The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Anyone know a lot about bone pain?

I understand why you get it in sarcoma or myeloma - the periosteum is stretched because of the mass itself or oedema from resulting inflammation.

But can anyone explain why you get bone pain in hypercalcemia from other causes eg., primary hyper-PTH?
Original post by colabottles
Ouch, that sounds awful!! I've been slightly concerned as I realised I accidently missed a reference off in my methods... but it was more a thing of referencing the protocol of the database I used which was quite clear in my text anyway rather than someone else's idea so I'm hoping it might be okay :s-smilie:

Anyway thank you, I will try my best to enjoy it haha...! :tongue:

How did it go? All fine, I hope. How long do you have off now before CP1 induction?
Original post by Fission_Mailed
How did it go? All fine, I hope. How long do you have off now before CP1 induction?

Yeah it was really fine and I would probably go so far to say that I enjoyed it, completely unexpected haha! :tongue: Got a week off now which is gonna be great, we start on the 24th! :biggrin:
Original post by colabottles
Yeah it was really fine and I would probably go so far to say that I enjoyed it, completely unexpected haha! :tongue: Got a week off now which is gonna be great, we start on the 24th! :biggrin:

Told you. :tongue: What are you doing with the week off? I went home for a few days but plenty of people did some quite cool stuff.
Original post by shiggydiggy
So I'm gonna be in the out-back-and-beyond for a couple months soon with no internet and nay much but the hospital to keep me company.

Tips on staying sane? I'm currently loading up my HDD with TV/films.

Massive hard drive of movies
Get a kindle - lots and lots of kindle books!
Download some games onto your laptop to play
Also I dunno where you are going but have a look on couchsurfing as there are always people there to meet with (it's how I met people from working abroad)
Also the main thing is just wander the area and find the locals and just go and sit in a bar/shack or something - very easy to do in Asia, and take a pack of cards... most useful thing.
I worked for 2 months on a deployment being the only white girl in the area and got to know all the locals etc by playing cards and dominos - it was great!
Told you. :tongue: What are you doing with the week off? I went home for a few days but plenty of people did some quite cool stuff.

Unfortunately I'm hibernating this week before clinicals but I did just go to London for the night to see Britain's Got Talent auditions which was about as exciting as my adventures get :tongue: Some people in my year seem to be doing some really awesome things too though, lots of travelling going on!
65 y/o 1week post TURP comes in having been found drowsy and 'unwell'. Creatinine 1750 K 9.1 CK 400. He is passing small amounts of bright red fluid through his catheter. 1 week later and he is well hydrated, his potassium is being kept down with meds and creatinine is about 1300 but clinically he is more confused, still passing small amounts of red urine. Imaging is not available here. What is going on?
Original post by nexttime
65 y/o 1week post TURP comes in having been found drowsy and 'unwell'. Creatinine 1750 K 9.1 CK 400. He is passing small amounts of bright red fluid through his catheter. 1 week later and he is well hydrated, his potassium is being kept down with meds and creatinine is about 1300 but clinically he is more confused, still passing small amounts of red urine. Imaging is not available here. What is going on?

inb4 everything was a red herring and his CK was actually from an ACS.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 448
Original post by nexttime

Assuming that someone has actually flushed his catheter and it's not just clot retention causing post-renal renal failure?
Original post by Helenia
Assuming that someone has actually flushed his catheter and it's not just clot retention causing post-renal renal failure?

I thought that might be too obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 450
Original post by carcinoma
I thought that might be too obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah, but it's not been explicitly excluded, and common things are common blahblahblah.

In other news, it is incredibly convenient that my week off post-nights coincides with the release of the Game of Thrones S3 boxset...
(edited 10 years ago)
First day on my Dermatology firm. In clinic:

Consultant: What is this lesion?
Me: *tentatively* erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: Erm, not quite. Good guess. Ok. we'll try the next one.

*a while later*

Consultant: What about this one?
Me: *even more tentatively* erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: *angrier tone than before* No, it not.

*a while later*

Consultant: This lesion?
Me: *as tentative as you can possibly imagine* erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: Ok, you can't just guess, you know!
Me: *awkward laughter*

*a while later*

Consultant: Ok, and this one?
Me: *looks awkwardly from side to side*
Consultant: Ok, you have to give me something.
Me: erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: Yes, it is! But you got lucky with that one.

Take home messages:
1. If at first you don't succeed, try and try and try and try again.
2. Dermatology is NOT for me Like, seriously NOT for me.
Original post by Medicine Man
First day on my Dermatology firm. In clinic:

Consultant: What is this lesion?
Me: *tentatively* erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: Erm, not quite. Good guess. Ok. we'll try the next one.

*a while later*

Consultant: What about this one?
Me: *even more tentatively* erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: *angrier tone than before* No, it not.

*a while later*

Consultant: This lesion?
Me: *as tentative as you can possibly imagine* erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: Ok, you can't just guess, you know!
Me: *awkward laughter*

*a while later*

Consultant: Ok, and this one?
Me: *looks awkwardly from side to side*
Consultant: Ok, you have to give me something.
Me: erm, seborrhoeic keratoses?
Consultant: Yes, it is! But you got lucky with that one.

Take home messages:
1. If at first you don't succeed, try and try and try and try again.
2. Dermatology is NOT for me Like, seriously NOT for me.

Haha, identical to my derm efforts.

I don't get derm at all. You can have the same condition look completely different in 20 patients. **** that.
Reply 453
Hi guys, need your advice on this.

I've been offered a chance to join a pretty large scale epidemiological research project. The research topic interests me and it's a really good opportunity but I guess I'm afraid of taking it up considering that I've absolutely no research experience at all and this is a large one so I'm not sure how I will be able to cope. Also I'm not exactly sure what my role would entail, the professor who offered this chance simply told me that the entire team would meet up to discuss about my role. I'm not sure if I would oly be helping in all the mundane tasks or be able to do pretty exciting stuff like writing a paper and presenting (Haha ok it may not be that exciting)

So just would like to seek your opinions on whether I should take this up :smile:
Reply 454
Original post by Ergo

I've been offered a chance to join a pretty large scale epidemiological research project. The research topic interests me and it's a really good opportunity but I guess I'm afraid of taking it up considering that I've absolutely no research experience at all and this is a large one so I'm not sure how I will be able to cope. Also I'm not exactly sure what my role would entail, the professor who offered this chance simply told me that the entire team would meet up to discuss about my role. I'm not sure if I would oly be helping in all the mundane tasks or be able to do pretty exciting stuff like writing a paper and presenting (Haha ok it may not be that exciting)

So just would like to seek your opinions on whether I should take this up :smile:

If it's a large-scale project, you almost certainly wouldn't be writing the paper. You may be one of the names in the author list and you may get the opportunity to present the work somewhere. These are both excellent end-results.

Don't turn your nose up at the mundane tasks. You walk before you run, et c.
Original post by Ergo

Opportunities like that are few and far between. If the subject of the study interests you then do it, that will be enough to motivate you to trawl through endless laboratory results and patient notes to collect data or any other mundane tasks.

So I would say give it a go, but make sure you are still able to keep up with the rest of your studies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everything suddenly began to feel very real today. We've had our elective and medical assistantship dates confirmed, the year above finished their finals this morning and there are documents on the intranet containing phrases like "your employing trust".
Everything suddenly began to feel very real today. We've had our elective and medical assistantship dates confirmed, the year above finished their finals this morning and there are documents on the intranet containing phrases like "your employing trust".

Excited?
Why does A and E feel like protocol after protocol after protocol? Maybe I'm being a negative but it just seems like protocol after protocol after protocol.....

Nonetheless, it must be done and gotta be done well!
Reply 459
Original post by KenGosgrove
Why does A and E feel like protocol after protocol after protocol? Maybe I'm being a negative but it just seems like protocol after protocol after protocol.....

Nonetheless, it must be done and gotta be done well!

Welcome to medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending