The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Information Management for Business 2014 entry

Hi! Anybody got an offer? Applied on 2nd January, still waiting but nothing strange as it takes long to hear back from UCL :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by eloo
Hi! Anybody got an offer? Applied on 2nd January, still waiting but nothing strange as it takes long to hear back from UCL :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, received an offer yesterday morning for this course!
I applied in mid December
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
So my time could be soon for either rejection or offer :biggrin:. Congratulations on your offer! Have you received any questionnaire? And also are you international applicant? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
thank you! & good luck, I'm sure you'll get an offer too :smile:
nope I haven't received a questionnaire, just got my offer through UCAS yesterday and UCL's offer letter in the post this morning.
I am British aha, I just live a few hours away from London :smile: you?
Reply 4
I'm Polish student :smile:. Your offer is AAB right?
I am a bit afraid of this programming modules as I have no wider experience in it.
Also hope to hear back something next week, as I have no offers/rejections yet so still pretty anxious about whole application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by eloo
I'm Polish student :smile:. Your offer is AAB right?
I am a bit afraid of this programming modules as I have no wider experience in it.
Also hope to hear back something next week, as I have no offers/rejections yet so still pretty anxious about whole application :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already finished college a few years ago so my offer is unconditional.
where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 6
Management at LSE, Business Management King's College, Business and Management Aston and Management Cass :smile:. And you? Are you firming UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
good choices! I've got Unconditional offers from Manchester, Lancaster and Leicester.

I've also applied that same course at King's College London, they're the only Uni that hasn't got back to me yet.
However, I'm going to firm UCL anyway.

Aston University? I done 1 year at University Of Birmingham (where I'm from), I'm sure you'd enjoy it here also. :smile:
Reply 8
What degree have you been doing there? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by eloo
What degree have you been doing there? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I done business management, I enjoyed the course but nothing else was going right for me at the time, so I decided to not continue to second year and reapply at a different uni this year :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Anita.V
Hi, received an offer yesterday morning for this course!
I applied in mid December

Can I ask how "IT-oriented" your statement is? I mean, I also applied for IMB at UCL, but my other choices are mainly management related, therefore my personal statement is mostly management oriented. I only wrote a line or two about IT.
Reply 11
Original post by balint186
Can I ask how "IT-oriented" your statement is? I mean, I also applied for IMB at UCL, but my other choices are mainly management related, therefore my personal statement is mostly management oriented. I only wrote a line or two about IT.

I wrote that I've set up a web page so that I can sell stuff online, that's probably the only thing I wrote that's relating to IT.
I've been to Uni for one year and out of education for one year so I just mostly wrote about that really and about my job.

Sorry I can't be much help :/
Reply 12
Original post by Anita.V
I wrote that I've set up a web page so that I can sell stuff online, that's probably the only thing I wrote that's relating to IT.
I've been to Uni for one year and out of education for one year so I just mostly wrote about that really and about my job.

Sorry I can't be much help :/

Thank you and congrats on your offer! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by balint186
Thank you and congrats on your offer! :smile:

aw thank you & good luck!!
Reply 14
Hey guys, I've done IMB for 4 years now at UCL so if you have any questions post them (Quote me too) here and I'll do my best to answer them!
Reply 15
Original post by jamz0770
Hey guys, I've done IMB for 4 years now at UCL so if you have any questions post them (Quote me too) here and I'll do my best to answer them!

How about programming related modules? Do you have to get basic knowledge before the course or there would be some introductary classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by eloo
How about programming related modules? Do you have to get basic knowledge before the course or there would be some introductary classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all taught from scratch so you don't need to worry. All I had was GCSE ICT where I spent most lessons messing around on word with friends and it was actually my highest scoring module in the first year so yeah no need to panic!

Hi. Are there a lot of essays to do (e.g. about economics/business) or is it mainly hands on practical coding? How would you describe your proficiency level in PHP/CSS/Java etc. after 4 years of IMB at UCL?
Reply 18

hey, so how did you find the course in general? work load? the exams etc?
Reply 19
Original post by Anita.V
hey, so how did you find the course in general? work load? the exams etc?

Really good to be honest, there is sometimes a misguided perception that its an 'easy' course which it is not. However if you get AAB at A-level you are more than capable of a 2.1/1st. In terms of workload etc however it has less to do than your engineering's/law etc which is a good thing. I was able to get really involved in a number of societies/extra curricular's as well as business project's and work experience which obviously helped when it came to getting jobs.

Most modules are about 50/50 coursework - Exam so it balances out depending on which you are better at. In general the exams are not TOO bad although the general ethos is people do no work for months on end and then over easter break and the weeks leading upto the exams everyone lives in the library.

Original post by iantehstudent
Hi. Are there a lot of essays to do (e.g. about economics/business) or is it mainly hands on practical coding? How would you describe your proficiency level in PHP/CSS/Java etc. after 4 years of IMB at UCL?

It's a good mix. Most modules that are business/econ focussed do have an essay so yeah you will have to write a few but most have word limits so they're not that bad. In finance/computer science work the coursework is obviously more practical with less essays but due to the split of the course I'd say the work is predominantly essay based.

My proficiency level is probably not representative of the course in all honesty. I did very well in my first two years of programming scoring high 1sts in both modules but since then (When we started to pick more of our own modules) I preferred studying finance so haven't done any coding since year two. That said I can still produce Java code and use VBA for excel but its personal preference really, some of the others took more coding modules and have gone on to work as programmers but its really upto you (One of the advantages of IMB is the flexibility) I always preferred the non technical side of IT like the agile development and scrum management etc. Quite possibly because my career aspirations have always leaned towards finance/management.

Let me know if I answered what you were looking for, if not please feel free to ask more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending