The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauraaaaa
Why do they do that?

I believe it's due to insurance purposes if you've passed, and if you've failed, most people are generally in too much of a state to drive.

Plus they'd basically be giving you a free lesson on your drive home :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shorty94
I believe it's due to insurance purposes if you've passed, and if you've failed, most people are generally in too much of a state to drive.

Plus they'd basically be giving you a free lesson on your drive home :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, thanks
Reply 2702
Actually the instructor drives you home :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg passed my test on my third go with 8 minors I still can't believe it I had the same examiner as last time soo lucky coz she was lovely I actually thought she was gonna fail me again but glad I passed finally phewwww! You guys don't lose hope keep trying u will pass today or tomorrow good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more common for them to rather than not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2705
It's more common for them to rather than not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what exactly are you basing that on?

And even if it was true, you're clearly agreeing that it happens sometimes - so surely since it's a problem for Charl-ram it's far better for her to have a pleasant surprise if she does get driven home, rather than her having an accident because you're determined your dubious claims are right.
Original post by Juno
And what exactly are you basing that on?

And even if it was true, you're clearly agreeing that it happens sometimes - so surely since it's a problem for Charl-ram it's far better for her to have a pleasant surprise if she does get driven home, rather than her having an accident because you're determined your dubious claims are right.

I was putting across a different point of view, no need to be such a bitch about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2707
I was putting across a different point of view, no need to be such a bitch about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're putting across a completely unhelpful point of view, without offering any proof or even saying why you believe that. Since I asked for proof and you've resorted to name calling you clearly don't have any proof anyway.
Original post by Juno
You're putting across a completely unhelpful point of view, without offering any proof or even saying why you believe that. Since I asked for proof and you've resorted to name calling you clearly don't have any proof anyway.

How is it unhelpful? I was merely saying that it's more common for instructors to drive their students home after a test. And it's just my personal experience, as well as everyone else I've known.

Anyone else care to weigh in about their experience after their test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2709
How is it unhelpful? I was merely saying that it's more common for instructors to drive their students home after a test. And it's just my personal experience, as well as everyone else I've known.

Anyone else care to weigh in about their experience after their test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was unhelpful because Charl-ram can only drive for an hour, and you're trying to insist she won't have to drive home. If you're wrong then you could kill someone.

Yeah, you're gonna say I'm exaggerating, but everyone apart from you has realised the danger here. You just want to pick up on one small thing you can't prove (and which, btw, previous threads on tsr don't back you up on either :wink:) and it just seems to be because you want to prove me wrong and call me immature names.
Original post by Juno
It was unhelpful because Charl-ram can only drive for an hour, and you're trying to insist she won't have to drive home. If you're wrong then you could kill someone.

Yeah, you're gonna say I'm exaggerating, but everyone apart from you has realised the danger here. You just want to pick up on one small thing you can't prove (and which, btw, previous threads on tsr don't back you up on either :wink:) and it just seems to be because you want to prove me wrong and call me immature names.

No need to be so rude. This thread is supposed to be a help thread and all I ever see is you getting on your high horse arguing with someone (it's been me before) about the smallest things.
Original post by TupacShakur
Not gonna lie dude, I can understand where your instructor comes from, you need to remember that driving is more than passing a test, it's like learning a new language, you do as much as you can, not because you have an exam,

HOWEVER

Driving comes with experience, and as you get older and more road wise you will have better mental stamina, you will be tired for a while, but not too long,

Good luck and pass first time mate!

Yeah I know what he's saying is right, but I don't know how i'll overcome this problem myself, he shouts at me when I switch off and that's definitely not helping matters. Because I then start to drive like I possibility don't give a toss, as in my head im angry lol.
Thanks mate! I'll try my best - has to be good enough this time i hope, :redface:
Reply 2712
Original post by lauraaaaa
No need to be so rude. This thread is supposed to be a help thread and all I ever see is you getting on your high horse arguing with someone (it's been me before) about the smallest things.

I'm not being rude, and I'm being far more helpful that anyone else here - you're definitely not being helpful :rolleyes:

And if it's "all you see" then you either have a selective memory, are wearing blinkers, or are lying.
Original post by Juno
I'm not being rude, and I'm being far more helpful that anyone else here - you're definitely not being helpful :rolleyes:

And if it's "all you see" then you either have a selective memory, are wearing blinkers, or are lying.

Because that post was so helpful and not rude :wink:
Original post by Juno
Well,what do you want to do? Do you want to try to sort it first, or pass knowing your driving skills are severely limited?

It's also worth considering the test day - most people have a lesson first and then drive home after, so even though the test is 40 mins the actual driving will be more.

What are you intending to do when you pass? Are you driving mainly to the shops - which is short journeys only? Or are you planning a long daily commute? If you can stick to short journeys at first you'll probably find you get better and can drive for longer soon anyway. It might also just be the stress of being in "a lesson" that's affecting you.

But if you do need to do any long journeys, at least you're aware of your problem. You can plan lots of rest breaks - make them part of the planned schedule, so you won't feel it's making you late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want to pass yeah, but I want to be safe at the same time. It will probably be short journeys to shops and stuff to start with, i wouldn't immediately go straight into driving anywhere over 40miles lol, not a hope when i pass my test. il be too scared too. Thanks for the idea about the rest breaks, might ask him next time to have a 5 minute breather in between the 2 hours to help me concentrate more.
Hahaha my instructor never drove me home before :confused:
parents always lifted me from the test centre lawl
Reply 2716
Just failed mine :frown:
It was a hill junction, as the lights changed my leg started shaking REALLY BAD it wouldn't stop and I saw the examiners face :/
I managed to stall 3 times I just wanted to get out the car there and then and run 4 miles home!

Oh and I nearly died because some maniac decided to cut in front of me
Reply 2717
There is a very high chance I will be officially be able to join the gang in 12 hours! :biggrin: Honestly, this time last week I wouldn't have been surprised at the thought of walking out the test centre with 0 minors but it seems the nerves have well and truly kicked in and I've lost the ability to do the most basic things.

Anyone any advice on how not to freak out (or know of any good pills that don't hinder one's ability to drive)? That is a joke... unless you do know of some, in which case ...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SNR
There is a very high chance I will be officially be able to join the gang in 12 hours! :biggrin: Honestly, this time last week I wouldn't have been surprised at the thought of walking out the test centre with 0 minors but it seems the nerves have well and truly kicked in and I've lost the ability to do the most basic things.

Anyone any advice on how not to freak out (or know of any good pills that don't hinder one's ability to drive)? That is a joke... unless you do know of some, in which case ...

Take some deep breath before you start the test :smile:

Just remember that everything you're going to do you've already done countless times in your lessons.

It might help you to start a conversation with the examiner, I did during my test and it really put me at ease!
Good luck
I'd just like to give everyone a cookie for even attempting to drive in England. Passing a driver's test in California makes one think they can maaaaybe handle European roads. Nope.

Nope.

Latest

Trending

Trending