The Student Room Group
Original post by Brian Moser
I haven't been summoned or anything, but if moneys not an issue, can you simply pay a fine rather than doing jury duty?

Would you really want to pay £1000 for not doing something so simple and worthwhile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Portia1993
Would you really want to pay £1000 for not doing something so simple and worthwhile?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of people earn considerably more than £1000 for 2 weeks worth of work.
Reply 3
when you meet the judge, you can do this to his face!

Jury duty, Aint nobody got time for dat!
A lot of people earn considerably more than £1000 for 2 weeks worth of work.

Most people (and yes plenty of exceptions eg commission work, self employed) will have a right to paid leave for jury service.

OP it is your duty as a citizen to appear on a jury, one of the very few requirements that living in a democratic society under the rule of law places on you.

Also, jury service (can be) fun.
Reply 5
There are quite a few ways you can excuse yourself if you get summonsed, if you are the main carer for a child under 16 is one, so you can always have arranged to look after a niece/nephew for that time, but be aware if you are caught out they wont like it. Most employers will pay you whilst you are serving, and if you are self employed there are certain conditions under which you are exempt anyway. Chances of being called are pretty slim anyway.
Reply 6
why would you want to pay such a large fine instead of just doing jury duty for two weeks?
you might even enjoy doing the jury duty, i know i wouldnt mind it, a week off work to do something different, it would be an experience if nothing else
Reply 7
I wish I were called for jury duty; but only when I get a job.
Reply 8
Original post by rickfloss
when you meet the judge, you can do this to his face!

Jury duty, Aint nobody got time for dat!

Go buy yourself a new whig judge.
Reply 9
Original post by nonswimmer
Most people (and yes plenty of exceptions eg commission work, self employed) will have a right to paid leave for jury service.

OP it is your duty as a citizen to appear on a jury, one of the very few requirements that living in a democratic society under the rule of law places on you.

Also, jury service (can be) fun.

I owe nothing to anyone other than myself. Taxes are enough.

See, that's where you're wrong. You owe jury service. You're just delinquent on the debt.

And apparently taxes aren't enough since you're proposing to pay a £1k in fines only to probably be summoned again.
I was summoned for jury duty. Was on the register for a year but only got called once for a coroner's court case. They kept us there for a couple of hours but then let everyone go as the case wasn't going ahead. You might not get picked for the case even if you are called and the case goes ahead though.

I think you can get out of it if you're a student too (there's other reasons as well but I can't really remember them).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't been summoned or anything, but if moneys not an issue, can you simply pay a fine rather than doing jury duty?

Just go! You may be interviewed. Just say that you are a racist and prejudice against women/men. You certainly won't be picked!
As others have mentioned, you can be fined.

Even if the money isn't much to you, the criminal record is a bit of an annoyance.
Reply 14
Original post by InnerTemple
As others have mentioned, you can be fined.

Even if the money isn't much to you, the criminal record is a bit of an annoyance.

You mean to say that it can be more than just a fine?
You mean to say that it can be more than just a fine?

Not sure whether you get a criminal record for Contempt of Court as the warrant is issued directly from the court... but judges are notoriously short-tempered and do send people to jail for contempt. Like this chap who went to prison for throwing a sicky in the middle of his jury service: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076997/Juror-Matthew-Banks-jailed-Christmas-phoning-sick-halting-trial.html

Oh right. So when you're next in court as a defendant, you don't mind if, instead of a fair trial by your peers, the judge, who is best friends with the prosecutor, makes the decision himself as to whether you are guilty.
Original post by GAZ62
Be proactive don't be a sheep, get a note from your doctor i've got two of them one for jury duty 33 years ago and one for the military draft 41 years ago they never bothered me again and that's how you deal with those who are in authority ... how did judging and killing someone become a civic duty ?

Why are you bumping six year old threads?
Juries in England date back before Norman times and there is a long tradition of being judged by your peers.
Reply 18
Original post by 999tigger
Why are you bumping six year old threads?
Juries in England date back before Norman times and there is a long tradition of being judged by your peers.

Same reason you're reading 6 year old threads .. btw i'm not British and they are not my peers
Reply 19
Original post by Portia1993

Posted from TSR Mobile

No i would pay a doctor to get me of jury duty indefinitely judging people goes against every fiber of my being, it's wrong when you have to seal someone's fate under duress

Latest

Trending

Trending