The Student Room Group

Why Private Schools are Better

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GrumpyCat
Private schools are better ofc, although I do idd find it funny she believes that private pupils are smarter.

The state schooled would have got similar grades to you, yet didn't get the bonus of private education.

Its so depressing how prevelant her view is at Bristol Uni though!
Reply 21
Original post by Secretnerd123
Unfortunately not all have the same attitude. I know many people who went to state schools with better grades than those who went private..

Exactly, and I have many friends who weren't able to attend private school and got fantastic grades. It shows a complete lack of social awareness and in my opinion does reveal how private school hides you from a lot of the real world and prevents you from being a level-headed person and not someone so far stuck up their own a*se they can see light.
Original post by jaydoh
Wouldn't send my kids to private school even if I was stinking rich. Would rather they had life experience at a comp or grammar with a wide range of "clientele".

I absolutely agree with you! I go to a grammar school, and even though it's still a state school, I do really wish I'd gone to a comp because here I only meet a particular type of person, and students are only taught to achieve in a specific environment - one where everyone is of equally high conventionally academic intelligence. I also disagree with grammar schools as a concept, but that's a whole different story. If I didn't work with a really varied theatre company outside school, I don't know how I'd cope! I just can't imagine how much worse it would be going to a private school...
Original post by Georgiecat
I absolutely agree with you! I go to a grammar school, and even though it's still a state school, I do really wish I'd gone to a comp because here I only meet a particular type of person, and students are only taught to achieve in a specific environment - one where everyone is of equally high conventionally academic intelligence. I also disagree with grammar schools as a concept, but that's a whole different story. If I didn't work with a really varied theatre company outside school, I don't know how I'd cope! I just can't imagine how much worse it would be going to a private school...

You see inherent straits of elitism and snobbery at uni with people that have gone to uni, and then into the workplace. It has a knock on effect deffo.
Original post by arrolb4
Exactly, and I have many friends who weren't able to attend private school and got fantastic grades. It shows a complete lack of social awareness and in my opinion does reveal how private school hides you from a lot of the real world and prevents you from being a level-headed person and not someone so far stuck up their own a*se they can see light.

Haha so true. Repped
Reply 25
Some things only money can buy and a good education is one of them

I worked just as hard to get my grades.

Yep, you sure worked hard getting something only money can buy.
Yes, it may be unfair that being able to pay upwards of £12,000 a year in fees entitles you to a better education, but that’s life. You don’t get something for nothing.

Well actually you do. Happening to be the child of parents who pay for you to go to a private school for example...
it’s about who you know, not what you know.

Another great argument for the invaluable education she's received.
I don’t think people can take the moral high ground that because they went to a state school they’ve earned their place at Bristol more than I have

But I thought private schools were oh-so-better than state schools :confused:

Anyway,
http://www.facebook.com/becca.atkinson.963
Pity the only thing her parents could pass on to her was their money. And cake.
"It’s not that there’s anything wrong with a state school education, but I’m just glad I went to a private school. Some things only money can buy and a good education is one of them."

Yes but that doesn't mean you can't also get a good education for free. Some good state schools are obviously better than some private schools in terms of teaching quality and/or results e.c.t.

"In my opinion, ‘posh prejudice’ is just as bad as racism or homophobia. Just because my parents paid for my education does not mean I ‘bought’ my way into Bristol. I worked just as hard to get my grades. From my perspective my parents paid two sets of school fees, mine at a price I won’t disclose, and yours, through their taxes."

Broadly agree, although wrg to the last sentance note that you (or parents) make an active choice not to go to state school.

We’d all have rather gone here……than here

I don't know about that, I would, personally, for instance hate the idea of going to somewhere like eton because I dislike having my life so rigorously organised around me or even being around people more intelligent than me! Sometimes its a great confidence boast to be 'above average' rather than struggling in the shadow of people much smarter than you. Also there are social type arguments for going to a state school too.

Yes, it may be unfair that being able to pay upwards of £12,000 a year in fees entitles you to a better education, but that’s life. You don’t get something for nothing. Private education comes with many advantages and they’re worth paying for. Some parents choose to spend their money on school fees and some spend on flashy holidays and expensive cars.

Agree with this in a way. Life is unfair in general, I mean some people are clearly more naturally intelligent than others. This is something completely out of your control, and no one would turn down the opportunity to be a genius; but then it is understandable why it is sometimes begrudged. But yes, I see nothing wrong in taking advantage of good luck.

"Private school students tend to go into the best jobs. Top private school alumni networks such as the Old Etonians or Old Harrovians, provide fantastic opportunities and this is worth the school fees alone. Although you may wish it wasn’t: it’s about who you know, not what you know.

This is probably true but a citation is really needed here, and also a scale of how much a difference it makes would be useful in assessing if it is worth it.

"Private schools have better facilities. Whilst state schools may have netball courts and hockey pitches, private schools come with stables and squash courts. This attracts students who are dedicated to various sports, which makes them leaders and team players. For this reason it’s no surprise that ex-private school students tend to have the best jobs; they’ve been trained to lead since they were children."

Probably true yes. Although I would be reluctant to form the conclusion in the last sentence without some research to back it up.

"Private schools get better results. This may be because the students who go there are cleverer: you have to pass stringent tests to get in. It may be because of smaller classes, which means more one-on-one attention so students thrive. Regardless, better results mean better prospects and that is worth paying for."

Ah, but here is the issue. You have suggested that a possible reason why private schools do better is because they receive a superior cohort in the first place. If this was the only reason why results were better, then you might as well go to a state school. In reality it is probably a combination of the two factors, and perhaps more that have not been mentioned. If it turns out though, that the inate ability of a primary school student is the dominant factor, then it could be conceivably argued that they would thrive just as well at a prospering state school.

I don’t think people can take the moral high ground that because they went to a state school they’ve earned their place at Bristol more than I have. Parents change catchment areas to get their children into the best state school, or lie about their religion both methods are underhand in my opinion. I’d rather my parents paid for my education than resorted to such dishonest tactics.

No more than anyone can take the moral high ground for making the best of any bad (or more appropriately 'relatively worse' ) situation. Incidentally why is lying about religion or changing catchment area that bad? In the later case it isn't really dishonest, its just paying money to get into a different school in a more indirect way. And in the former case, well, religious schools are pretty immoral in themselves to be honest - granting special privileges to specific religions (or indeed a-religion) while ignoring others.
Reply 27
Pretty disgusting snobbery in that article, but to be fair, considering the amount of money the parents have to pay to have their child go to a private school, it would be pretty ridiculous if the standard of the school wasn't higher than a state school and needless to say, I found the private school I attended for a few years far better in just about every area than the state school I went to.
Original post by arrolb4
So why does that count any less than any other degree?? It is still a degree and some (admittedly not many) go on to earn loads of money. There is absolutely no way you can judge someone on the degree they are studying....

What are you talking about? She questioned the quality of one of our best universities. I was responding by questioning whether she was in a position to be doing that when she was applying for one of the less rigorous courses, which it is.
Original post by Birkenhead
With all due respect, love, you're applying for psychology. Not entirely convinced you should be our judge of what's prestigious and what's not.

A bit harsh. Bristol isn't exactly Oxbridge though.
What does. She have against. Using sentences more complex. Than an amoeba.

Seriously, it's just badly written, feels like she's knocked it off in her lunch, which given it's the Tab she probably has.
Original post by Serpentine111
A bit harsh. Bristol isn't exactly Oxbridge though.

No, it isn't, But saying it like that can leave the impression that they're a bit above all that. Most Bristol uni students are on courses that are more intellectually challenging, that was all I was saying.
Reply 32
Original post by sorafdfs
Yep, you sure worked hard getting something only money can buy.

Well actually you do. Happening to be the child of parents who pay for you to go to a private school for example...

Another great argument for the invaluable education she's received.

But I thought private schools were oh-so-better than state schools :confused:

Anyway,
http://www.facebook.com/becca.atkinson.963
Pity the only thing her parents could pass on to her was their money. And cake.

And she isn't even in Wills Hall?!?!
Original post by Quady
If you went to private school, go to university and look at someone who went to state school, you'll know they got the better deal. Their family is relatively about £75k up.
Their family got the better deal, not sure about the student.

I don't think either 'deserved their place more'. But the one who paid got ripped off to be in the same position.
Depends whether you think that private school student would have got into the same uni sans the private school, I did find at uni a host of people who I wondered how they had the brain power to control their bodily functions let alone get straight A's. I did find it amusing the raft of student who left our school with roughly the same grades as me, to then end up at a lower ranked uni when that we supposedly the sole reason they left.

**** Bristol anyway, they were the only one of my 5 to reject me, without interview at that. Not that I would have taken up the place but I still maintain a sense of animosity. :tongue:
Reply 34
With all due respect, love, you're applying for psychology. Not entirely convinced you should be our judge of what's prestigious and what's not.

With all due respect, love, I went to Bristol and I thoroughly agree. Everyone there's an Oxbridge reject
Original post by redferry
With all due respect, love, I went to Bristol and I thoroughly agree. Everyone there's an Oxbridge reject

As could be said for Imperial, LSE etc. :wink:
Original post by redferry

Nonsense. There's no-one in my flatshare who applied to Oxbridge. Being a very good university doesn't mean you're packed to the brim with rejects of excellent ones, what dreadful logic.

You seem to have a lot of beef with Bristol. Did you not make enough friends?
Reply 37
Original post by Serpentine111
As could be said for Imperial, LSE etc. :wink:

Nah having visited both in my gap yah I'd say only Durham comes close in terms of rejected Oxbridge applicants.
Reply 38
What an infuriating article, and I say this as a private school student, fortunately my school has something like 20% of students on bursarial support, we also have stinking rich kids who've bought their way in a lot of the time. In general though it's pretty mixed, anyone with the views of this article writer would not be popular. At all.
Reply 39
Nonsense. There's no-one in my flatshare who applied to Oxbridge. Being a very good university doesn't mean you're packed to the brim with rejects of excellent ones, what dreadful logic.

You seem to have a lot of beef with Bristol. Did you not make enough friends?

No I loved Bristol. Doesn't mean its not full of posh ****ers though!

I think about 10 out of my 100 person student house didn't apply to Oxbridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending