The Student Room Group

Am I going to fail my Tort module?

I've got my coursework mark for Tort and it is rubbish. Its worth 25% of the final grade and I got 45 - yes I know its rubbish - it was an oral coursework and I let my nerves take over.
To find out my exact coursework grade I need to find out what 45% of 25% is.

I've also had an online test which is worth 5% and i got a score of 70.

I'm revising so hard for this Tort exam - I've read a lot of journal articles for further academic opinion but the coursework mark has completely made me doubt whether I'll even pass.
45% of 25% = 100(0.45*0.25) which is roughly 11%. You got the equivalent of 3.5% for the online test so you're on about 14.5%. So you have 70% of marks left available. Maximum of 84.5%, minimum of 14.5%, and to achieve a 'pass' of 30%, you need a little over 20% on the rest. If a pass is 40%, it's about 35% you need off the top of my head. Easily achievable.

If it helps, keep posting here with anything you struggle with - and I'll offer some advice to focus on pure economic loss in negligence (i.e. the Hedley Byrne v Heller branch of cases) - it's complex but if you know it well you can easily impress examiners. While you're doing that you may as well get tip-top on the rest of negligence, though you could probably skip out psychiatric injury etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
45% of 25% = 100(0.45*0.25) which is roughly 11%. You got the equivalent of 3.5% for the online test so you're on about 14.5%. So you have 70% of marks left available. Maximum of 84.5%, minimum of 14.5%, and to achieve a 'pass' of 30%, you need a little over 20% on the rest. If a pass is 40%, it's about 35% you need off the top of my head. Easily achievable.

If it helps, keep posting here with anything you struggle with - and I'll offer some advice to focus on pure economic loss in negligence (i.e. the Hedley Byrne v Heller branch of cases) - it's complex but if you know it well you can easily impress examiners. While you're doing that you may as well get tip-top on the rest of negligence, though you could probably skip out psychiatric injury etc.

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am working so hard…the coursework i had was an oral in which we had to argue why an injunction should be granted…it was just awful…i have never got such a low mark and it really shock me lol.

Law is tooo stressful.

I am planning to revising pure economic loss. If you don't mind can you give me a brief structure of pure economic loss if i had to answer an essay question on? I had a lecture on it but now a workshop/seminar…my uni focused more on psychiatric harm. I was looking at the past exam papers and there are essay questions on pure economic loss.

Once again thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Depends what the question is, clearly. And to be honest, I don't remember economic loss that well, it's been a while since I studied any tort, I just remembered it was both conceptually debatable (which makes for good answers to essay questions) while having some clear rules (which helps in problem questions).
Reply 4
Depends what the question is, clearly. And to be honest, I don't remember economic loss that well, it's been a while since I studied any tort, I just remembered it was both conceptually debatable (which makes for good answers to essay questions) while having some clear rules (which helps in problem questions).

No worries.

I need some general advise about revising for tort. At my uni we have 9 topics, 6 questions in the exam in which we have to answer 2. I really dislike essay questions….i think it's sometimes the way they word it which kinda confuses me….i prefer scenario questions. Honestly, do you think it will be stupid if I revise all 9 topics but only as scenario based?
Usually, there are 3 scenario questions and 3 essay questions in the exam.
Reply 5

Would you be able to tell me what percentage roughly i would need to get a 2:1 overall for tort? When I calculated it myself I need about 70% in the exam…i think i calculated it completely wrong tbh…I followed this post that was put up on how to work out ho many marks you need etc…in yahoo answers.
(0.25 * 0.45) + (0.05 * 0.7) = 0.1475

Need 0.6 - 0.1475 = 0.4525 more to get a 2:1, out of 70% available.

0.4525 / 0.7 = 64.6%. So 65% or more in the exam will get you a 2:1.
Reply 7
Original post by Forum User
(0.25 * 0.45) + (0.05 * 0.7) = 0.1475

Need 0.6 - 0.1475 = 0.4525 more to get a 2:1, out of 70% available.

0.4525 / 0.7 = 64.6%. So 65% or more in the exam will get you a 2:1.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest