and what did you think of them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending