The Student Room Group

architecture question

hi so i am doing a new project at architecture and its about designing a bothy. the question i have is that what are walls made of ? all the layers that are put together to form a wall like brick concrete thermal cavity and all that. what should i use to design the wall? also i want timber cladding on the exterior.

many thanks
Reply 1
Erm, not sure what you mean - 'what should I use to design the wall'? A pencil? A computer - you decide how you want to draw your sections. If you mean how should I construct the walls out of? Blockwork? Timber Frame? RC? You choose. You want to clad it in timber, so you can make the structure in whatever you want. Bear in mind a traditional bothy is in stone. If you make the loadbearing structure in blockwork then at least you are attaining some thermal mass inside, if you are going to clad it in timber (with obviously insulation between the cavity and the loadbearing structure).
Reply 2
Original post by jrhartley
Erm, not sure what you mean - 'what should I use to design the wall'? A pencil? A computer - you decide how you want to draw your sections. If you mean how should I construct the walls out of? Blockwork? Timber Frame? RC? You choose. You want to clad it in timber, so you can make the structure in whatever you want. Bear in mind a traditional bothy is in stone. If you make the loadbearing structure in blockwork then at least you are attaining some thermal mass inside, if you are going to clad it in timber (with obviously insulation between the cavity and the loadbearing structure).

hi thanks a lot for the answer. i have sorted out the wall. now im stuck in the roof. the bothy is only 3m x 3m. the walls are stucco on both sides and concrete and fiber glass batt in the middle. question is what are the essential layers a roof should have? because im trying to make the wall as thin as possible.

many thanks
what is very nifty also is nature clay to put on the wall, ne age people claim that is possesses healing capaticities.....
what is very nifty also is nature clay to put on the wall, new age people claim that is possesses healing capaticities.....
Reply 5
Original post by homayoun
hi thanks a lot for the answer. i have sorted out the wall. now im stuck in the roof. the bothy is only 3m x 3m. the walls are stucco on both sides and concrete and fiber glass batt in the middle. question is what are the essential layers a roof should have? because im trying to make the wall as thin as possible.

many thanks

I'd really recommend you have a look in any of the detailing books you might find in your library - for example - the Roof Construction Manual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending