The Student Room Group

Cooperative Young Drivers Insurance - Is anyone insured by them?

My dad's renewing his insurance next week, I've got the cheapest quote ever for a nissan micra, with my name included. I'm 18 passed my test around 7 months ago, My dad has 7 NCB. My quote is £645, they install this smartbox feature. I wanted to know more about it, if the results of the box keep on showing bad driving, can they void the insurance policy ? Don't want to drive bad obv, but in emergency situations, and what is good driving in their sense (apart from staying in the speed limit, and driving late nights)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would you drive bad in emergancy situations? >_> That makes no sense. An emergancy situation does not give you any right to drive like an idiot? Unless you mean when some tosser pulls out infront of you I don't see your reasoning.

And yes, if you drive like **** they will end up removing the policy but this is probably rare and you must be some pretty horrific things to get this far. They will just increase hte premium on a quarterly basis and yes, it will go up extremely fast if you do.

And good driving = Not breaking hard continuously aka, not slowing down in time for junctions, Not taking corners to fast, not taking roundabouts too fast, not speeding, that kind of things.

This is a safe driving policy.
This is evaluated by having a Smartbox installed in your car this will measure speed, acceleration/braking, cornering and the time of day that you drive.
Premiums are based on how safe a driver those on the policy are.

Premiums may go up or down during the term of your insurance depending on how safely the vehicle is being driven.
If you drive a lot during the night (e.g. night shift worker) your premium is likely to increase.
Your policy can be cancelled mid-term in the event of dangerous or excessive speeding should this happen this could affect you getting future car insurance.
The policy does not give provision to drive other vehicles on a ‘Third party’ basis.
Wunelli Limited will use some of the information collected by the Smartbox for non-insurance related purposes.
If you intend to change your vehicle before the renewal there is a charge of £90 plus any premium adjustment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Xyls
Why would you drive bad in emergancy situations? >_> That makes no sense. An emergancy situation does not give you any right to drive like an idiot? Unless you mean when some tosser pulls out infront of you I don't see your reasoning.

And yes, if you drive like **** they will end up removing the policy but this is probably rare and you must be some pretty horrific things to get this far. They will just increase hte premium on a quarterly basis and yes, it will go up extremely fast if you do.

And good driving = Not breaking hard continuously aka, not slowing down in time for junctions, Not taking corners to fast, not taking roundabouts too fast, not speeding, that kind of things.

I meant ,say you have to brake harshly, in some situation. Or take a sharp turn. I'm not saying im going to drive like a fool. Thanks for the information anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by bijesh12
I meant ,say you have to brake harshly, in some situation. Or take a sharp turn. I'm not saying im going to drive like a fool. Thanks for the information anyway.

Well, I'm going to assume they are going to realise that you will in some circumstances need to break hard and will probably look for your speed before that (to see if you are speeding) etc. And a sharp turn you will be expected to slow down for. Road speed =/= the speed you should be doing on it at all time, as you are taught you drive to the road conditions so sharp turns you will be expected to slow for.

also, ask your dad for the policy hand book it will have all the information in there.

And also to check, are you a 'named' driver? otherwise you shouldn't be driving the car more than 20% of the time as this will get your dads policy made invalid as its cheating the system - If you are pulled over and the police see schoolbooks/or evidence of you commuting they will inform the insurance company. (Saw this on an episode of motorway cops on bbc!)
Reply 4
Original post by Xyls
Well, I'm going to assume they are going to realise that you will in some circumstances need to break hard and will probably look for your speed before that (to see if you are speeding) etc. And a sharp turn you will be expected to slow down for. Road speed =/= the speed you should be doing on it at all time, as you are taught you drive to the road conditions so sharp turns you will be expected to slow for.

also, ask your dad for the policy hand book it will have all the information in there.

And also to check, are you a 'named' driver? otherwise you shouldn't be driving the car more than 20% of the time as this will get your dads policy made invalid as its cheating the system - If you are pulled over and the police see schoolbooks/or evidence of you commuting they will inform the insurance company. (Saw this on an episode of motorway cops on bbc!)

My dad's the main driver, me and my mum are named drivers. I would only be using the car at weekends just for social purposes, other than that very little use.
Reply 5
My dad's the main driver, me and my mum are named drivers. I would only be using the car at weekends just for social purposes, other than that very little use.

Should be fine then!
Reply 6
I'm currently with them, what do you want to know? it is simple don't drive like a **** and you'll be fine
Reply 7
I just got the smart box fit today. Not tested or anything lol. It's a pretty decent offer tbh. I pay £1015, named driver :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Doctor.
I just got the smart box fit today. Not tested or anything lol. It's a pretty decent offer tbh. I pay £1015, named driver :smile:

im getting mines installed on the 30th,i pay £635. Named driver ? Are you the main driver on the vehicle, or just an additional driver. My dads the main driver, me and my mum are just additional drivers.
Reply 9
I'm getting mines installed on the 30th,i pay £635. Named driver ? Are you the main driver on the vehicle, or just an additional driver. My dads the main driver, me and my mum are just additional drivers.

Same as you :smile:. My postcode isn't the best....Stupid chavs. :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by Doctor.
Same as you :smile:. My postcode isn't the best....Stupid chavs. :tongue:

LOL, where do you live.
Reply 11
Manchester :/. Technicality since I am JUST in the worst area possible. My next door neighbor is in the good place lol
Reply 12
Original post by Doctor.
Manchester :/. Technicality since I am JUST in the worst area possible. My next door neighbor is in the good place lol

lol, whats your whip ? I live in London, its bloody cheap for London ! I was getting stupid quotes of £4000, from other insurance companies.
Reply 13
lol, whats your whip ? I live in London, its bloody cheap for London ! I was getting stupid quotes of £4000, from other insurance companies.

I was getting around 4/5 too lol!! :P. That's with my family added etc. It's either this policy or nothing, hell no am I paying £4000. I just hope this box thing is good, still waiitng for it to start working atm.
sounds like some fronting going on here.
Reply 15
Original post by rogger_frogger
sounds like some fronting going on here.

nope no fronting. Coop do give considerably lower premiums than other car insurance companies ! The car registered under my dad's name, and im not the main driver !
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
nope no fronting. Coop do give considerably lower premiums than other car insurance companies ! The car registered under my dad's name, and im not the main driver !

What I did was I wrote down that I do more Milagros than my parents so yeah I'm not the main driver but they know I will be the person mainly in the car lol. So tbh its not fronting,had it confirmed :wink:
Forget being stalked, cornering forced/braking forces/acceleration forced/average speed/top speed EUGHHH

I can't stand it, I want freedom. I'll just wait a couple of years :smile:
Reply 18
So what about when you're on the motorway and driving at 70 mph - does the box take that into account? How would it know that you're speeding?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Forget being stalked, cornering forced/braking forces/acceleration forced/average speed/top speed EUGHHH

I can't stand it, I want freedom. I'll just wait a couple of years :smile:

It's actually not that bad really, did about an hour and a half driving yesterday and I got 5s all round. 4.67 on acc/breaking because I was doing it fast to check how sensitive the system it lol. Check the screen capture. Also if you want some tips on how to get the insurance cheaper than £1000. PM me :wink:.

Latest