The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any helpful mnemonics for general templates for history taking?

-PC
-HPC
-PMH
-FH
-DH
-Allergies
-SH

SOCRATES obviously for pain (and to a certain extent adaptable to most things) just wondered if people used any others instead of - or addition to Socrates :smile: Just don't want to miss anything in the nerves of an exam :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Is it a national thing? It's been briefly mentioned here but no dates yet and no idea of the significance.

I think it is, but I'm not really sure. It's just a pilot either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 262
Original post by Lionheartat20
Any helpful mnemonics for general templates for history taking?

-PC
-HPC
-PMH
-FH
-DH
-Allergies
-SH

SOCRATES obviously for pain (and to a certain extent adaptable to most things) just wondered if people used any others instead of - or addition to Socrates :smile: Just don't want to miss anything in the nerves of an exam :biggrin:

Practice, practice, practice!

I haven't got any tips, but I just want to point out the importance of a clear, thorough social history (I would probably put that up there before FHx/DHx/and maybe even PMHx.) With an increasingly aged population, a SHx puts everything into context much quicker.

In my current job (orthopaedics), when presenting patients to bosses (like #nofs), I always begin "MrsX is an eighty-something year old lady with a background of (significant medical history) and an AMTS of x/10 who lives in a (sheltered house/bungalow/RH/NH with no/OD/BD/QDS double-up care) and mobilises with a stick/zf/chair indoors and stick/zf outdoors)." This puts the rest of what I'm going to get across (PC/HPC/plan) into a much clearer context straight away - they can already be thinking about possible treatment options (THR/cemented hemi/uncemented hemi/conservative) and whether a senior anaesthetist/HDU/medical review is needed ASAP.
Got the morning off. Slept for a good 13 hours. Get on my level.
Reply 264
Original post by shiggydiggy
Got the morning off. Slept for a good 13 hours. Get on my level.

👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 265
So why do you get glossitis in anemia? I've been confused for years about that and can't seem to find anything anywhere about it.
Dr. Nexttime :cool:

Facebook is going absolutely ****ing crazy right now
Original post by nexttime

Yeeeahhhhhhh, congrats dude!!

Outstanding, buddy!
Reply 269
Original post by Tech
So why do you get glossitis in anemia? I've been confused for years about that and can't seem to find anything anywhere about it.

There is no answer and it's not exactly a high research priority to figure it out. I hate things like this. So irritating.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 270

PRSOM! Congratulations!

Have you guys heard about FY1 jobs yet? It seems to be later than usual.
Thanks everyone :smile:

Sadly, as i'm heading off on elective tomorrow, i'm gonna need to stay relatively sober :tongue:

Original post by Helenia
PRSOM! Congratulations!

Have you guys heard about FY1 jobs yet? It seems to be later than usual.

The academic posts have heard/are on waiting lists. I think normal posts only hear even deanery in March and actual jobs some weeks after that.
Original post by Tech

Many of the nail signs are complete mysteries too. You just have to accept it i think.

Congrats!!!
Wen out to drink with some bankerw*&kers and they were complaining about their bonuses being taxed at 50%...
Their bonus that they received after tax was more than I get in student loans for the year, that shu them up quite quickly and they proceeded to buy the rounds!
Original post by visesh
Practice, practice, practice!

I haven't got any tips, but I just want to point out the importance of a clear, thorough social history (I would probably put that up there before FHx/DHx/and maybe even PMHx.) With an increasingly aged population, a SHx puts everything into context much quicker.

In my current job (orthopaedics), when presenting patients to bosses (like #nofs), I always begin "MrsX is an eighty-something year old lady with a background of (significant medical history) and an AMTS of x/10 who lives in a (sheltered house/bungalow/RH/NH with no/OD/BD/QDS double-up care) and mobilises with a stick/zf/chair indoors and stick/zf outdoors)." This puts the rest of what I'm going to get across (PC/HPC/plan) into a much clearer context straight away - they can already be thinking about possible treatment options (THR/cemented hemi/uncemented hemi/conservative) and whether a senior anaesthetist/HDU/medical review is needed ASAP.

are you kidding? Your ortho bosses actually listen to a social history..?
Reply 276
You'd be surprised! They care more about that than the medical stuff to be honest.

Would rep if I could. Grats dude.
Reply 278
Just came across a video with potential Buckinghamshire medical school applicants. Can't believe a private med school will actually open in the UK. Personally I'm completely against it. Ridiculous.
Original post by hopes
Just came across a video with potential Buckinghamshire medical school applicants. Can't believe a private med school will actually open in the UK. Personally I'm completely against it. Ridiculous.

That's if they get GMC accreditation, which judging by their non-existent dental school is unlikely

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending