The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So I took my Driver's License test for the very first time today and I was super nervous but felt somewhat confident because I have been driving a lot. Anyways so I get to the DMV and I get a guy instructor that everyone loves and I felt super confident after I knew I got the guy. So we head out on the their route that they take everyone and all goes well. 20 minutes or so goes by and we get back to the DMV because the test is over. When i pulled into the parking lot there was a choice to go right or left and my driving instructor never told me which way to go, so I assume right since right takes you to the place where we started the test. I was wrong. After I come to a stop he says "Alright, well you didn't give me enough time to tell you which direction to turn so go ahead and go back over to the parking lot and park in the reserved parking spot." So I apologize to him and tell him i assumed to turn right because its where we started the test and continue into the parking lot. I accidentally turn down a row that is only one way with a car coming toward me. So I stop and my driving instructor tells me to back up. So I back up and accidentally hit the curb. At this point, I KNEW I had failed the test. After I finally get into a parking spot and turn the car off. My driving instructor says "you would have passed this driving test with flying colors and I'm sorry I have to fail you because of what just happened." I GOT NOTHING WRONG FOR THE EVALUATION BUT GET AN AUTOMATIC FAIL THE VERY LAST MINUTE OF MY DRIVING TEST. FML.
Original post by Charl-ram
Yeah I know what he's saying is right, but I don't know how i'll overcome this problem myself, he shouts at me when I switch off and that's definitely not helping matters. Because I then start to drive like I possibility don't give a toss, as in my head im angry lol.
Thanks mate! I'll try my best - has to be good enough this time i hope, :redface:

Hey :smile:

OK in my opinion your instructor and your relationship with them will have a massive impact on your driving. One of mine belittled me, shouted at me, exaggerated my faults and just made me nervous and unconfident. My current one is brilliant and I've made so much progress - he's honest and encouraging, never makes me feel like crap, never makes me nervous.

I know you're in late stages of learning now and I really hope you pass your next test! But if not, I would seriously consider changing instructor, get recommendations for ones who are more patient with drivers who have troubles with nerves or concentration! I used to get the whole angry driving thing after being shouted at, I NEVER feel like that with my current instructor.
Well guys after much stress and heartache, I finally passed my test yesterday on the 9th attempt. After being encouraged to give up or have a long break I very nearly cancelled that test and I'm so glad I didn't. The feeling of passing is phenomenal. You can do it. xx
Reply 2723
Okay I somehow managed to pass my test with 5 minors, although it has to be said having read this I'm convinved I should have probably got 2 serious and only 3 minors. C'est la vie.

Anyway I went up on to Grimston Roundabout (if you know York that should mean something) and he told me to follow my roadsigns for Hull as part of the independent drive, now despite living towards Hull I went into a mini-panic road when deciding what lane to choose and ended up just following the lorry in front of me onto the A19 to Leeds (neither indicating although it is debatable as to whether that is mandatory or optional nor slowing for the traffic lights which turned amber before I crossed). I didn't overtake when I should have done on the dual carriage way. I ended up straddling two lanes for a few seconds because I couldn't work out which one I was went to be in when going off (and when I decided which one, I ended up going to the wrong one and had to do a rushed and very questionable lane change). Then during my maneuver I parked up too close to the kerb, giving me little leeway, so I ended up overshooting. I ended up stopping for a car miles back, that turned in at a side road. And I got so flustered at adjusting my steering because I was at such a strange angle, I had to put my handbrake on and ask my examiner to ask for a couple of seconds just to work out what I was doing before quickly correctly my error.

Somehow I didn't get any minors for the above two problems, except possibly my lane change where he got me for mirrors (I didn't check but I knew for a fact that there was nothing for at least a mile back behind me). Someone I got hesitation, approach speed x2 and mirrors x2 (apart from that incident I am anal so I have no idea where he clocked me the second time).

Just as interesting point, my friend however failed today having "turned right too slowly". Which I have never before heard of, nor had my driving instructor.
Original post by elixira
Hey :smile:

OK in my opinion your instructor and your relationship with them will have a massive impact on your driving. One of mine belittled me, shouted at me, exaggerated my faults and just made me nervous and unconfident. My current one is brilliant and I've made so much progress - he's honest and encouraging, never makes me feel like crap, never makes me nervous.

I know you're in late stages of learning now and I really hope you pass your next test! But if not, I would seriously consider changing instructor, get recommendations for ones who are more patient with drivers who have troubles with nerves or concentration! I used to get the whole angry driving thing after being shouted at, I NEVER feel like that with my current instructor.

oh hi :smile:
thanks, me too! as i know think i deserve it as ive spent so much money no joke :frown: makes me near in tears if i try and count it up! sometimes he just makes me throw in the towel and never try again, he doesnt even encourage me to take the test again when i failed 3 times he didnt even care, its like hes gaven up on me.. yeah if i dont get this one, il defo change :smile: when i drive good for the first hour he talks away to me, and we get on, but when it comes into the second hour his personality completely changes towards me :/
Original post by littledolly
Well guys after much stress and heartache, I finally passed my test yesterday on the 9th attempt. After being encouraged to give up or have a long break I very nearly cancelled that test and I'm so glad I didn't. The feeling of passing is phenomenal. You can do it. xx

Well done! :woo:

Must have felt really good once you were told that you passed!
well done !!!
I'VE JUST FAIL my one today .... iam absolutely down . it was my first time.
it was in GREENFORD TEST CENTER.
Do it at Southall much smoother test route.
Yeah I know what he's saying is right, but I don't know how i'll overcome this problem myself, he shouts at me when I switch off and that's definitely not helping matters. Because I then start to drive like I possibility don't give a toss, as in my head im angry lol.
Thanks mate! I'll try my best - has to be good enough this time i hope, :redface:

Perhaps getting shorter lessons may be on the table, I had a 20 hour intensive course and on two days had 6 hours of driving, I broke them down into 2 hours on, 30 mins off and it worked really well :smile:

GOt my test in 2 weeks and gaven't had a lesson since 27th feburary, i'm going to have a 2 hour lesson the day before and 1 the day f the test but don't know if that will be enough,

My driving is good, but I struggle to bring the clutch up quickly without stalling and so i'm basically crawling up to speed, any tips?
Failed first time, 3 minors and 1 major for going 30 in a 20 zone. Really irritated because I realised and slowed down but obviously I wasn't quick enough. 20mph roads are the bane of my life, I just can't drive that slow!
Reply 2730
Original post by trippywalrus
Failed first time, 3 minors and 1 major for going 30 in a 20 zone. Really irritated because I realised and slowed down but obviously I wasn't quick enough. 20mph roads are the bane of my life, I just can't drive that slow!

The road has a 20 limit for a reason - usually around schools where children could run out into the road unexpectedly and you could kill them. You're lucky you only failed your driving test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trippywalrus

20 is sooo slow but not quite as painful as the 10mph speed limit that's in my test centre haha. You'll pass next time :smile:
Original post by Kiki4
Just failed mine :frown:
It was a hill junction, as the lights changed my leg started shaking REALLY BAD it wouldn't stop and I saw the examiners face :/
I managed to stall 3 times I just wanted to get out the car there and then and run 4 miles home!

Oh and I nearly died because some maniac decided to cut in front of me

Sorry to hear that but you are so funny in your words too :smile:
Original post by SNR
There is a very high chance I will be officially be able to join the gang in 12 hours! :biggrin: Honestly, this time last week I wouldn't have been surprised at the thought of walking out the test centre with 0 minors but it seems the nerves have well and truly kicked in and I've lost the ability to do the most basic things.

Anyone any advice on how not to freak out (or know of any good pills that don't hinder one's ability to drive)? That is a joke... unless you do know of some, in which case ...

Try the Bach's Rescue Remedy products, though I saw other brands as well. I'm really not sure if it's the one that made me calm that day but try it to prove it yourself. Important is you are confident you know enough to pass.
Booked driving test for the fourth time there now, hopefully I'll get it this time, fingers crossed :confused: but my instructor thinks im not even ready bearing in mind I've had lessons for over a year, although he still likes to think i cant drive solidly for two hours as my concentration just goes up the left and i can literally do nothing about it ive tried kalm tabs, redbull, etc. he wont even let me turn the radio/music on, (what i usually do to help me concentrate doing college work at home) I keep reminding him the test only lasts 40 minutes (i can drive perfect for one hour makin no mistakes but when the second hour starts i make loads of big mistakes when im driving) and hes now dreading if i pass cause he says when im driving on my own for more than one hour.. something bad might happen as i cant switch off when im driving, they'l be serious consequences.
What can I do? :frown:

You have a tough case :confused: .Problem is you can't switch on a radio during your test as it is a "Don't" in the Highway Code. You can't pass driving just good enough for 1 hr, can you? Passing is DVLA trusting you that you are safe to learn further and on trickier situations. And as I said again and again, length of time you spent learning is nothing if it still doesn't show you are ready. Sorry it's hard to accept, but that's the case.
Original post by barmutlu1
Omg passed my test on my third go with 8 minors I still can't believe it I had the same examiner as last time soo lucky coz she was lovely I actually thought she was gonna fail me again but glad I passed finally phewwww! You guys don't lose hope keep trying u will pass today or tomorrow good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You must post this on the "I passed my test" thread:colone: Congrats though!
Original post by Northstar212
You have a tough case :confused: .Problem is you can't switch on a radio during your test as it is a "Don't" in the Highway Code. You can't pass driving just good enough for 1 hr, can you? Passing is DVLA trusting you that you are safe to learn further and on trickier situations. And as I said again and again, length of time you spent learning is nothing if it still doesn't show you are ready. Sorry it's hard to accept, but that's the case.

Hahah I can surely try it :smile: I'm sorry, but I thought you already passed the test? Why are you still commenting on this thread if you've nothing nice to say to me? :hi: I think it is though cause the longer you drive for, the more experience you get??! Yes? No? Maybe? Possibility?
(edited 10 years ago)
Failed this morning :frown: it was going pretty well for the first 20 minutes and then I was took on a route which I'd never done before, never practiced, nothing. I had no idea where I was going and lost all confidence I had to carry on and became very very hesitant, something which failed me in the end. Undue hesitation, PAH!
The second he told me to turn left at the roundabout and not right, which I normally do, I knew I'd failed.

If I'd of had any other route I would have passed, I just know it, it was a near perfect drive had I not hesitated ALL THE TIME.
I'm so annoyed at myself, I know I could have passed :frown:( :banghead:
Reply 2738
Original post by Sarah_143
Failed this morning :frown: it was going pretty well for the first 20 minutes and then I was took on a route which I'd never done before, never practiced, nothing. I had no idea where I was going and lost all confidence I had to carry on and became very very hesitant, something which failed me in the end. Undue hesitation, PAH!
The second he told me to turn left at the roundabout and not right, which I normally do, I knew I'd failed.

If I'd of had any other route I would have passed, I just know it, it was a near perfect drive had I not hesitated ALL THE TIME.
I'm so annoyed at myself, I know I could have passed :frown:( :banghead:

So when you pass, will you only drive to places you know?

Of course not. So you rightly failed.

You'll probably want to go out and practice every possible test route ever, but that's not the best way to view this. You need more confidence in your general driving so that you can drive to unknown places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
So when you pass, will you only drive to places you know?

Of course not. So you rightly failed.

You'll probably want to go out and practice every possible test route ever, but that's not the best way to view this. You need more confidence in your general driving so that you can drive to unknown places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was more the fact I wasn't expecting it to go the way it did that freaked me out and the fact I felt under so much pressure. If I had been driving on my own in this situation it would be a different story.

Latest

Trending

Trending