The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4740
Original post by james1211
Is it weird that i can't be bothered to talk to most people i meet these days? It seems nobody is interested in anything anymore, i have quality conversations with the middle aged people at work about politics, history, economics, debates about societal issues etc but everyone my age seems to only want to talk about football, the gym, or how many people they've slept with in the last week. Sorry, not interested.

I understand this completely. I have a few friends who have interesting educational debates about topics in the news - usually history or politics related. But so many of my friends have such dull and uninteresting conversations. One of my friends only ever talks about the latest gossip and her new bf. It's so dull I end up just not listening. I usually listen to conversations rather than participating in them anyway - but it's nice to have something interesting to listen to at least!

Original post by cookieesxo
Really don't know how to cope.

Just want to die

Posted from TSR Mobile

Talk to a doctor or your GP - it will help you, and it sounds like you need help :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4741
Original post by Meaty_man
Hah, i think that's just people maturing at different rates :tongue: It feels like a lot of people don't care about themselves or the world they live in, but i honestly think there are a lot of things out there that almost mold you to be easily manipulated. Call me crazy but i think big corporations and governments do this willingly.

I remember when i was younger that i always got on well with people older than me, i may laugh at toilet humor and be a clown, but i can be mature when i want to :d

Im with you on the corporation bit. These days the only thing my peers aspire to is owning an iPad! I feel quite an outsider to society in Britain today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james1211
Im with you on the corporation bit. These days the only thing my peers aspire to is owning an iPad! I feel quite an outsider to society in Britain today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i think the problem is that people don't initially know what they want, but then pop culture shows up and shows you all these flashy things that have apparent value, a value that has essentially been made up, and people believe it.

Then comes the bandwagon effect, where everyone starts jumping on, and when so many people do the same thing, many will follow like sheep.

I honestly think that people don't realize that health and happiness matter the most, and that really doesn't cost much. Yet, people insist on stressing themselves out to get a well paid job to buy stuff they don't really need.

If you're happy, why do you "need" a better job? Why do you "need" to change? Eh, im ranting now but yeah :tongue:
Reply 4743
Original post by Meaty_man
Yeah i think the problem is that people don't initially know what they want, but then pop culture shows up and shows you all these flashy things that have apparent value, a value that has essentially been made up, and people believe it.

Then comes the bandwagon effect, where everyone starts jumping on, and when so many people do the same thing, many will follow like sheep.

I honestly think that people don't realize that health and happiness matter the most, and that really doesn't cost much. Yet, people insist on stressing themselves out to get a well paid job to buy stuff they don't really need.

If you're happy, why do you "need" a better job? Why do you "need" to change? Eh, im ranting now but yeah :tongue:

I think most people are programmed from a young age to seek happiness in material goods and it's an extremely hard behaviour set to shake off. We're also programmed from school starter age to constantly compare ourselves with our peers against a set of arbitrary values that were told define happiness such as exam grades, what job you have, how much you earn, how many friends you have etc.

I myself admit I'm still trying unsuccessfully to shake myself away from that because it was all taught from such a young age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Peeps I know that nohomo wanted us to read his thread about disabled people on benefits but I think we should stay away from it. It's quite upsetting reading. Am actually shaking with anger right now :cry2:

Sorry about that :frown:

I didn't foresee the kinds of responses that thread received. It pissed me off too.
Reply 4745
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry about that :frown:

I didn't foresee the kinds of responses that thread received. It pissed me off too.

nohomo here!
Original post by nohomo
nohomo here!

No need for you to apologise: not your fault :nah:
Reply 4747
I'm kinda bored. Anyone fancy trading Skype usernames for instant messaging? :tongue:
Reply 4748
Original post by Anonymous

I foresaw it. What pisses me off about it is that in my own circumstance, which I believe is typical of many with mental illness, I have ended up on sickness not out of any choice, I have worked most of my adult life, including through episodes of extremely poor mental health and the result is that either something happens or i end up getting sacked or like last time, i finally conceded to my then partners begging to accept the doctor telling me to take time off and end up getting sacked. I put myself back on jsa through my own choice and tried hard to get a job. I am now going back on ESA because my job advisor after encouraging me to do so is now basically telling me i have to do that because i am really not going to get and hold down a job at the moment.

It is so easy for people to not know the half of what is going on or not understand it and slag you off though.
Stupid stupid poncho
How can you be so stupid and pathetic. Your boyfriend deserves so much better.
Your a mess.
Sort it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Home for the weekend. :smile: Been a really bad week. :frown:

Spoilered for definite ED trigger :frown:

Spoiler

Reply 4751
A really old friend wants to start relationship with me and I just bleh. I want to give it a go but the whole depression/anxiety thing is making me worried. His ex has really bad social anxiety to the point she wouldn't leave the house or talk to anybody but him and towards the end of their relationship she was threatening self harm if he left etc. Just don't know how to bring up that I do have anxiety and on my bad days if I leave my bed that's an accomplishment and on those days I'm not good company and won't be the best girlfriend.
I know I need to talk to him about it but I really don't know how to bring it up to start with . It's trying to point out that it's not all going to be smiley happy time and that sometimes I might need him to back off/ listen to me get slightly hysterical about everyday stuff without him drawing the comparisons. To me there's a clear line that his ex crossed but what if (ignoring everything I've learnt about him in 16 years and all logic) he lumps me in with her? I've met up with him a couple of times since I've been out of uni and both times I've been on my meds and having a good day so just worrying that he thinks I can be like that all the time. Also I don't really do serious relationships do the whole thing is daunting.
Mirtazapine seems to be having more of an effect these past couple of days but I was really bad on tuesday so it's not exactly consistent yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VaVe
A really old friend wants to start relationship with me and I just bleh. I want to give it a go but the whole depression/anxiety thing is making me worried. His ex has really bad social anxiety to the point she wouldn't leave the house or talk to anybody but him and towards the end of their relationship she was threatening self harm if he left etc. Just don't know how to bring up that I do have anxiety and on my bad days if I leave my bed that's an accomplishment and on those days I'm not good company and won't be the best girlfriend.
I know I need to talk to him about it but I really don't know how to bring it up to start with . It's trying to point out that it's not all going to be smiley happy time and that sometimes I might need him to back off/ listen to me get slightly hysterical about everyday stuff without him drawing the comparisons. To me there's a clear line that his ex crossed but what if (ignoring everything I've learnt about him in 16 years and all logic) he lumps me in with her? I've met up with him a couple of times since I've been out of uni and both times I've been on my meds and having a good day so just worrying that he thinks I can be like that all the time. Also I don't really do serious relationships do the whole thing is daunting.
Mirtazapine seems to be having more of an effect these past couple of days but I was really bad on tuesday so it's not exactly consistent yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you feel okay? Definitely talk to him and then just take it as it comes. You seem to have quite realistic exspecatation, what you can do and what you can't do and I think as long as you both agree with it or end it, because both of you are not happy with the situation, then just go for it. Especially when you are young, getting into a realtionship can be serious and not having much consequences concerning breaking up in the long run. The most important thing is you feel okay, with what you are doing.
Original post by PonchoKid
Stupid stupid poncho
How can you be so stupid and pathetic. Your boyfriend deserves so much better.
Your a mess.
Sort it out.

I bet Poncho can only get better, if she isn't making herself feeling low. You can work
much better on your flaws, when not beating yourself up for them.

Anyway: HUGS
Original post by Nathanielle
I bet Poncho can only get better, if she isn't making herself feeling low. You can work
much better on your flaws, when not beating yourself up for them.

Anyway: HUGS

Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
Nope

Yes. Although some situations are simply :frown:, independantly on moods and thinking patterns. That's true.
Ah man, tonight was a real bummer
My mental health has invaded all edges of my life apart from exercise and I was in my garage doing my regular boxing and I felt it creeping up, and I felt a presence in the area and I kept seeing shadows, in the end I was too frightened to continue my hour and a half session and cut it to an hour; came in the house screaming I hate myself and took myself to bed

So upset, it's got all of me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jay84
I am already on quetiapine anyway on a fairly lowish dose (150mg at the moment) but it doesn't seem to help.

What do you know about temazepam? Is that not supposed to help with sleep? Was thinking of 'acquiring' some and experimenting with it myself. I feel pretty desperate and feel like they just turn me away. Their answer is basically 'are you going to kill yourself? No? Well **** off and come back when you get to that stage'

I don't know, the problem is that when it gets bad, I will be completely not care about it or be oblivious or whatever (from past experience) but I do think about suicide quite a lot, almost obsessively sometimes and although I feel like I am not going to act on it, there is the fear that in desperation it could escalate.

That's a shame about the quetiapine not working. I haven't tried temazepam so I couldn't tell you how well it works on insomnia but I wouldn't advise "acquiring" some - it could be anything. Have you tried asknig your doctor for it? Really he should be willing to do more to help you sleep as a lack of sleep can have really serious implications especially when it comes to mental health. What about trazodone or mirtazapine? Both of them have a tendency to make people sleep without the addictive nature of the benzos.

Do you have anyone whose opinion you trust completely? That way you can talk to them and when they say that they think things are getting out of hand you know it's time to act. I use my wife for this because, like you, I don't really tend to notice when things are getting really bad so if you've got anyone you could try that?
Original post by Jay84
I am already on quetiapine anyway on a fairly lowish dose (150mg at the moment) but it doesn't seem to help.

Although not usually relevant to the sleeping aspect, I believe that Quetiapine doesn't work that well only 300mg - hence that being the minimum dose. It is also more sedating at higher doses, so you could possibly see about an increase?
Original post by rmhumphries
Although not usually relevant to the sleeping aspect, I believe that Quetiapine doesn't work that well only 300mg - hence that being the minimum dose. It is also more sedating at higher doses, so you could possibly see about an increase?

While it's true higher doses are more sedating (and more zombifying), I think the majority of psychiatrists wouldn't want to give someone who's not psychotic those kind of doses because of the side effects.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest