The Student Room Group

TFL Graduate Scheme 2014 - Online Tests

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teebster90
Sorry for my delayed response! :smile:

The interview was literally as they say it will be on the website!

I had four competency based questions (maybe 3 I forget...) about the main competencies they list on their website, e.g customer service, time management etc.

I am applying for project management and my technical questions were to do with the stages of a project and what I felt were important things to consider. I guess it's something to weed out the people who aren't interested enough to do the basic research to find out what the job involves.

To answer people's queries about the difficulty of the numerical tests, I though they were fairly easy (but my background is chemistry so maybe I'm biased...!), it's easy to find loads of practice tests and I would definitely recommend at least doing the practice presented to ou when taking the test! :smile:

They have now confirmed my Assessment Centre date as the 16th! I'm very nervous, but quite excited!

Goo luck to everyone, and I will see anyone who is doing project management next Thursday perhaps! :biggrin:

I'm also on the assessment centre on the 16th, very excited! I couldn't make the one in December since I had an exam so I'm glad they called back for this one :tongue: I'm a physics student though so I don't have much technical project management experience - I shall be doing a bit of research! How are you feeling about it? :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by helenamm92
I'm also on the assessment centre on the 16th, very excited! I couldn't make the one in December since I had an exam so I'm glad they called back for this one :tongue: I'm a physics student though so I don't have much technical project management experience - I shall be doing a bit of research! How are you feeling about it? :smile:

I'm fairly terrified but also excited! Looking forward to the experience :smile:

As an ex chemist I probably fall into a similar boat as you wrt technical experience but I like to think I'm clever enough to make educated guesses :biggrin:

Presentation outline has me a bit stumped but I'll cobble something together I'm sure :3

I'm Tom btw, so say hi! It's always nice to have an ally :P See you on Thursday!
Reply 22
I've been invited for assessment centre on the 6th of Feb for the road management scheme but I haven't had my email yet explaining what I'm going to have to do :/

I live a fair way away though and am going to have to book a hotel, so the biggest thing would be if someone knew where in london the assessment centres are held so I can book somewhere nearby/on the right tube line :smile:
Reply 23
It's by the North Greenwich tube station, which I know is on the Jubilee line.
Original post by alibee
I've been invited for assessment centre on the 6th of Feb for the road management scheme but I haven't had my email yet explaining what I'm going to have to do :/

I live a fair way away though and am going to have to book a hotel, so the biggest thing would be if someone knew where in london the assessment centres are held so I can book somewhere nearby/on the right tube line :smile:

Congrats on the assessment centre, I'm still waiting to hear if I have one or not for the same scheme. I had an oddly worded email saying I was being considered for an assessment centre but they couldn't confirm until they had finished the phone interviews. I guess that means I am on some sort of short list.

When did you have your phone interview out of interest.
Reply 25
Original post by teebster90
It's by the North Greenwich tube station, which I know is on the Jubilee line.

Thanks so much for this. I've been able to find somewhere that won't break the bank.

Original post by skittlesftw
Congrats on the assessment centre, I'm still waiting to hear if I have one or not for the same scheme. I had an oddly worded email saying I was being considered for an assessment centre but they couldn't confirm until they had finished the phone interviews. I guess that means I am on some sort of short list.

When did you have your phone interview out of interest.

I had my phone interview on the 3rd January and heard nothing at all until I also got that odd email on the 17th. Someone then phoned me the same afternoon I got it to offer me an assessment centre date. When I had my phone interview, the lady told me to expect a wait for an assessment centre if I was successful so I wouldn't worry too much. They extended the application deadline for the scheme and in fact it's still open so I can't imagine it's full!!
Reply 26
I received an email today asking me to book my time for a telephone interview but when I do so, it says there aren't any available timeslots?! Anyone else having this problem?

I thought I'd failed the numeracy test because I only got to 12 of 18, but apparently not.
Reply 27
Hi, you just need to keep trying this is what I did yesterday and I checked around 8 this morning and was allocated a slot good luck!!
Reply 28
My assessment centre has been cancelled because of tube strikes...
Original post by alibee

That is annoying! Have they rescheduled you yet? They phoned me yesterday and confirmed that I had a place next Friday (the day after your original date I believe) maybe you'll be on that one too.
Have you received your email about the presentation etc yet?
Reply 30
Original post by alibee

;D oh the irony.

Akua90, thanks, I'll try checking first thing in the morning!
Reply 31
anyone got an invitation for the Electrical Engineering AC?
Reply 32
Hie guys
I just got a telephone interview for Traffic Control Systems Engineer Graduate Scheme. Is there anyone in the same boat. Any questions which they asked or might ask?

Thank you
Reply 33
Original post by glassarmy
;D oh the irony.

Akua90, thanks, I'll try checking first thing in the morning!

@glassarmy, it's okay did you manage to find a slot and book one? And if so how did your phone interview go?
Reply 34
That is annoying! Have they rescheduled you yet? They phoned me yesterday and confirmed that I had a place next Friday (the day after your original date I believe) maybe you'll be on that one too.
Have you received your email about the presentation etc yet?

I was offered that date, but I had other commitments that I couldn't move. I'm hoping they're going to run another assessment centre a bit later in the month.

How did it go??
Original post by alibee
I was offered that date, but I had other commitments that I couldn't move. I'm hoping they're going to run another assessment centre a bit later in the month.

How did it go??

They mentioned another one was happening in March. It was a pretty intense day, but everyone was really nice. It went ok, but I kept on thinking of things I should have done differently once I had left...I guess I'll find out next week how I did.

Good luck for yours
Reply 36
They mentioned another one was happening in March. It was a pretty intense day, but everyone was really nice. It went ok, but I kept on thinking of things I should have done differently once I had left...I guess I'll find out next week how I did.

Good luck for yours

Hie

Please your help will be appreciated if you tell me the questions they asked for your telephone interview. I just want to have an idea as i cant sleep still going over and over my answers.

Thank you
Original post by andrie55
Hie

Please your help will be appreciated if you tell me the questions they asked for your telephone interview. I just want to have an idea as i cant sleep still going over and over my answers.

Thank you

I'm applied for a different scheme so I imagine the questions might be different. I was asked 3 or 4 questions from memory. It was a long time ago now, but the questions were fairly straight forward and corresponded to the competencies on the micro site. The interviewer lets you speak for a couple of minutes then will ask you questions based on what you have said (the questions are rather leading and try to give you the opportunity to do the best you can do)
I seem to remember one of the questions was on motivational fit, and another on collaboration. Sorry to not be more specific...I really can't remember. Good luck.
Reply 38

Good luck for yours

@skittlesftw Good luck with the outcome I'm sure that you will be fine. I wanted to ask if could tell us how the day went if you don't mind please in terms of what activities you had to partake n the different assesments you had?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Akua90
@skittlesftw Good luck with the outcome I'm sure that you will be fine. I wanted to ask if could tell us how the day went if you don't mind please in terms of what activities you had to partake n the different assesments you had?

Thanks in advance :smile:

The day closely follows the schedule they sent to you in the email...at least that means there are no nasty surprises. The day is intense but everyone is really nice and approachable.
You have a group discussion about an issue, you then have 30 minutes to write about the outcomes of your discussion. After that you do a 10 minute presentation on a topic they give you, followed by about 20 mins of questions.
You get a chance to speak to current graduates and have lunch. You then do your fast track exercise which lasts about 35 mins, and finally you have your competency interview which lasts 50 mins.

I found out today I was successful! At least they are quick at replying!
My advice to you is read the tfl graduate site again, and do some research into current projects.

Hope that helps.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest