The Student Room Group

How bad is weed for you?

Scroll to see replies

While I couldn't find the original source of your article, I took it upon myself to search for more recent and a larger cohort study.

"Cox regression analyses (n = 44,284) found that such "heavy" cannabis smoking was significantly associated with more than a twofold risk (hazard ratio 2.12, 95 % CI 1.08-4.14) of developing lung cancer over the 40-year follow-up period, even after statistical adjustment for baseline tobacco use, alcohol use, respiratory conditions, and socioeconomic status."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23846283

I'm not up to date with the arguments behind weed legislation, I'm aware that weed also contains various carcinogenic agents, which is what I was basing my views on.
Don't smoke weed myself, but know/hang about with alot of people that do.
Of all the people I know/am friends with that smoke weed, I dont see any obvious effect of it on them. Except when they look completely high.
Original post by Moosferatu
Urgh. These moralist arguments. Do you have any idea what happens in real life with drugs? A lack of government regulation, a lack of standardised measurements, a society that frowns upon drug use and forces users to be dishonest about their consumption, results in more harm than you could imagine. Drugs on the streets are adulterated. Cannabis is sprayed with glass or pressed into horrific 'soapbars' with god knows what mixed in. People pay for a plant and end up smoking putting diesal and turpentine into their lungs. People are sold (legal, mind) research chemicals as MDMA and LSD, comparatively safe drugs, and end up overdosing or getting horrific side effects because we have even less of an idea of what they do to the body than the illegals. This isn't some fantasy world. This is people you know. I assume when/if you go to university, provided you don't live in a town crawling with drugs anyway (chances are you do, as it's most), you may hear of the odd casualty. I certainly have, and it's not fair.

The aim of legalisation isn't to have this free-for-all and go 'YEAH DRUGS' and have everyone wandering the streets coked off their heads and blazed in the streets. The aim is to reduce harm: to make people know exactly what goes into their body, to ensure people are educated to the best possible extent about how to safely use drugs. This is real life - it's having a grown up discussion about something, accepting that it happens, and seeing what we can do to ensure less people die and/or ruin their lives. One model is to have the "soft" drugs which are relatively (NOT absolutely, relatively) safe taxed, regulated, and most importantly, unadulterated, with "hard" drugs being available to addicts under medical supervise to again, ensure they get a clean supply. A person can drink 9 pints of Stella and vomit in the streets, and as tiresome and stupid as the event is, everyone knows they are going to recover because they've got a product which is unadulterated, well-researched, and which the physical effects are well-known. Whereas if someone has gone out and taken 3 tabs of LSD, which isn't actually LSD at all but a research chemical that mimics its effects, and had a seizure, then the doctors are going to have a much trickier time saving the patient.

And if you're currently reaching for that keyboard to type out the same malicious, tired argument of 'WELL THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE DRUGS, IT'S ILLEGAL' then not only are you displaying an ambivalent attitude towards reality, you are simply proving that you do not care about protecting people at all. You care about forcing an ideology on others, perhaps even through your own bitterness.

Drug-taking is a normal human behaviour. Humans will strive to do anything that makes them feel good, or different. If you morally object to that, then where do you draw the line? Banning junk food? Perhaps exercise? Orgasms? They make you feel different, change your perceptions of the world? Some people get addicted to them. Maybe we should eliminate them. Perhaps a system of plastic bubbles to ensure no one is harmed ever?

And one final thing. I accept that drugs cause harm. I accept that people do them. What I don't want is criminals making money off this. I don't want violent scum meeting a market demand and feeding their networks with it. I don't want to ultimately fund some bloody conflict in the Third World everytime I buy a tenbag. I'm not even saying legalising it would solve all the problems, but it would be a step in the right direction. Better to try and actively deal with the elephant in the room than stuffing it under the couch where it won't fit.

Sorry, no.

I did enjoy reading your input mind. Legalising it doesn't make it safe, which is what you've said. I'm finding it hard to pick out the benefits of legalising it in your argument. You said one of the aims is to increase education on drugs, which isn't just relevant to cannibis. Criminals will continue to do what they do even if we do legalise it. Please show me how legalising it is a step in the right direction without all the waffle.
Just as bad as inhaling any other combusted plant vapour. No better, no worse assuming no side effects!
Reply 124
Original post by Eloades11
While I couldn't find the original source of your article, I took it upon myself to search for more recent and a larger cohort study.

"Cox regression analyses (n = 44,284) found that such "heavy" cannabis smoking was significantly associated with more than a twofold risk (hazard ratio 2.12, 95 % CI 1.08-4.14) of developing lung cancer over the 40-year follow-up period, even after statistical adjustment for baseline tobacco use, alcohol use, respiratory conditions, and socioeconomic status."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23846283

I'm not up to date with the arguments behind weed legislation, I'm aware that weed also contains various carcinogenic agents, which is what I was basing my views on.

It's all pretty inconclusive so far, there have been a number of studies showing a link and a number showing no link, but light to moderate use certainly doesn't seem to cause cancer. Clearly there is more to it than it containing many of the same carcinogens, they have pharmacological activities that result in different biological endpoints, nicotine is significtly more addictive, tobacco smokers smoke more regularly. Cannabis smoking is undoubtedly harmful but it seems very unlikey that it is as harmful as tobacco.
Reply 125
Original post by Eloades11
Criminals will continue to do what they do even if we do legalise it. Please show me how legalising it is a step in the right direction without all the waffle.

Where are all the bootleggers and moonshine? How exactly does prohibition help?
Heavy use can cause problems, especially if you're predisposed to mental health issues. Anything less than heavy use is practically harmless.
Original post by n00
It's all pretty inconclusive so far, there have been a number of studies showing a link and a number showing no link, but light to moderate use certainly doesn't seem to cause cancer. Clearly there is more to it than it containing many of the same carcinogens, they have pharmacological activities that result in different biological endpoints, nicotine is significtly more addictive, tobacco smokers smoke more regularly. Cannabis smoking is undoubtedly harmful but it seems very unlikey that it is as harmful as tobacco.

I can't argue with that, it's quite a controversial topic as far as known risks and negatives go. As far as carcinogens go, it's pretty significant if you're inhaling these on a day to day basis. I was also under the impression that there were many common substances in cigarette smoking and cannabis smoking? It can vary, but as I've said before, I haven't bothered looking into this topic in great detail.
Reply 128
Original post by majmuh24

Smoking it isn't a good way to go though as the smoke can damage your lungs and all the other dangers that smoking gives, a bong is more healthy (but still not advisable).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many studies have been carried out on bong and shisha bong usage and found that people who use bongs will, in the same session length as a smoker, intake a far greater amount of smoke than their counterparts, due to the fact that it isn't as harsh and easier to do. Just sayin' :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 129
I support legalisation and regulation but people who spread around stuff like this are morons:
Original post by Multitalented me
I know a few guys who take it, they don't seem that bad though. Never intend to myself but just curious, they say it relaxes them & really opens up their mind...
for most people it is alright but i would say that if they are under 18 they could get into allot of trouble and weed could lead to schizophrenia and other mental disorders because the brain is still developing but no weed on its own is not detrimental to your health in fact weed is very beneficial to your skin and it is a very effective pain killer why do you think they prescribe weed to people that are going through cancer treatment. in some beauty treatments they use CBD oil which is extracted from weed and is very good for the skin i feel the main reason for weed being illegal in most countries is because of its medical benefits they make it illegal because if it was legal most pharmaceutical companies would lose allot of money because they cant patent marijuana (the reason why they cant is because weed or marijuana is a naturally occurring herb and is not invented by a company or lab) weed is only really bad is when it is mixed with tobacco or other mixers
Original post by n00
i do not mean to be insulting or patronising in any way but please if you have spare time look at the benefits of cbt oil that is extracted from cannabis the only way weed can be harmful is if it is mixed with tobacco or if you are under 18 this is coming from a girl who has lived with a parent who had smoked weed and his medical health is better than ever because of a life threatening illness and physical condition i almost lost one of my parents to suicide because of pain and cannabis helped them through

thankyou for considering my veiws

Quick Reply

Latest