The Student Room Group

IMAT 29th April 2014 - Medicine in Italy

I have just decided to create a page for all the people that are going to attend this year's IMAT. I will probably sit it in London because its closer. Also, I would like to hear from people where in Italy they are going because I have not made up my mind yet :3

As always, any advice on prep materials is more than welcome.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ingridnicacio
I have just decided to create a page for all the people that are going to attend this year's IMAT. I will probably sit it in London because its closer. Also, I would like to hear from people where in Italy they are going because I have not made up my mind yet :3

As always, any advice on prep materials is more than welcome.

Hi :smile:

That's a great idea. I'm planning to take the IMAT this year and so far don't know anyone else sitting it in London. Do you know if there's a related facebook group for students in London? I think it would be really useful.
Reply 2
I don't but if you find any information relevant pls post it here (:
Reply 3
Hi.

I am applying to Italy this year (going to have to sit the exam in London - none in Ireland) was just wondering could you tell me if you can apply to more than 1 Italian University (I heard it's only 1).

Do you apply through EUNICAS?

Also what Universities are popular among British? Irish tend to go to Hungary!
Reply 4
From what I understand you have your first, second and third choice when u apply to do the imat and therefore to the unis.

Eunicas is an agency that helps you I think, am not sire how much and if they charge but I know you can certainly apply without them .

I would also like to know the influx of British students in the Italian unis as I wouldn't mind some people from here (even though am actually brazilian)
Reply 5
Hey

Is anyone thinking of going to or has been on the 3 week IMAT preparation course in Italy?

It costs 1780 euros so not sure whether it's worth it.
Hi guys,

I'm considering taking the IMAT this year and just wanted to know more about the physics and mathematics component of the exam. I've already started prepping for the general knowledge, critical thinking, biology and chemistry parts but I just wanted to know if any one knew of any resources that could help me out with the maths and physics. Like books, websites, youtube videos etc.

I never took either of these two subjects at A level so everything I've seen in the specification is all new to me. Are these topics even A level standard and will it be difficult as someone who has no maths/physics background to learn all this to a sufficient standard by the time the exam rolls around?
Original post by the_alybot
Hi guys,

I'm considering taking the IMAT this year and just wanted to know more about the physics and mathematics component of the exam. I've already started prepping for the general knowledge, critical thinking, biology and chemistry parts but I just wanted to know if any one knew of any resources that could help me out with the maths and physics. Like books, websites, youtube videos etc.

I never took either of these two subjects at A level so everything I've seen in the specification is all new to me. Are these topics even A level standard and will it be difficult as someone who has no maths/physics background to learn all this to a sufficient standard by the time the exam rolls around?

Hey,

I am facing the same situation as you are. Haven't done either subject after GCSE's.

I haven't gone through the math/physics components of the test well enough to tell you how difficult they are, but compared to the overall test, there are only a few questions relating to math and physics. But that being said, some of the problem solving components of the test does require some basic math. Its a little annoying if your bad at mental math like I am ( since they don't allow calculators), but i guess its doable :smile:
Hey guys,

I'm currently a 2nd year student in Italy. I took the IMAT the year before last but in my time you only had one choice to bet your life on.

Since last year, that has changed and now you can choose up to 3 university with the admissions taking your first choice and matching it with the scores you get and if your second choice uni still has places to fill up and you couldn't make it to the first one, they will automatically forward your app to that uni.

I'll be more than happy to answer your questions but let me share some useful tips with everyone;

-Learn some Italian even if just a little bit before you make your move as life here requires it.
-The IMAT is not so hard, brush up a little bit on maths, physics, Bio, and Chem... I'd say As level max.
-Main component is the English Analysis bit and that's nothing to worry about if English is your first language.
-You'll pay a fraction of the price you'll pay towards your education in the UK but expect a similar return in terms of help available etc... although I have to say they do treat us Brits with a bit of favouritism. That's how I feel at least.
-Many lecturers will have a horrible accent but as for the quality of their knowledge... well erm one can't complain really. I'm a graduate of a big name uni of London and I'm getting more help in Italy from the professors TBH.
-You need 3 GCSEs and three A-levels. I don't think it matters how much better than Cs you got in there as your admission test is your ticket through basically.
-After you sit your exam, I advise all of you to notiarsie your certificates, apostelle them, then take them to the consulate downtown in London to get the declaration of value DoV.
-You probably haven't heard this before, but some unis like La Sapienza will demand that you're present with your papers ready within three days of the offer (August I fink) to finalise your registration and enrolment so it would be ideal to have those things ready.

-If you want anything reply back here and I'll be happy to help whenever I can.

Ciao Ciao
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Brightregions
Hey guys,

I'm currently a 2nd year student in Italy. I took the IMAT the year before last but in my time you only had one choice to bet your life on.

Since last year, that has changed and now you can choose up to 3 university with the admissions taking your first choice and matching it with the scores you get and if your second choice uni still has places to fill up and you couldn't make it to the first one, they will automatically forward your app to that uni.

I'll be more than happy to answer your questions but let me share some useful tips with everyone;

-Learn some Italian even if just a little bit before you make your move as life here requires it.
-The IMAT is not so hard, brush up a little bit on maths, physics, Bio, and Chem... I'd say As level max.
-Main component is the English Analysis bit and that's nothing to worry about if English is your first language.
-You'll pay a fraction of the price you'll pay towards your education in the UK but expect a similar return in terms of help available etc... although I have to say they do treat us Brits with a bit of favouritism. That's how I feel at least.
-Many lecturers will have a horrible accent but as for the quality of their knowledge... well erm one can't complain really. I'm a graduate of a big name uni of London and I'm getting more help in Italy from the professors TBH.
-You need 3 GCSEs and three A-levels. I don't think it matters how much better than Cs you got in there as your admission test is your ticket through basically.
-After you sit your exam, I advise all of you to notiarsie your certificates, apostelle them, then take them to the consulate downtown in London to get the declaration of value DoV.
-You probably haven't heard this before, but some unis like La Sapienza will demand that you're present with your papers ready within three days of the offer (August I fink) to finalise your registration and enrolment so it would be ideal to have those things ready.

Ciao Ciao

Thanks for the advice , I was wondering if the consulate also do translations or if I'd have to get it done somewhere else ?
Reply 10
HI,
I want to register for IMAT 2014,but actually i don,t really know how and when should i do this?
would you please give me a step by step guideline?
I have one more question,do you know the registration date for non EU students for IMAT 2014,and when is the deadline for registration?
THANK YOU
Reply 11
Hi so basically you sign up on http://www.universitaly.it from March 3rd until April 3rd and during the process you pay £105 and you choose the best test centre for you, there arent many differences in applying as an eu or non eu at this point, only after when it comes to the allocation of places from the rankings.

If you need any more information check out http://medschool.it/admissions/170-imat-2014 this is like the best place for imat news and stuff (:

I hope this helps
Reply 12
hi, does anyone know if you can apply for the imat with predicted A2 grades because im still doing my A-levels and finishing them this summer? And do the unis accept predicted grades?
Reply 13
Original post by waqas123
hi, does anyone know if you can apply for the imat with predicted A2 grades because im still doing my A-levels and finishing them this summer? And do the unis accept predicted grades?

Hey
The Italian universities give u an offer based on your IMAT ranking score, so u can can apply regardless of what your grades are as long as you know your stuff in the IMAT to be offered a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hello there thanks for the information. I registered for the IMAT test on the universitaly website and it told me to choose six unis and so I did putting Milan as my first choice. I was just wondering what the application procedure is like? Like do I need to send any documents to the unis, do I need to translate my certificates into Italian?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Brightregions
Hey guys,

Ciao Ciao

Thanks v much for this Info its really helpful
Is the IMAT the only thing they need to give offers? Do we not need to fill in an application form and send them GCSE and A-level certificates? If so, do we need to get them translated into Italian and get them notarised? how can we apostle the certificates? I know that I have asked a lot of questions and I apologise, but your help would be really appreciated :smile:.
Reply 16
Hii i am planing to sit for IMat this year
Reply 17
I too will be taking the IMAT this year, better brush the dust off my old A level files! Admission is based almost entirely on the results of this test by what I have seen so far on the websites. Which books are you guys using?
Original post by 4hmed94
Thanks v much for this Info its really helpful
Is the IMAT the only thing they need to give offers? Do we not need to fill in an application form and send them GCSE and A-level certificates? If so, do we need to get them translated into Italian and get them notarised? how can we apostle the certificates? I know that I have asked a lot of questions and I apologise, but your help would be really appreciated :smile:.

You need the IMAT, your GCSEs and A-Levels. I just send you an email with all the steps you need to take so have a look at it and let me know if you need more info.

Ciao Ciao
Original post by Rhys Chuk
I too will be taking the IMAT this year, better brush the dust off my old A level files! Admission is based almost entirely on the results of this test by what I have seen so far on the websites. Which books are you guys using?

As long as you have GCSEs and A-levels then yes your entry depends on you IMAT score.

Make sure you notarise your certificates, apostille them, then take them to the Italian consulate to get the declaration of value. This is a must have that some unis will need in order to enrol you once you're successful. You'll have three days in order to accept your offer in which you must also enrol so having the docs ready will spare you much hussle.

-Don't worry so much about the test just brush up on your maths, physics, bio, and chem... I don't rate the stuff on the test to be higher than As level.

-The biggest chunk of the score will be from the English language section, and if you're familiar with the UKCAT...etc then you'll be fine.

-Choose your preferred uni wisely as the more popular the uni is the higher the cut off point will be. Milan, Pavia, and Sapienza are the most sought after (in that order too).

Past papers are on the web so have a look at them and practice them.

Best of luck,

brightregions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending