The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hey there,

I checked with one of the nice people in Study Abroad here and this is what they replied.

The credits you do in an exchange program, how are can u make sure that it follows your degree program. I mean like if the exchange university did a course in the first semester and your course at home did a similar course in the second semester? I mean if you went on a 6 month exchange how can you avoid this?

All overseas courses are researched by the student and approved by a dedicated academic coordinator to ensure students meet GU degree requirements whilst overseas. This is the case for single or double semesters. This is a key part of the process as your time overseas is integrated to your Glasgow degree and no extra time is added to your degree term.

Also, if you want to go to a foreign country say Germany or France, is it important you know the language (even if the course is in English) ?

Some partners teach in English and so that may be an option.. or could take the language in 1st year to prepare.

Hope this helps!

Best, Campbell (UK recruitment team)

Yeah thanks a lot!

Is there anywhere in the univesity that you can undertake a language without paying a lot of money? I was block enrolled for my 120 credits this year so I couldn't partake in any beginners courses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi there,

Unfortunately we do not make offers of alternative degree courses to unsuccessful Medicine applicants at Glasgow. Sorry! :frown:

Best, Campbell

would I need to wait until ucas extra? What are the chances of science subjects being available in ucas extra? I have 5As at higher with predicted 3 As at advanced higher.

thanks
Original post by Medic applicant
would I need to wait until ucas extra? What are the chances of science subjects being available in ucas extra? I have 5As at higher with predicted 3 As at advanced higher.

thanks

Hi Medic,

UCAS Extra will offer a second chance if you don't have any offers - but we won't be offering any undergraduate science courses though UCAS Extra this year, I'm afraid.

If you want to email me at [email protected] I can get a bit more information about your applications and I'll try and see if there's anything else I can suggest to help you out?

Best,
Campbell (UK Recruitment Team)
Reply 403
I have a question regarding first year exams - when are they? I've got mixed results: one party swears that they're in May, and others say August. Is it different depending on your course? Obviously exact dates would be, but I'm just referring to the general time-frame. So yeah, any ideas?
Reply 404
Hi,
Looking at the Anatomy Undergraduate course, the university website says you can become a graduate entrant into Medicine or Dentistry. Could you tell me how this process works and the chances of receiving a place on the two courses?

Thanks
Hello, was just curious about the minimum maths qualification in regards to studying psychology as I'm not taking it at higher level? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya,

With there being two student unions, I was wondering whether I can apply to both student unions or if you are allocated to either one depending on your halls, preference etc?

Thanks a bunch x
Reply 407
Original post by SusanRose7
Hiya,

With there being two student unions, I was wondering whether I can apply to both student unions or if you are allocated to either one depending on your halls, preference etc?

Thanks a bunch x

Haven't you asked this quite a few times? I replied 2 weeks ago, you pick whichever one you want, it's up to you.
I've applied for second year entry to study mathematics and physics, although I applied in October I still haven't heard back yet, any idea why?

But my main question is whether in my first year (although 2nd year) could I chose to take more physics than maths modules or even only physics?

Thank you!
Original post by Valonqar
I have a question regarding first year exams - when are they? I've got mixed results: one party swears that they're in May, and others say August. Is it different depending on your course? Obviously exact dates would be, but I'm just referring to the general time-frame. So yeah, any ideas?

Depending in the course it differs. There are exams at the end if the first semester in December and then in the second semester the exam are in April/May. The resist are in August.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it worthwhile coming to the applicants' visit day if I've already accepted my (unconditional) offer?
Hi Medic,

UCAS Extra will offer a second chance if you don't have any offers - but we won't be offering any undergraduate science courses though UCAS Extra this year, I'm afraid.

If you want to email me at [email protected] I can get a bit more information about your applications and I'll try and see if there's anything else I can suggest to help you out?

Best,
Campbell (UK Recruitment Team)

Hi Campbell,

thanks. I don't think it's worth checking the status of my application.
Kinda disappointed that interviewees on a Friday were told that it was the final interview day - see medicine forum. I thought Glasgow would have told rejected candidates first instead of letting the forum tell them.
Original post by DavidJRobertson
Is it worthwhile coming to the applicants' visit day if I've already accepted my (unconditional) offer?

Hi there,

Totally up to you. You may well feel that you've had all your questions answered and feel well briefed on your course - or you may have things you'd still like to find out. The AVD allows you to have a chat to academics in your subject area, so can be a useful opportunity. But as I say - it's your shout.

Best, Campbell (UK Recruitment Team)
Original post by jadoreétudier
I've applied for second year entry to study mathematics and physics, although I applied in October I still haven't heard back yet, any idea why?

But my main question is whether in my first year (although 2nd year) could I chose to take more physics than maths modules or even only physics?

Thank you!

Hi there,

Did you apply through UCAS - and when did you submit your application? It could well be the case that we just haven't made a decision on your application as yet. At Glasgow following our unconditional offers (to those applicants that already meet our entry requirements) we hold a number of applications in the 'gathered field' and allocate places according to our capacity and the quality of applicant.

If you're successful in gaining second year entry to Maths/Physics you would be expected to study two subjects (three in first year).

[QUOTE="applicant;46129820" Medic="Medic"]Hi Campbell,

thanks. I don't think it's worth checking the status of my application.
Kinda disappointed that interviewees on a Friday were told that it was the final interview day - see medicine forum. I thought Glasgow would have told rejected candidates first instead of letting the forum tell them.[/QUOTE

Hi Medic,

I can understand your frustration - but I would exercise caution in accepting what other applicants say about the interview schedule in the School of Medicine. They will notify successful and unsuccessful applicants at the appropriate time.

Best, Campbell
Original post by laurenmhari
Hello, was just curious about the minimum maths qualification in regards to studying psychology as I'm not taking it at higher level? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

It depends on the degree course that you are applying to. Psychology is offered in three Colleges at Glasgow and each have slightly different entry requirements - none ask specifically for Maths though. http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/psychology/

Psychology will certainly use statistics - but you'll get help with this. Maths may be useful, but isn't essential.

Original post by kurt123
Hi,
Looking at the Anatomy Undergraduate course, the university website says you can become a graduate entrant into Medicine or Dentistry. Could you tell me how this process works and the chances of receiving a place on the two courses?

Thanks

Hi there,

You can certainly apply to Medicine or Dentistry with a good undergraduate degree in Life Sciences - but there are no guarantees of acceptance. You would apply through UCAS as normal and compete with other applicants for a place. One thing to bear in mind is the cost involved - as funding is usually limited to your first degree.

Hi there,

Did you apply through UCAS - and when did you submit your application? It could well be the case that we just haven't made a decision on your application as yet. At Glasgow following our unconditional offers (to those applicants that already meet our entry requirements) we hold a number of applications in the 'gathered field' and allocate places according to our capacity and the quality of applicant.

If you're successful in gaining second year entry to Maths/Physics you would be expected to study two subjects (three in first year).

Yes, I applied through UCAS in early October. Thanks.
Reply 418
Hi there,

You can certainly apply to Medicine or Dentistry with a good undergraduate degree in Life Sciences - but there are no guarantees of acceptance. You would apply through UCAS as normal and compete with other applicants for a place. One thing to bear in mind is the cost involved - as funding is usually limited to your first degree.

So you would have to do 4 years of Anatomy and then apply?
Hello!

I am a student from Croatia and I want to apply to Glasgow Uni for the year 2015/2016, after taking a gap year. I am now on my third year of bachelor degree in English and French Language and Lit, which I'm actually doing in France over Erasmus (in Brest more specifically, and as I understand there's been a nice cooperation between Brest and Glasgow, which made me even more interested in applying there). My wish is to study English language and linguistics in Glasgow.
What interests me is whether it is possible to start my studies from the beginning (and not have to pay the fees of course) even if I've already obtained my bachelor degree in Croatia, or do I have to apply only for the postgraduate? I do feel like this is a silly question, but the systems in Croatia and Scotland are quite different so it's not quite clear to me.
Also, there's a more important issue, namely I'm not sure I'd have the requirements needed when it comes to grades and would have to go through Glasgow International College, but as I understand it, that's not possible for any courses except for Businness and other two courses I can't remember now? On their page there are only these few postgraduate courses mentioned even though on the GLA homepage for English L&L it says to turn to them.

I've been through every inch of GLA website a zillion times in search for answers but I remain confused when it comes to a few things, so I thank you in advance for the help :smile:

Cheers,

Eva

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending