The Student Room Group

Thinking of studying medicine in Bangladesh or India

Hi i'm currently doing my A-levels and would really like to study medicine in the future but don't believe its possible in the UK as i messed up my GCSE's so was thinking of doing it abroad somewhere like Bangladesh or India.

would really appreciate any advice on this and whether you think its a good idea or not and whether ill still be able to return to the UK and work here

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by sophie_s96
Hi i'm currently doing my A-levels and would really like to study medicine in the future but don't believe its possible in the UK as i messed up my GCSE's so was thinking of doing it abroad somewhere like Bangladesh or India.

would really appreciate any advice on this and whether you think its a good idea or not and whether ill still be able to return to the UK and work here

Thanks

If you don't know anybody in those countries it might be a bit hard to adjust, unless you are south asian yourself :turban:

Why not try other places in Europe? I know people with B's and C's at A-level who got places in Europe where the degrees are accepted here :smile:
Reply 2
Remember as an international student who you to pay the fees yourself, and its not cheap in Europe I know it costs around £10000 a year after including living cots, flights etc.
Reply 3
Original post by TheBBQ
If you don't know anybody in those countries it might be a bit hard to adjust, unless you are south asian yourself :turban:

Why not try other places in Europe? I know people with B's and C's at A-level who got places in Europe where the degrees are accepted here :smile:

im can speak and understand bengali so i dot think that will be a major issue for me
oh really do you know the names of these unis or what country by any chance?
Reply 4
Original post by akash11
Remember as an international student who you to pay the fees yourself, and its not cheap in Europe I know it costs around £10000 a year after including living cots, flights etc.

yeh thats the major issue i have with studying within Europe i cant afford the tuition fees and then theres all the living costs aswell
Reply 5
im can speak and understand bengali so i dot think that will be a major issue for me
oh really do you know the names of these unis or what country by any chance?

Romania and Ukraine namely. The eastern euro countries are like this but obviously be careful as a non white person.

Check the internet if degrees from Bangladesh or India are recognised here though. As it makes more sense for you to go there due to your background :smile:
I don't know about India, but I really do not recommend studying medicine in Bangladesh. The working language in Bangladesh is Bengali/Bangla and the majority of the population cannot speak a word of English. Unless you are a Bangladeshi, you'll find it very difficult to study medicine there.

EDIT: Sorry just realised you can speak Bengali! ^Ignore above. :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by TheBBQ
Romania and Ukraine namely. The eastern euro countries are like this but obviously be careful as a non white person.

Check the internet if degrees from Bangladesh or India are recognised here though. As it makes more sense for you to go there due to your background :smile:

What do you mean?
Original post by Stickman
What do you mean?

The Eastern European countries are really racist compared with this one.
I don't really understand what the point is.

Just do something else.

You are going to do medicine in a foreign country for 5 years. Be saddled with a huge amount of debt. You probably won't be allowed to come back to the UK.

After that, your pay won't even be that good, unless you manage to get into the US and go private.
Reply 10
What do you mean?

Countries such as romania and ukraine do not usually get black or brown people as visitors so some may hold racial views against them. Also, in some areas of russia, neo-nazi gangs are about too, so perhaps the same with other ex-soviet states. I have never been there myself but I would be careful. Especially with all the tension going on in ukraine right now!

Things like this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/video-asian-students-attacked-at-euro-851614
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by yo radical one
The Eastern European countries are really racist compared with this one.

Original post by TheBBQ
Countries such as romania and ukraine do not usually get black or brown people as visitors so some may hold racial views against them. Also, in some areas of russia, neo-nazi gangs are about too, so perhaps the same with other ex-soviet states. I have never been there myself but I would be careful. Especially with all the tension going on in ukraine right now!

Things like this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/video-asian-students-attacked-at-euro-851614

I understand, thanks. I genuinely wasn't aware of that before today.

Of course right now in Ukraine even foreign white people shouldn't go there, let alone brown people!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
I understand, thanks. I genuinely wasn't aware of that before today.

Of course right now in Ukraine even foreign white people shouldn't go there, let alone brown people!

Yeah. I say that if people of your skin colour are not very prominent in the country of visit, then take extra care as the natives may hold assumptions about you and might not be educated about your people and would believe stereotypes..

Exactly!
You'd honestly be better off doing something else and then transferring to med/doing grad med.

Medicine in those countries is TOUGH. One of my Canadian cousins did medicine in India as she couldn't get onto a course here or in Canada and she said it was incredibly difficult. People there only do medicine when they get 100% in absolutely everything, if you messed up your GCSEs you'll find it very hard to keep up with the type of students there... She ended up taking 7 years to complete her course instead of 4/5.

And I'm pretty sure you need to sit a certain test if you want to practise here, the UK version of the USMLE (The American test you need to pass if you want to practise in the USA)

Doing grad med would probably be a hell lot cheaper as well
Reply 14
Have you looked at extended programs?
Reply 15

Thanks

Look into the medical school in Plovdiv, bulgaria. My sister is studying medicine there and she's enjoying it. There is a good mix of people, racism isn't an issue, Plovdiv is a safe city with fairly low crime rates, low living costs and tuition fees are cheaper too.
Reply 16
thanks everyone

i was just wondering whether i have any hopes with these grades:

Maths- A*
Core science- A
Add science- A*
Eng lang- C
Eng lit- B
B.S- B
I.T.- A
Statistics- A
Geography- A*
History- B
R.S- A*

as would like to get into the under grad programme rather than grad
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tania<3
You'd honestly be better off doing something else and then transferring to med/doing grad med.

Medicine in those countries is TOUGH. One of my Canadian cousins did medicine in India as she couldn't get onto a course here or in Canada and she said it was incredibly difficult. People there only do medicine when they get 100% in absolutely everything, if you messed up your GCSEs you'll find it very hard to keep up with the type of students there... She ended up taking 7 years to complete her course instead of 4/5.

And I'm pretty sure you need to sit a certain test if you want to practise here, the UK version of the USMLE (The American test you need to pass if you want to practise in the USA)

Doing grad med would probably be a hell lot cheaper as well

This. Indian students stamina and the amount of work they put in is on a completely different level, I dont think a student from here would be able to cope going there.
Reply 18

Thanks

Don't know if you here now or not but if you're here I just wanna know how life's treating you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending