The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hey, just a quickly, according to UCAS, nobody hinders there chance of getting a place in Uni by applying 3 months before the deadline, or 3 hours before it, if this is the case, why are people receiving offers already?

if I was to leave it until hours before the cut off date, won't all the places be gone?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Gillybop
Hey, just a quickly, according to UCAS, nobody hinders there chance of getting a place in Uni by applying 3 months before the deadline, or 3 hours before it, if this is the case, why are people receiving offers already?

if I was to leave it until hours before the cut off date, won't all the places be gone?

Hi Gillybop,

Thanks for the question. We make offers very quickly - within days often - to those students that meet our requirements for an unconditional offer. The remaining applications are then made conditional offers (or rejected) awaiting results.

I can reassure you that we will have places for applicants that meet our entry requirements - as long as they apply prior to the UCAS cut-off in January.

Hope this helps?

Best,
Campbell
Hi, for the Business Economics degree is there an essential minimum entry requirement for Maths at a specific level? As I can not see it on your website?:smile:
Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Hi, for the Business Economics degree is there an essential minimum entry requirement for Maths at a specific level? As I can not see it on your website?:smile:
Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there GeschichteJunge,

Thanks for the question.Although some Maths/numeracy may be helpful for Business Economics it is not a requirement for entry. The general requirements for the College of Social Science apply here...

MA (SocSci)

Highers: AAAAB (including English or a humanities subject/language) in first sitting = unconditional offer.

Applicants who achieved AAAA or AAABB at their first sitting may receive a conditional offer dependent upon them attaining enough Highers and/or Advanced Highers to bring their total attainment to six or more Highers/Advanced Highers by the end of their second sitting. English or a humanities subject/language at grade A or B, if not attained at first sitting, will be required.

Additional offers, either conditional or unconditional, MAY be made to applicants who achieved AAAB, AABBB or AABB at their first sitting. A decision re these applications will be made in March 2014 once all applications have been reviewed.

Good luck!
Campbell (UK Recruitment Team)
Hi. :smile:

My family are thinking of arranging a family re-union in 2014.

They asked me when my exams end (I said 23rd of May) but I've only just realised that the semester doesn't end until the 30th of May!

Are there any requirements of me to attend that last week? Will lectures still be happening?

What happens during that last week before end of semester?

Thanks. :smile:
Hiya,

With there being two student unions, I was wondering whether I can apply to both student unions or if you are allocated to either one depending on your halls, preference etc?

Thanks a bunch x
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hi there GeschichteJunge,

Thanks for the question.Although some Maths/numeracy may be helpful for Business Economics it is not a requirement for entry. The general requirements for the College of Social Science apply here...

MA (SocSci)

Highers: AAAAB (including English or a humanities subject/language) in first sitting = unconditional offer.

Applicants who achieved AAAA or AAABB at their first sitting may receive a conditional offer dependent upon them attaining enough Highers and/or Advanced Highers to bring their total attainment to six or more Highers/Advanced Highers by the end of their second sitting. English or a humanities subject/language at grade A or B, if not attained at first sitting, will be required.

Additional offers, either conditional or unconditional, MAY be made to applicants who achieved AAAB, AABBB or AABB at their first sitting. A decision re these applications will be made in March 2014 once all applications have been reviewed.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, that's SUCH a relief haha. 😀 🙌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
Original post by SusanRose7
Hiya,

With there being two student unions, I was wondering whether I can apply to both student unions or if you are allocated to either one depending on your halls, preference etc?

Thanks a bunch x

You can pick whichever one you want. Theoretically you're only meant to join one, though I heard they don't match their databases up (? not sure though) so you might be able to join both. I find most people significantly prefer one anyway, I went to the GU once in first year and haven't been for the last three years because I liked the QMU so much better.
Original post by machalba
You can pick whichever one you want. Theoretically you're only meant to join one, though I heard they don't match their databases up (? not sure though) so you might be able to join both. I find most people significantly prefer one anyway, I went to the GU once in first year and haven't been for the last three years because I liked the QMU so much better.

Thanks, I am aware that QMU is a lot livelier than GUU but I read somewhere (http://www.push.co.uk/Uni_Profile.aspx?uid=9198) that because they differ quite a bit they both fit into specific stereotypes, GU being a bit more posh and for the intellectual, whist QMU being for those whom want to have a laugh. I actually love both student unions and choosing either one will be so daunting!
Thanks anyway!
Hi there !!

So in my highers in the summer i got AAAAB

I want to study Law and I would love to receive an unconditional since Glasgow is my firm choice.

I have a good personal statement with lots of law related work experience and other achievements/ extracurricular activities.

Do you think that I am still in with a chance to get offered an unconditional even although I didnt get 5As
Original post by evalilyXOX
Hi there !!

So in my highers in the summer i got AAAAB

I want to study Law and I would love to receive an unconditional since Glasgow is my firm choice.

I have a good personal statement with lots of law related work experience and other achievements/ extracurricular activities.

Do you think that I am still in with a chance to get offered an unconditional even although I didnt get 5As

Hey there evalilyXOX,

Great results - well done! You are certainly a very strong candidate for admission to Law at Glasgow. In addition to the things you mention you would also need to do well in your LNAT test.

In terms of an unconditional offer this would depend on academic achievement, LNAT performance, and personal statement. The School of Law would look at all of this aspects and make a decision on the type of offer to make.

I hope this helps?

Best,
Hey there evalilyXOX,

Great results - well done! You are certainly a very strong candidate for admission to Law at Glasgow. In addition to the things you mention you would also need to do well in your LNAT test.

In terms of an unconditional offer this would depend on academic achievement, LNAT performance, and personal statement. The School of Law would look at all of this aspects and make a decision on the type of offer to make.

I hope this helps?

Best,

Thanks so much !!

Yea I will just have to wait and see what they say now.

The Suspense is killing me !!

Thanks Again !
Reply 392
Hi - does anyone know the situation for junior honours language students? I'm in 3rd/4th year (depending if you count the year abroad) and it says "Units: 140 required, 60 taken, 80 needed" on my enrollment page. I'm taking 4 x 20 unit options (one not examined this year because it'll be my dissertation, which doesn't show up on my enrollment but *does* on my timetable). I go to all my language classes but they are zero credits this year because not everybody's gone to their joint honours country yet. Is that why my records are messed up, or should it have taken that into account? Just a little worried that it'll mess up my exams or something!
Hiya,

Thanks a bunch x
Hi,

I applied to study medicine, but as I have not received an interview, I expect to be rejected by Glasgow. If this happens, would you be able to transfer my application to Chemistry with medicinal chemistry?
Original post by Medic applicant
Hi,

I applied to study medicine, but as I have not received an interview, I expect to be rejected by Glasgow. If this happens, would you be able to transfer my application to Chemistry with medicinal chemistry?

Hi there Medic applicant,

This is a bit of a tricky one to answer. Until you hear from the School of Medicine admissions department I would be careful not to assume that you've been rejected, Normally the School will contact applicants about interviews during December - but this doesn't mean that the SoM wouldn't (or couldn't) invite for interview later than this.

You couldn't 'transfer' to Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry if you haven't already included this on your UCAS form as an insurance choice. But you may be able to amend your fifth choice if you're very quick - the UCAS deadline is 15 January at noon.

As I say, this is a bit of tricky one but I hope this helps a bit?

Best,
Hi there Medic applicant,

This is a bit of a tricky one to answer. Until you hear from the School of Medicine admissions department I would be careful not to assume that you've been rejected, Normally the School will contact applicants about interviews during December - but this doesn't mean that the SoM wouldn't (or couldn't) invite for interview later than this.

You couldn't 'transfer' to Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry if you haven't already included this on your UCAS form as an insurance choice. But you may be able to amend your fifth choice if you're very quick - the UCAS deadline is 15 January at noon.

As I say, this is a bit of tricky one but I hope this helps a bit?

Best,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately as I submitted my application to ucas in October I'm outside the 7 day change period and cannot change. I know that Edinburgh have previously offered rejected medicine applicants a place on related science degrees and I was hoping that Glasgow might do similar if I am rejected. I would meet the entry requirements. Would that be possible?
Hello, I have a question regarding studying abroad.

The credits you do in an exchange program, how are can u make sure that it follows your degree program. I mean like if the exchange university did a course in the first semester and your course at home did a similar course in the second semester? I mean if you went on a 6 month exchange how can you avoid this?

Also, if you want to go to a foreign country say Germany or France, is it important you know the language (even if the course is in English) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medic applicant
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately as I submitted my application to ucas in October I'm outside the 7 day change period and cannot change. I know that Edinburgh have previously offered rejected medicine applicants a place on related science degrees and I was hoping that Glasgow might do similar if I am rejected. I would meet the entry requirements. Would that be possible?

Hi there,

Unfortunately we do not make offers of alternative degree courses to unsuccessful Medicine applicants at Glasgow. Sorry! :frown:

Best, Campbell
Original post by munchen102
Hello, I have a question regarding studying abroad.

The credits you do in an exchange program, how are can u make sure that it follows your degree program. I mean like if the exchange university did a course in the first semester and your course at home did a similar course in the second semester? I mean if you went on a 6 month exchange how can you avoid this?

Also, if you want to go to a foreign country say Germany or France, is it important you know the language (even if the course is in English) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there,

I checked with one of the nice people in Study Abroad here and this is what they replied.

All overseas courses are researched by the student and approved by a dedicated academic coordinator to ensure students meet GU degree requirements whilst overseas. This is the case for single or double semesters. This is a key part of the process as your time overseas is integrated to your Glasgow degree and no extra time is added to your degree term.

Some partners teach in English and so that may be an option.. or could take the language in 1st year to prepare.

Hope this helps!

Best, Campbell (UK recruitment team)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending