The Student Room Group

Budapest, Prague & Munich.

Hello,
I'm planning a short trip this summer. About 10/11 days and I'm planning to fly from Manchester to Budapest, then get the train to Prague about three days later then the train to Munich then back home. From my estimations I reckon trains, flights and accommodation is going to come to about £900. I was just wondering if anyone has been to any of these cities and if they can offer me any advice on attractions, days out, night life or ect. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Prague is a beautiful city, I went in the winte last year and it looked very picturesque as the city was covered in snow. I would definitely recommend going to the old square and simply walking around to soak up the atmosphere!

The night life is really good, the drinks are really cheap lol albeit, you need to be a little wary of your surroundings but that's good advice for any new place you visit tbh.

I can't comment on Munich or Budapest, but hope I have made u excited for Prague ! I'm actually planning to visit Munich in September for Oktoberfest, so let me know how Munich was for you, if u don't mind :smile:

Have fun !
Reply 2
Bootipest, Prostitute abyss and Beer central? Can't go wrong with those three :biggrin:

Just go out and drink, then screw then drink some more :h:
I'm from Budapest and I've organised quite a few trips for foreigners there, so if you need any help, ps me.
What sort of things are you looking to do? I was in Budapest earlier this year and the definite highlight was going to a place called Celeritas shooting to spend an hour firing AKs.

I would say avoid Vaci Utca, it's a massive tourist trap of a street, filled with overpriced tat and even more overpriced bars. There's an ice bar there which is an amusing novelty for a half hour, but the drinks you get are pretty small for their price.
Reply 5
Original post by amarjit18
Prague is a beautiful city, I went in the winte last year and it looked very picturesque as the city was covered in snow. I would definitely recommend going to the old square and simply walking around to soak up the atmosphere!

The night life is really good, the drinks are really cheap lol albeit, you need to be a little wary of your surroundings but that's good advice for any new place you visit tbh.

I can't comment on Munich or Budapest, but hope I have made u excited for Prague ! I'm actually planning to visit Munich in September for Oktoberfest, so let me know how Munich was for you, if u don't mind :smile:

Have fun !

You really have, I've heard it's a beautiful city, I'm just glad I'm going in summer because I hate been cold! I really want to visit Sedlec Ossuary, it's known as the "Bone Church" as far as I know it's quite a distance outside of Prague but I quite like morbid things like that haha! I will try my best to let you know about Munich, I spent a while choosing between Munich and Berlin but Munich just looks beautiful and there's more attractions that I'd be interested in :smile:

Original post by ManifoldManifest
What sort of things are you looking to do? I was in Budapest earlier this year and the definite highlight was going to a place called Celeritas shooting to spend an hour firing AKs.

I would say avoid Vaci Utca, it's a massive tourist trap of a street, filled with overpriced tat and even more overpriced bars. There's an ice bar there which is an amusing novelty for a half hour, but the drinks you get are pretty small for their price.

I usually do all the typical tourist things when I go away, bus tours, museums, attractions and I always seem to end up in a zoo for some reason. But I just love soaking in the culture, anywhere with live music and cheap drinks would be lovely :smile:

Original post by jamesmoriarty
I'm from Budapest and I've organised quite a few trips for foreigners there, so if you need any help, ps me.

Ahh brilliant, I will message you, thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Simone.xox
You really have, I've heard it's a beautiful city, I'm just glad I'm going in summer because I hate been cold! I really want to visit Sedlec Ossuary, it's known as the "Bone Church" as far as I know it's quite a distance outside of Prague but I quite like morbid things like that haha! I will try my best to let you know about Munich, I spent a while choosing between Munich and Berlin but Munich just looks beautiful and there's more attractions that I'd be interested in :smile:

I usually do all the typical tourist things when I go away, bus tours, museums, attractions and I always seem to end up in a zoo for some reason. But I just love soaking in the culture, anywhere with live music and cheap drinks would be lovely :smile:

You'll have a great time! Lol I loved berlin, it's one of my favourite cities in Europe!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello,
I'm planning a short trip this summer. About 10/11 days and I'm planning to fly from Manchester to Budapest, then get the train to Prague about three days later then the train to Munich then back home. From my estimations I reckon trains, flights and accommodation is going to come to about £900. I was just wondering if anyone has been to any of these cities and if they can offer me any advice on attractions, days out, night life or ect. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi :smile: just on the bus out of Munich atm!
I loved Munich so much that this is my second time here, so you should have an awesome time! The Euro Youth Hotel is a pretty good place to stay based on value for money, and it's not too far from the centre. Some worthwhile attractions:
- Stadtmuseum
- White Rose Memorial (I believe you can get an audio guide for this in English)
- Alter Peter (church tower with an excellent view of Munich)
- Englischer Garten (apparently there's river surfing when it's warm)
- Lukaskirche
- Dachau concentration camp (this is a 20 minute train ride, and takes 5-6 hours)

Of course, these are just a fraction of what you can do, and just things that interested me personally. Have a great trip, and feel free to ask any questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Butterfly9595
Hi :smile: just on the bus out of Munich atm!
I loved Munich so much that this is my second time here, so you should have an awesome time! The Euro Youth Hotel is a pretty good place to stay based on value for money, and it's not too far from the centre. Some worthwhile attractions:
- Stadtmuseum
- White Rose Memorial (I believe you can get an audio guide for this in English)
- Alter Peter (church tower with an excellent view of Munich)
- Englischer Garten (apparently there's river surfing when it's warm)
- Lukaskirche
- Dachau concentration camp (this is a 20 minute train ride, and takes 5-6 hours)

Of course, these are just a fraction of what you can do, and just things that interested me personally. Have a great trip, and feel free to ask any questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just checked out the hotel but it's going to be fully booked for my dates!
I really want to see Dachau concentration camp, I think it will be quite upsetting but it's important to see these things and it's an experience. I saw the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and although it was quite sad, I remember realizing that everything there was real, there's a height chart on the wall pencilled in and then I realized where I was and what the history was and it was such as eye opening experience.
I also want to see Neuschwanstein Castle, there's a bike tour that goes up there so that's on my list too!

What are drink and food prices like? I can imagine quite expensive, I know a girl who travelled Germany and she said that Berlin was expensive so I'm assuming that Munich will probably be the same!
Reply 9
Hey, can't say I've been to any of the three but I will be going to Munich and Berlin this summer!

I've uploaded a video on my youtube channel about keeping prices down when travelling Europe, and am going to vlog it things. Just thought you might be interested! :biggrin: My channel link:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ_xlCqTJo9uK0es8E_ONLg
An idea for Munich though is to go across the border into Salzburg, Austria for a day. I looked it up and its only 30 euros there and back :smile:

Have fun!!
Reply 10
Original post by tssf_skye
Hey, can't say I've been to any of the three but I will be going to Munich and Berlin this summer!

I've uploaded a video on my youtube channel about keeping prices down when travelling Europe, and am going to vlog it things. Just thought you might be interested! :biggrin: My channel link:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ_xlCqTJo9uK0es8E_ONLg
An idea for Munich though is to go across the border into Salzburg, Austria for a day. I looked it up and its only 30 euros there and back :smile:

Have fun!!

Oooh, that sounds lovely :smile:
I would have loved to have seen Vienna, but it's quite expensive and I'm on a budget!
I just checked out the hotel but it's going to be fully booked for my dates!
I really want to see Dachau concentration camp, I think it will be quite upsetting but it's important to see these things and it's an experience. I saw the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam and although it was quite sad, I remember realizing that everything there was real, there's a height chart on the wall pencilled in and then I realized where I was and what the history was and it was such as eye opening experience.
I also want to see Neuschwanstein Castle, there's a bike tour that goes up there so that's on my list too!

What are drink and food prices like? I can imagine quite expensive, I know a girl who travelled Germany and she said that Berlin was expensive so I'm assuming that Munich will probably be the same!

I've been to Anne Frank House too - definitely worthwhile. The only thing about Dachau is that you should be prepared for scores of people who seemingly have no interest/ run through the museum with a camera snapping every display and not reading, or taking selfies :/ I walked up to a Gravesite a little way away where 7,400 people are buried... That had a much more 'real' feel to it as it was quiet so somehow much sadder.

Munich is relatively expensive for Germany, but if you stick to supermarkets you can do it quite cheap... the Döner Houses (Turkish restaurants) are also excellent places to eat for not very much, and fruit from market stalls can be quite cheap :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Butterfly9595
I've been to Anne Frank House too - definitely worthwhile. The only thing about Dachau is that you should be prepared for scores of people who seemingly have no interest/ run through the museum with a camera snapping every display and not reading, or taking selfies :/ I walked up to a Gravesite a little way away where 7,400 people are buried... That had a much more 'real' feel to it as it was quiet so somehow much sadder.

Munich is relatively expensive for Germany, but if you stick to supermarkets you can do it quite cheap... the Döner Houses (Turkish restaurants) are also excellent places to eat for not very much, and fruit from market stalls can be quite cheap :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose that comes with any tourist attraction, but come on who takes selfies in a concentration camp! I have so much planned for Munich I'm thinking I might have to cut one of my cities out to fit it all in?

Have you been anywhere else in Germany?
The Madhouse Prague and Carpe Noctem OG Budapest, best hostels ever, loads of single travellers/small groups mingling and going out together every night, strip clubs, underground bars, pub and bar crawls, drinking games.. Had the best time of my life in the two with people I'd only met earlier that day, nightlife is amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suppose that comes with any tourist attraction, but come on who takes selfies in a concentration camp! I have so much planned for Munich I'm thinking I might have to cut one of my cities out to fit it all in?

Have you been anywhere else in Germany?

I know, it's ridiculous!
And yeah, Munich can take a while depending on your plans - definitely don't rush it. How long would you stay?

And yep I have - I'm actually an Au Pair in Frankfurt at the moment (but don't go there!) so I've been to a few :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I've been to Munich and Prague. In Munich I'd recommend visiting a beer hall - certainly at the one I went to a few years ago you got men in traditional Bavarian costume and music. Also Nymphemburg Castle on the outskirts (you can get there on the ubahn). And I've heard good things about Munich Zoo although I didn't get to go sadly (school trip).

Prague seemed to have a lot of art galleries, they aren't my thing but you might like them. I found the Jewish quarter & museum fascinating although that might be because I'm Jewish. And Prague Castle. And I also did a tour with English expats as guides- you have to start on foot because the bus can't go into some of the old town but then you get on the bus.
Avoid the restaurants on the main square- they are all overpriced. In fact Prague was more expensive than me & my Mum were expecting.
Reply 16
Original post by jelly1000
I've been to Munich and Prague. In Munich I'd recommend visiting a beer hall - certainly at the one I went to a few years ago you got men in traditional Bavarian costume and music. Also Nymphemburg Castle on the outskirts (you can get there on the ubahn). And I've heard good things about Munich Zoo although I didn't get to go sadly (school trip).

Prague seemed to have a lot of art galleries, they aren't my thing but you might like them. I found the Jewish quarter & museum fascinating although that might be because I'm Jewish. And Prague Castle. And I also did a tour with English expats as guides- you have to start on foot because the bus can't go into some of the old town but then you get on the bus.
Avoid the restaurants on the main square- they are all overpriced. In fact Prague was more expensive than me & my Mum were expecting.

Munich zoo is a must! I always seem to end up in a zoo when I go on holiday!
Hello,

Are you planing in staying in Hostels? 900 seems quite a lot for 10/11. We did a similar trip (Berlin-Prague-Budapest) in the summer and it was surprisingly cheap. We did couchsurf though and bought the train tickets in advance so that probably helped. And of course it depends on what you want to do also :smile: Have Fun!
Reply 18
Original post by jessisaunicorn
Are you planing in staying in Hostels? 900 seems quite a lot for 10/11. We did a similar trip (Berlin-Prague-Budapest) in the summer and it was surprisingly cheap. We did couchsurf though and bought the train tickets in advance so that probably helped. And of course it depends on what you want to do also :smile: Have Fun!

I would only stay in hostels if I could get private rooms, I'm really cautious about sharing rooms with strangers, I'm thinking about limiting my trip to Germany to be honest, so cut out all the extra travelling :smile:
Original post by Daniel9510
The Madhouse Prague and Carpe Noctem OG Budapest, best hostels ever, loads of single travellers/small groups mingling and going out together every night, strip clubs, underground bars, pub and bar crawls, drinking games.. Had the best time of my life in the two with people I'd only met earlier that day, nightlife is amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going to Budapest at the end of May (in exactly 50 days!) for just this, need a release from the daily grind! Also massively need to up my mingling skills, think this will be the perfect opportunity for me as I'll have nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest