The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by techno836
No it was just a possiblilty mention on the HYMS thread as some applicants were given offers without interview last week :s-smilie: i'm definatley not sure what is happening :s-smilie:

well its true they did that (are you applicant too?) but I doubt they will quit interviews. Probably there wont be automatic interview policy for 2015 cycle as this is why they were *forced* to give offer without interviews
Original post by Aniaa
well its true they did that (are you applicant too?) but I doubt they will quit interviews. Probably there wont be automatic interview policy for 2015 cycle as this is why they were *forced* to give offer without interviews

No but it will be one of my choices, i hope so because not having interview will probably require a VERY high UKCAT and the way my practice is going it's not looking too great at the minute :lol:

what about you are you an applicant or in y12 ? (or at med school even :smile: )
Reply 1142
No but it will be one of my choices, i hope so because not having interview will probably require a VERY high UKCAT and the way my practice is going it's not looking too great at the minute :lol:

what about you are you an applicant or in y12 ? (or at med school even :smile: )

im an applicant :smile:. I applied to HYMS and had my interview which basicaly put me on disadvantage :/. Why do you want to apply to HYMS?
Original post by Aniaa
im an applicant :smile:. I applied to HYMS and had my interview which basicaly put me on disadvantage :/. Why do you want to apply to HYMS?

I don't want to go too far from home really :smile:

do you have a campus preference ?
Reply 1144
I don't want to go too far from home really :smile:

do you have a campus preference ?

not really
I'm a re-applicant in the 2014 cycle, this year I've had 4 interviews (King's, Barts, Nottingham and Leicester), happy to answer any questions that you guys may have.
Original post by anastasiasays
Hi all,

Hopefully applying for Medicine this year, although hating UKCAT (probably going to go down the route of more BMAT orientated unis - Cambridge/ UCL)

Although it's near impossible to get much work experience! How is everyone finding it?

Try Medify or Kaplan. :wink:
Original post by PocketMerlin
I'm a re-applicant in the 2014 cycle, this year I've had 4 interviews (King's, Barts, Nottingham and Leicester), happy to answer any questions that you guys may have.

Heyy! What's ur stats nd W.E nd volunteering??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ghost_rebel
Heyy! What's ur stats nd W.E nd volunteering??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :smile:

Stats:
UKCAT- 752.5
A-Levels (achieved): A*AAabc, plus distinction in Young Enterprise Level 3
GCSE: 9A*, 2A, plus distinction in Young Enterprise Level 2

Work Experience:
- 2 days on medical wards (mostly on stroke unit) in a hospital
- 2 days on surgical wards (focus on orthopaedics) in a hospital
- 1 week on mental health unit in a local care home
- 2 days in an SEN school
- 1 day in "life sciences" lab (carrying out PCR, ect)
- Currently work as a bank porter in my local hospital, frequently work in A&E and in X-Ray department, with clinical exposure throughout the hospital

Volunteering:
- 10 months (and ongoing) volunteering at a care home for the blind, helping blind/visually impaired people with craft club activities
- 7 months (and ongoing) volunteering at my local Food Bank, meeting and talking to clients
- 7 months volunteering at the cafe in a disability charity centre

Extra Curricular:
- Extended Project Qualification (Title: "Should Cannabis Be Legalised in the UK?")
- 2 years in Young Enterprise, 1 year as Marketing Director, 1 year as Managing Director, got through to county finals.
- 1 year as Students' Union Communications Officer at my sixth form college
- As part of Student's Union role, I was also the student rep at sixth form Equality and Diversity meetings
- Organised and ran as part of the Students' Union an Anthony Nolan Registration Event (with a charity named Alice's Escapes also)
- Prefect in secondary school
Original post by pinkgorilla
Oh really? Well done, that's awesome. :smile:
Im looking into birmingham cos my school advised me to apply there, but i aint too sure.
What are your stats like ? :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: I really like Birmingham, and I think you're quite likely to get an interview there as long as you've got pretty good academics.
My stats are:
GCSEs 9A*s 1A
AS aaaa
A2 predictions A*A*A*A*
(UKCAT 790, but that's not relevant for Birmingham)

Why does your school think you should apply there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PocketMerlin
No problem. :smile:

Stats:
UKCAT- 752.5
A-Levels (achieved): A*AAabc, plus distinction in Young Enterprise Level 3
GCSE: 9A*, 2A, plus distinction in Young Enterprise Level 2

Work Experience:
- 2 days on medical wards (mostly on stroke unit) in a hospital
- 2 days on surgical wards (focus on orthopaedics) in a hospital
- 1 week on mental health unit in a local care home
- 2 days in an SEN school
- 1 day in "life sciences" lab (carrying out PCR, ect)
- Currently work as a bank porter in my local hospital, frequently work in A&E and in X-Ray department, with clinical exposure throughout the hospital

Volunteering:
- 10 months (and ongoing) volunteering at a care home for the blind, helping blind/visually impaired people with craft club activities
- 7 months (and ongoing) volunteering at my local Food Bank, meeting and talking to clients
- 7 months volunteering at the cafe in a disability charity centre

Extra Curricular:
- Extended Project Qualification (Title: "Should Cannabis Be Legalised in the UK?")
- 2 years in Young Enterprise, 1 year as Marketing Director, 1 year as Managing Director, got through to county finals.
- 1 year as Students' Union Communications Officer at my sixth form college
- As part of Student's Union role, I was also the student rep at sixth form Equality and Diversity meetings
- Organised and ran as part of the Students' Union an Anthony Nolan Registration Event (with a charity named Alice's Escapes also)
- Prefect in secondary school

Wow!:redface: thanks for sharing! Nd good luck on ur applications! :smile:
Original post by Aniaa
not really

where else did you apply ? :smile:
Reply 1152
where else did you apply ? :smile:

Notts, Aberdeen and BSMS. I have only Notts left now xd
Original post by woodpecker
Thanks :smile: I really like Birmingham, and I think you're quite likely to get an interview there as long as you've got pretty good academics.
My stats are:
GCSEs 9A*s 1A
AS aaaa
A2 predictions A*A*A*A*
(UKCAT 790, but that's not relevant for Birmingham)

Why does your school think you should apply there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, Awesome.
Those are such great stats. My careers adviser said that with my gcses, i could stand a chance. I got 8A*s 2As 1B at GCSE.
What alevels did you do btw? and how did you practice for the ukcat?
Original post by pinkgorilla
Oh wow, Awesome.
Those are such great stats. My careers adviser said that with my gcses, i could stand a chance. I got 8A*s 2As 1B at GCSE.
What alevels did you do btw? and how did you practice for the ukcat?

Yeah you'd definitely stand a very good chance with those GCSEs as long as you get good grades at AS :smile: but make sure that you look into what the course is like and stuff, because you need to make sure that you would actually like studying at the places you apply.

I do biology, chemistry, german and maths. I didn't really do that much revision for the UKCAT. I kind of forgot about it until a week before I took it (oops!) and so spent a few days just doing loads of practice questions. I had also done a few questions during half term when I got bored of AS revision, so I knew which sections I needed to do the most practice on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey peeps :smile: I'm a 2014 entry applicant too so if you have any questions quote me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1156
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hey peeps :smile: I'm a 2014 entry applicant too so if you have any questions quote me :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! How's it been going so far (and what were your stats, work exp. vol. like?)
Original post by jamesa5
Nice! How's it been going so far (and what were your stats, work exp. vol. like?)

Originally Posted by KimSmith1234

I did biology, chemistry, maths and physics at AS (AAAB) plus an EPQ (A*).
Gcse - 7A* 4A
Ukcat - 733

Work experience etc

- 1 week paediatrics
- 1 week vascular surgery
- I have a part time job in a GP surgery
- Shadowed GP
- Volunteer at care home (about 8 months when applying)
- beaver scout unit volunteer/young leader (2 years when applying)
- Part of patient participation group at my GP practice
- St. John Ambulance (just over a year, completed all my adult training)
- Led a charity christmas shoebox venture

Also things like senior prefect, subject prefect, year 7 prefect, library assistant plus extra curricular activities like hockey and baking

Hope that's of help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gcse - 7A* 4A
Ukcat - 733

Work experience etc

- 1 week paediatrics
- Shadowed GP

Also things like senior prefect, subject prefect, year 7 prefect, library assistant plus extra curricular activities like hockey and baking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow thats a great profile! What unis have u applied to??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gcse - 7A* 4A
Ukcat - 733

Work experience etc

- 1 week paediatrics
- Shadowed GP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great stats. And nice alevel grades. When did you start revising ? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending