The Student Room Group

The NEW follow function...it's here!

Scroll to see replies

A number of people have expressed concerns about their profile privacy. Many people have set it so much of their profile is only visible to friends - how is that affected by the replacement with the follow functionality? Can your followers see the formerly private stuff now? Or can only those you're following? What's the future for this?
Original post by rmhumphries
No, although this has been requested by other users.

I am seriously concerned about this. If I am going to use this site, I need to have some control over who can see my profile and so on. If this ability is taken away I may have to leave.
Original post by Feefifofum
I am seriously concerned about this. If I am going to use this site, I need to have some control over who can see my profile and so on. If this ability is taken away I may have to leave.

As far as I am aware, there has been no changes in terms of the privacy settings here. The 'friends' module still exists, and I believe that the settings still relate to the friends function (where you have to agree to someone being your friend first). However, it may be best to confirm this with a CT member or TSR Group staff, as they will be able to say with more certainty than I can.
As far as I am aware, there has been no changes in terms of the privacy settings here. The 'friends' module still exists, and I believe that the settings still relate to the friends function (where you have to agree to someone being your friend first). However, it may be best to confirm this with a CT member or TSR Group staff, as they will be able to say with more certainty than I can.

Thanks. I'll hang on for the official confirmation.
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
I would like to stress to you the simple fact that I follow only your posts. i certainly do not follow your spinach related example of loving Madonna more than Elton John.

Good day.

You don't have to follow it for it to be the truth my dear. :cool:

Madonna >>
Reply 245
You can't remove yourself from the whole system.... Please, I don't want followers, or anyone following me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Average idea but characteric poor execution

Why wasn't there this level.of CT involvement for neg reps?

Because the 3 month trial period was a sham and a hoax.
Thanks everyone for your questions on this.

We'll be in touch later on today for some responses :smile:
Original post by Feefifofum

Just to confirm, rmhumphries is correct, the Friends and Privacy settings work in exactly the same way as before, so access to your profile is not affected.
Is there a way to either stop people following you or if someone follows you remove them? Sorry if it's been asked - I'm not trawling through 14 pages :tongue: my procrastination has limits.
Original post by Airfairy
Is there a way to either stop people following you or if someone follows you remove them? Sorry if it's been asked - I'm not trawling through 14 pages :tongue: my procrastination has limits.

Not yet I'm afraid, but it's something the CT are looking into - you're not the only person with concerns over it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Captain Jack
Hello again!

We had a meeting with the Community Team and the Development Team to review everyone's feedback. Below is the list of identified issues from you and the action we're going to take in purple:

- We totally agree with you on this one, that the sensitive forums should not be included and we are going to work over the next day to exclude a number of forums from appearing in the widgets e.g. Mental Health, Sexual Health. This should go live in the next day or two.

- This does need updating and we will get onto amending this in the next day as well.

Privacy: we take on board your concerns around privacy. Although the functionality to read people's posts is already widely available on TSR through profiles and search, this new functionality makes it easier for you to be able to see who is interested in your posts. And that the existing 'Ignore List' doesn't do enough to stop people following you.

Approve follows: some of you would like the option to approve / ignore requests to follow you.[color="#000000"]
- For these, we can see that there is an issue but we need to understand that issue better and more fully, so we are going to wait for some more feedback this week from other members (who haven't posted yet, while also taking into account existing feedback) before making a decision on the development work. This is because at the moment, having discussed some of the solutions, there are many different ways of developing something. We don't want to rush into days of development work, when by the end of the week it might turn out that we should have done one of the other options.

- Likewise, we have fed back about the design, but would like to give it a little while longer and seek wider feedback. It is noted that some of you feel it is too large though.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. I'll come back to this list throughout the week to keep you all updated.

Jack

Probably worth editing this into the OP to stop people from asking the same questions over and over:smile:
Great minds think alike - I was just about to start editing the OP with all the updated post links :wink:
Reply 253
My analysis:

Pros:
- Can tell when friends have responded to a thread (although not specifically to me ), which is useful in societies.

Cons:
- Button too large
- The friend list has disappeared + it seems different following someone and friending someone. [I suggest having a friends list and a followers list]
- Seems too stalkerish - I don't and ought not to want to know what and where people are posting all the time.

Edit: Some people set it so only friends can see and respond to visitor messages; with the friends list gone, it seems that even if two people are mutually following each other, they still cannot respond to the VM directly.

Overall summary:

Didn't see the need to change the friends list. I think the change from 'Friends' to 'Following' people is stupid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Balooo
My analysis:

Pros:
- Can tell when friends have responded to a thread (although not specifically to me ), which is useful in societies.

Cons:
- Button too large
- The friend list has disappeared + it seems different following someone and friending someone. [I suggest having a friends list and a followers list]
- Seems too stalkerish - I don't and ought not to want to know what and where people are posting all the time.

hey look I can stalk you!!!!!

:lol:
Reply 255
Original post by cupcakes87
hey look I can stalk you!!!!!

:lol:

This works both ways, you know :colone:
Original post by yo radical one
I noticed this. Seems a little creepy tbh :erm:

How could you not notice it?
Its a big blue sign. Please make it a bit smaller.
Reply 257
Original post by lipslikemorphine
How could you not notice it?
Its a big blue sign. Please make it a bit smaller.

Agreed. The button is way too big/bright; either make it more of a neutral colour or reduce the size.
If I unfollow someone and then follow him would it so up again in his notifications? :colone:
Original post by RoyalBlue7
If I unfollow someone and then follow him would it so up again in his notifications? :colone:

If you leave it enough time after you initially started following them initially, yeah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending