(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm in :awesome:

.......my third attempt :facepalm2:
Reply 2
Original post by pinkpenguin
I'm in :awesome:

.......my third attempt :facepalm2:

Apparently most Fast Streamers made it onto the scheme after at least two attempts!
Original post by dj_macky
Apparently most Fast Streamers made it onto the scheme after at least two attempts!

Yeah I'm relatively confident that I'm capable, it's just performing on the day I think. Got to the E Tray both times, so it's just down to not rushing the actual E Tray exercise - for some reason I thought the time limit was a bit tighter than it actually was, so I was often guessing a little bit at email responses instead of sifting through the notes and finding the answer.

This year I guess!

Do you know what part of the Scheme you are interested in?
Reply 4
I'm in! After reading older threads on TSR - I think I'm beginning to accept it as a trial run seeing as I'm going to be in final year next year and it seems a lot of people take a couple intakes to get a place. I'm looking at the Diplomatic Service and European Fast Streams. :beard:
Reply 5
Original post by pinkpenguin
Do you know what part of the Scheme you are interested in?

Last year, I was torn between GFS and HR, but went with GFS mostly because that scheme allowed me to add TiB as well. I failed GFS online selection test but passed FSAC for TiB, only to fail the TiB FSB.

I learnt a lot from the process, and the FSAC Report is invaluable. In hindsight, I'm convinced that TiB is not the right career path for me. Tbh, I'm relieved I failed the TiB FSB.

So, this year, I'm sticking to HR because I'm passionate about it, and have practical experience in that area because at least 50% of tasks in my current role involves HR.

Which scheme are you interested in?
is anyone looking at the science and engineering department? Does anyone know how competitive that particular selection process is?
Original post by dj_macky
Last year, I was torn between GFS and HR, but went with GFS mostly because that scheme allowed me to add TiB as well. I failed GFS online selection test but passed FSAC for TiB, only to fail the TiB FSB.

I learnt a lot from the process, and the FSAC Report is invaluable. In hindsight, I'm convinced that TiB is not the right career path for me. Tbh, I'm relieved I failed the TiB FSB.

So, this year, I'm sticking to HR because I'm passionate about it, and have practical experience in that area because at least 50% of tasks in my current role involves HR.

Which scheme are you interested in?

That's a good experience, by the sounds of things!

I'm going for GFS, not sure on departments or whether I want to go for Diplomatic or not, but am pretty sure GFS is the one for me.
I know a fair few people that have got in on 2nd, 3rd, 4th attempt so don't worry about having a few cracks at it. It becomes easier the more familiar you are with the process. Kind of like Andy Murray at Wimbledon.
Reply 9
Looks like I might be going for it too (first time) but I'm not sure if I'm what they're looking for:

Got a BA and MA (distinction) but....I've been a stay at home mum looking after young children for the last 6 years and am now in my late 30's. Too late for me?
Reply 10
Original post by sempitern
Definitely not. In fact, the Civil Service is probably one of the better employers to re-enter the market with in terms of not facing prejudice over being out of the market in recent years. The recruitment exercise for both the Fast Stream (and for quite a few other CS posts) is online test based, interview (based on competencies) and assessment centre based. This means you have as good a shot as anyone if you perform well in the tests and demonstrate the competencies.

If it helps you from a confidence perspective, there were several in their 30s at my eTray event last year in London.

Thank you. That helps knowing I hopefully won't be the oldest there!

Are there any online practice tests that I can try prior to Sept? Need to see what I have to brush up on, it seems like ages since I had to use my brain much. Is it sad that I'm really looking forward to practising and to the challenge overall?

Also, on a completely practical note, what is the salary for London based fast streamers? (Is there London weighting?) I'll have childcare and commuting costs to take into consideration.
Reply 11
Original post by sempitern
Interesting to read your post dj_macky. I got to AC for TiB but withdrew. I just didn't feel it was me. Interestingly enough, half of the TiBers I met along the way were having similar feelings. I wonder what their outcomes were.

I will probably throw my hat in again this year. For HoP and EFS probably...though I am not sure if both those streams require you choose them as first choice.. (I forget which depts have that ruling). If both do, then I must choose between them.

I hope this year turns out better. I do feel more relaxed about the process now, most likely because I now know what to expect (bar any changes that may be introduced this year).

Anyway, I think that only the Diplomatic stream and HoP require you to choose those streams as your first preference or you may not be invited to their FSB irrespective of your FSAC score.
(edited 10 years ago)
In terms of preparing for the e-tray test, how useful is the practice one that they've supplied?
Anyone needs advice on getting through stages, can help. Starting in September :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Beingme
Thank you. That helps knowing I hopefully won't be the oldest there!

I was 34 when successful (last year), and knew someone in his 40s that also passed.

Original post by Beingme
Also, on a completely practical note, what is the salary for London based fast streamers? (Is there London weighting?) I'll have childcare and commuting costs to take into consideration.

£27k in London for the GFS and some departments are part of a childcare vouchers scheme (where you can trade in £243 of your salary per month for taxfree vouchers).
Reply 15
Im in (first time) looking at Diplomatic Service mainly. Best of luck to everyone!! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by MasterSora1991
In terms of preparing for the e-tray test, how useful is the practice one that they've supplied?

There are various E-Tray practice tests out there, but from personal experience, I found the Fast Stream practice test quite good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
sorry if this is obvious but if you get onto to the civil service in central departments , do you have to work in London ? Are there opportunities elsewhere or are you given a place ? thanks :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by dbdb
sorry if this is obvious but if you get onto to the civil service in central departments , do you have to work in London ? Are there opportunities elsewhere or are you given a place ? thanks :redface:

Most placements are in London, but not all. You have to be flexible as you could be placed anywhere in the country, and you don't really get to choose. Your placements will also probably not be in the same location.
Reply 19
Original post by Chiryu
Most placements are in London, but not all. You have to be flexible as you could be placed anywhere in the country, and you don't really get to choose. Your placements will also probably not be in the same location.

Hmm, so would it be an issue that I'm a single mum with young children (just in school), commuting distance to London? I mean, would they ask me to relocate for 6 months given the disruption to my children etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending