The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 860
Original post by Godislovemed
Can you tell me how to get really high in Biology and chemistry? Did you start doing pastpapers before you finished the syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really its just keeping up with the work and revising as you go. If you dont understand/are not 100% sure of something, ask your teacher. If they dont understand something, some people will just ignore it and wish it vanished from the syllabus- dont be one of these people :biggrin: I did past paper questions before i finished the syllabus but not whole papers.
Reply 861
Its good to see you guys start early.
Original post by Bromaldehyde
'Sup ?

Yeah, so I'm not sure how to become Doctor Who, folks said a degree in medicine was the closest, so I'm going to go for that...

you're a klkid
Original post by joeymr
Hello :smile:

In my GCSEs I got 6A*s 3As and 1B (English literature).
I did my AS levels in biology chemistry maths and psychology and got AAAC (C in maths)
I'm taking my A2s in biology chemistry and maths, predicted A*A*A.

Ive applied to Leicester, Manchester, Southampton and Oxford. Ive got interviews at Leicester and Manchester and I've been rejected from Oxford (BMAT wasn't high enough).

There's lots of different things you can do to prepare for an interview- i think the most important thing is getting some good quality work experience under your belt. It really does help in an interview to give examples of your motivation towards medicine and i think work experience is by far the most useful way to do this! I Try not to worry about interviews too much at this stage- focus on getting the AS grades and maybe start thinking about your personal statement.

Hope this is helpful, if you have any more questions please don't be shy :smile:

Ahhhh thank you so much!! And yes I'm trying to focus on my school grades but it's just so difficult to keep on top of everything! Do you have any tips on how to get As in biology and chemistry at AS level?? Once again thank you and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, thanks so much for the advice. Good luck with you application. Let us puny folk know how you get on! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 865
Original post by KimSmith1234
Ahhhh thank you so much!! And yes I'm trying to focus on my school grades but it's just so difficult to keep on top of everything! Do you have any tips on how to get As in biology and chemistry at AS level?? Once again thank you and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries, yeah I know it's hard but keep at it! See my post above about bio and Chem :smile: thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joeymr
No worries, yeah I know it's hard but keep at it! See my post above about bio and Chem :smile: thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah sorry didn't see that haha!! Thanks! Also can I ask, what extra curricular activities did you do?? And do they ask about extra curricular activities at interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 867
Original post by KimSmith1234
Oh yeah sorry didn't see that haha!! Thanks! Also can I ask, what extra curricular activities did you do?? And do they ask about extra curricular activities at interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no worries :smile: here is a list:

Academic things
- Head boy at secondary school
- President of student union at college
- Student governor
- Mentoring year 10/11 science students

Sports/Hobbies
- Rowing
- Youth theatre for 3 years

Other
- Volunteering
- Part time jobs (I work at Sainsbury's :smile: )

If you can, i would definitely try and find some ECs which demonstrate the skills that universities are looking for in potential doctor, e.g. leadership, communication teamwork etc. Its all very well and good if you've played national level football for 12 years, but universities wont care unless you can demonstrate that you've learnt something from it :smile: at my Leicester interview they didn't explicitly ask about them, but other medical schools will ask you questions such as 'tell me about a time where you had to lead a team' or 'tell me about a difficult situation you've encountered and how you resolved it'. Having some good ECs under your belt is key in these types of questions because they want you to provide examples- if all you do is sit in your room and study all day, the likelihood of you giving a dull answer is pretty high :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi, I saw you response and am applying to Newcastle Manchester and Nottingham as well for 2015 entry.
Is there any advice you can give me? I will have a Bachelors of Science in Medical Biology, and an International Baccalaureate Diploma (no A-levels). I volunteer at a Hospital and Deaf center and got some other extracurricular activities as well.
I'm not from here so I honestly don't know which Medical Schools are the good ones. I know the each have slightly different programs, but that I don't really mind.
Any input or advice would help!
Thank you so much!
Original post by joeymr
Haha no worries :smile: here is a list:

Academic things
- Head boy at secondary school
- President of student union at college
- Student governor
- Mentoring year 10/11 science students

Sports/Hobbies
- Rowing
- Youth theatre for 3 years

Other
- Volunteering
- Part time jobs (I work at Sainsbury's :smile: )

If you can, i would definitely try and find some ECs which demonstrate the skills that universities are looking for in potential doctor, e.g. leadership, communication teamwork etc. Its all very well and good if you've played national level football for 12 years, but universities wont care unless you can demonstrate that you've learnt something from it :smile: at my Leicester interview they didn't explicitly ask about them, but other medical schools will ask you questions such as 'tell me about a time where you had to lead a team' or 'tell me about a difficult situation you've encountered and how you resolved it'. Having some good ECs under your belt is key in these types of questions because they want you to provide examples- if all you do is sit in your room and study all day, the likelihood of you giving a dull answer is pretty high :smile:

Hey,
May I ask how many hours u work a week?? I really want a part time job but I dont know if I'll be able to handle it all with volunteering, studies etc...
Reply 870
Original post by ghost_rebel
Hey,
May I ask how many hours u work a week?? I really want a part time job but I dont know if I'll be able to handle it all with volunteering, studies etc...

Hey, I work 12 hours a week (+more in half terms/holidays) and volunteer two hours a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I apply to 5 universities for medicine and have no backup?
Original post by joeymr
Hey, I work 12 hours a week (+more in half terms/holidays) and volunteer two hours a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks😊 where do u volunteer??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 873
Anyone has applied for the medicine masterclass in Cambridge?
Reply 874
Original post by Pennyarcade
Can I apply to 5 universities for medicine and have no backup?

Simple answer- No :smile:

Original post by ghost_rebel
Thanks😊 where do u volunteer??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I volunteer with children/young adults with severe learning disabilities/mental illness :smile: I like run play schemes, clubs and sports events for them during the holidays and I run their friday youth club during term time :smile:
That's cool person above me, I volunteer at a para badminton class, in which I coach handicapped badminton players, it's brilliant !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 876
My birthday's towards the end of august and the work experience places near me want you to be 17. What could I do? I'm really struggling to find some experience :frown:
Reply 877
Original post by ojj_12
My birthday's towards the end of august and the work experience places near me want you to be 17. What could I do? I'm really struggling to find some experience :frown:

I found that I gained a great deal of insight while on placement in a pharmacy, especially reagarding common illness and treatments based on prescriptions. Furthermore by doing the order I could see the expense of some drugs, by disposing of unused drugs the wastage and the realisation that not all drugs work well for everyone. Although I have an earlier birthday I undertook hospital WE in Morriston in August, I found that I had sufficient time to incorporate this into my PS in plenty of time and submit my application in mid September. Look at learning skills especially in communication as these are skills you can apply to first year medicine, getting experience talking to people not just patients has really helped in communication lessons and on clinical placement.
Reply 878
Original post by ojj_12

I didn't have any work experience until the summer holidays because my birthday was late :smile: Try and organise it early and explain your predicament :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackTeh96
Anyone has applied for the medicine masterclass in Cambridge?

Yeah, you?

Latest

Trending

Trending