The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Medicine Man

I guess what I'm asking is, clearly, we should all be prepared for apparently "common" situations like this by the end of medical school, but how do others (particularly males - females seem to be slightly more comfortable with these conversations from what I have witnessed, though I could be VERY, VERY wrong) feel about taking sexual/obstetric/gynecological histories from young teenage females (as above) who are more often than not, sexually active? I struggled this morning. A lot. But hey, that's what these sessions are for right?

Im not a guy, but as a girl who has had to speak to male doctors as a teen and I taught Sex Ed in secondary school so I might be able to weight in a bit...

Get comfortable about periods etc... Talk to a female friend and just get used to it, so many guys look like they are about to die inside when they say the word period!

I'd say you need to air on the side of caution as often teenage girls (having been one) often hate talking about sex to adults and if you are sounding like their dad it just makes it awkward for both parties. When I was teaching sex ed I was answering all sorts of questions and having to keep a straight face and be honest ("Do you taste poo when rimming" a personal fav of mine), so it's just being natural about it and also asking her what she understands about safe sex etc instead of just talking at her how unprotected sex is bad etc etc- often they 'think' they know some things, but infact its an urban myth etc...

Again I think it's just something you end up getting used too, the first few times I was teaching sex ed it was horrific and when I just made it into a more casual affair the students really opened up and were not afraid to ask so called "silly questions".
Is that of any help?
Reply 801
It just comes with practice. You'll soon develop a matter-of-fact way of asking these questions. When I ask young girls if there is a possibility of them being pregnant (consenting for orthopaedic stuff that needs on-table xray) I just preface it with 'this is just a routine question I need to ask everybody'. Parents and the girls are usually okay with that.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
It's not exclusive to being male. I've been a teenage girl and still struggle with those conversations. On paeds day case ward I had to ask all the female patients if they were sexually active and it was the most awkward thing ever. They either look horrified that you even ask or are wayyyy more chilled about it than they should be at 14.

Yeah, I gather it's not exclusive to being male - wasn't insinuating that at all. I guess some girls I've seen do this, make it look sooooo easy, when it's really not in reality. I guess I just need to man up, put myself in more situations like that, get on with it and just try and get more comfortable with it.

But yeah, your experience sounds tough! Makes me feel slightly better knowing others find it awkward too - people in my group kept saying "ooh, that was tough, I would have struggled with that too, but well done" at the end of it, which was nice to hear, but that's what they're supposed to say irrespective of how crappy it went! :p:
Original post by visesh
When I ask young girls if there is a possibility of them being pregnant (consenting for orthopaedic stuff that needs on-table xray)

And yet I've stopped being surprised at the positive HCGs (or HVS results) in those that answer "no"
Reply 804
Original post by visesh
I just preface it with 'this is just a routine question I need to ask everybody'.

The best phrase ever invented when it comes to histories, closely followed by by SOCRATES...
Reply 805
It has become so much of a routine that I asked a 12 / 13 year old with Turners that. She looked at her mum, and they both just laughed at me and said "durr, I've got Turners." I felt rather silly.
Original post by lcsurfer
Im not a guy, but as a girl who has had to speak to male doctors as a teen and I taught Sex Ed in secondary school so I might be able to weight in a bit...

Get comfortable about periods etc... Talk to a female friend and just get used to it, so many guys look like they are about to die inside when they say the word period!

I'd say you need to air on the side of caution as often teenage girls (having been one) often hate talking about sex to adults and if you are sounding like their dad it just makes it awkward for both parties. When I was teaching sex ed I was answering all sorts of questions and having to keep a straight face and be honest ("Do you taste poo when rimming" a personal fav of mine), so it's just being natural about it and also asking her what she understands about safe sex etc instead of just talking at her how unprotected sex is bad etc etc- often they 'think' they know some things, but infact its an urban myth etc...

Again I think it's just something you end up getting used too, the first few times I was teaching sex ed it was horrific and when I just made it into a more casual affair the students really opened up and were not afraid to ask so called "silly questions".
Is that of any help?

This was really helpful actually. Thanks! :smile:

Original post by visesh
It just comes with practice. You'll soon develop a matter-of-fact way of asking these questions. When I ask young girls if there is a possibility of them being pregnant (consenting for orthopaedic stuff that needs on-table xray) I just preface it with 'this is just a routine question I need to ask everybody'. Parents and the girls are usually okay with that.

I do that with adults if I have to ask something personal in a standard medical history, but with this actor, it was clear from the outset that the whole consultation was going to be personal, and that was something I just had hadn't experienced much of, more so, with a 15 year old.

I''ll heed to all your advice and just grab a female friend, practice taking more of these histories and hopefully get better in time. It''s just strange because I always thought I was comfortable with comm skills and tend to do better in those stations than clinical skills, but I guess I have now found my weak spot, and just need to work on it.

Thanks guys!
Original post by Medicine Man
Right, so I was being a complete nerd and writing up a voluntary reflection after our comm skills session this morning. Yeah, I know. Not cool. Our session was on "Difficult Conversations about Women's Health"

Anyway, just thought I would ask on here - how do males feel about asking young females questions about really sensitive issues about monthly cycles, regularity or lack of, painful menses, IMB, PCB, dyspareunia etc.? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty comfortable talking about this sort of stuff (and indeed my sexual histories have been described as "rather thorough" :ninja:), and I'm fine taking this sort of history from pre/post menopausal female adults (20's+), but today, I had to take a hx from an actor playing a 15yr old girl who had come in (mum was waiting in the waiting room) with painful, heavy, but regular periods (LMP was 10 days ago), in a fully consensual sexual relationship with a guy from school (think he was 16/17) who she regularly had unprotected sex with, missing school because of severe period pains, stressed about upcoming GCSEs, mum wasn't aware about the sexual nature of her relationship with her bf, and on top of all of this, had what sounded like vulvovaginal candidiasis... Yeah. Easy. You can see why I decided to reflect on it! :p:

Now, I just about got through that consultation and decided on a haphazard management plan (there was just so much to cover in a 10 min consultation), but It was really strange. I got rather paternalistic and phrased things much like an awkward dad would if he had to have "the talk" with his daughter. I actually realised this earlier on in the consultation, but I couldn't think of how else to phrase things so just carried on. This was reflected in the feedback I received from the actor who thought I was "overly professional".

I guess what I'm asking is, clearly, we should all be prepared for apparently "common" situations like this by the end of medical school, but how do others (particularly males - females seem to be slightly more comfortable with these conversations from what I have witnessed, though I could be VERY, VERY wrong) feel about taking sexual/obstetric/gynecological histories from young teenage females (as above) who are more often than not, sexually active? I struggled this morning. A lot. But hey, that's what these sessions are for right?

I'm male. I find it is important not to over-think the situation. A matter of fact approach works for me, these are questions which need to be answered for clinical reasons just like any other; emotions/feelings put to one side.

It also is important to have a clear idea why you are asking questions, so that if/when the patient asks 'why do you need to know that?' you can justify your curiosity. Even better, explain why before you ask (when appropriate).
I had to take a gynae hx solo in third year endo from an 18 year old girl in a burka + hijab, with a translator, who's PC was difficulty falling pregnant!

Initially her friend was going to translate but as soon as I askes the first question or two I could sense they were uncomfortable. I basically forced her into having a translator instead or I wasn't going to get an honest Hx. I think because I made the decision for them (the friend was well relieved she didn't have to hear all about the sex) they saw me in a more professional manner.

I think putting the age out of your head is helpful. Do you think you'd struggled if she was 35? The other thing is to not put sexual health on a pedastool. Would you have been the same discussing why the Pt should be controlling their insulin? Pts will realise immediately if you treat it different to any other consult.

I can't offer you help other than I think it will come with time. I'm lucky I guess in that I grew up with a sister, reasonably close to my Mam and I'm in a looong relationship so very few topics are taboo for me now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 809
Original post by crazylemon
Personally I found actually doing my Gynae rotation solved that, you just get used to it and it becomes more natural over time. STI placement also helped. Baptism of fire that one was...
People have sex at impressively young ages, learnt not to get surprised about it but just to check the situation is not an unsafe one.

edit: living in an otherwise al girl flat has somewhat helped too, if slightly distressing.

Heard about a case of a 9-10 year old girl undergoing appendectomy because nobody thought to do a pregnancy test, was an ectopic...

Not sure where it was, I'm sure I read it on here
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 810
Original post by Beska
Heard about a case of a 9-10 year old girl undergoing appendectomy because nobody thought to do a pregnancy test, was an ectopic...

Not sure where it was, I'm sure I read it on here

That's almost certainly abuse rather than voluntary sexual activity though.

I still find those conversations tricky even though I'm a girl. My teenage years were worlds away from most of the girls you'd see in a GUM clinic so my gender alone doesn't necessarily make me more able to relate/communicate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 811
On the subject, does anyone have any tips for asking about consanguinity? The language barrier normally makes this particularly difficult =\
Original post by Tech
On the subject, does anyone have any tips for asking about consanguinity? The language barrier normally makes this particularly difficult =\

Are you both from the same area? How do you know each other?

Make it friendly, like your their bro who isn't there to be judging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 813
Original post by RollerBall
Are you both from the same area? How do you know each other?

Make it friendly, like your their bro who isn't there to be judging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good approach man - thanks! :redface:
Original post by Tech

I did an SSC in genetics and consanguinity came up A LOT. Predominantly in the small Bangladeshi community where their options were very limited culturally. I **** you not, i drew a full family tree for one family, and it had like 5 closed circuits in it.

The geneticists were very forthright about it, they just asked the parents outright 'Are you two related in any way at all?', and sometimes if they were hesitant 'Do you two share any relatives that you know of?' and then dig to find out if it's a blood relation if they say yes.

Honestly of all the consanguinous couples i saw (and some were white-British as well), none seemed particularly embarrassed about it. Weirded me out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah I think it's something you just need to be straight about. You being uncomfortable or awkward just then translates across to the patient. The problem with "are you from the same area" or "how do you know each other" is that both can be answered without actually confirming or denying consanguinity - either "yes we're both from surrey" or "we're dating" so follow up questions will be needed.

"Are you related in any way" is a simple yes/no answer that gets the information you need. As long as you are confident and un-phased by asking it, I don't see why anyone would have any problems with the question. Especially if you precede it with "this is a question we need to ask everybody"

Just my two cents anyway. But then I don't tend to be that bothered by these sorts of questions (i.e. sexual/menstrual history etc). Maybe it's because I'm a woman, and maybe because I generally am quite open and happy to chat about stuff like that with my friends. The only time I'd probably be uncomfortable is if a guy was deliberately being lewd in such a situation in an attempt to make me feel uncomfortable, but luckily haven't come across that so far!
I did obs and gynae in Mansfield. Got quite used to consanguinity by the end.

On an unrelated note. I was planning on doing work this evening but instead played one game of 2048 with my housemates. For a shade under 3 hours. If we hadn't won I may have set fire to the house.
Reply 817
For consanguineous couples, the way it was described to me that was particularly helpful is that they deem it OK culturally, socially, ethically, etc. to be married/together/procreate so they obviously don't have a problem with it anymore than any non-consanguineous couple would - if they were absolutely disgusted with the fact and really embarrassed when you asked then they probably wouldn't be together. It's one of those cases where all of the embarrassment is purely on the side of the doctor and you just need to get over that hump. Make it one of those "I ask all my patients..." questions.
Obvious squint in 10 month old and the only treatment available is a patch. Useful or not?

All the websites I can find are just like 'treatments can include...'. Ok great but what do I actually DO???
Original post by nexttime
Obvious squint in 10 month old and the only treatment available is a patch. Useful or not?

All the websites I can find are just like 'treatments can include...'. Ok great but what do I actually DO???

My understanding is if it's in a GP setting you can give them a patch, but you need to refer them as well if it's a very visible squint. Particularly if it's not improved by 10 months. Might need surgery.

I could be totally wrong though so i'm open to anyone correcting me.

EDIT: Oh and if referral and surgery isn't available then god knows. Would still patch it though, can help with their vision at least.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending